Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2022, 04:29 PM   #1

7 December 1941

On this day 81 years ago my grandfather and my father were in Pearl Harbor.
My grandfather was stationed on the USS Argonne and my dad was in high school.
The Argonne was tied off along the pier with another ship tied along side. That ship was torpedoed by a enemy fighter and was burning. A tug pulled the burning ship out into the harbor to save the Argonne which was never hit although it did get strafed and 50 cal returned fire.
I have watched the oil drop rise to the surface from the coffin the USS Arizona became with a lump in my throat the size of a tennis ball.
As there is today. God bless this country and our soldiers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2022, 09:54 PM   #2

Thanks for sharing that story. It seems like Dec. 7 becomes less of a noted date in our nation's history with every passing year.

The Navy has started building a new USS Arizona:
https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/81...ew-uss-arizona
Old 12-08-2022, 08:37 AM   #3

Wonderful story. I am torn on the idea of naming a new vessel with the name of a ship that is still considered commissioned as I understand.

I worked with some people years ago whose dad had an album of photographs from that day at Pearl Harbor. I asked if I could see them, and was told they would make me a chance to look at them, maybe even get an electronic copy of them, but it never happened. I didn't push real hard, did not feel I had any great right to intrude upon the family treasure.

I met one of the daughters a year ago, but had forgotten about the photographs. If I have occasion to visit with her again, I may see if she got a copy of them.
Old 12-08-2022, 09:32 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As a former sailor I too am a bit dismayed at the decision to diminish the sacredness of the tomb that BB-39 had become.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
As a former sailor I too am a bit dismayed at the decision to diminish the sacredness of the tomb that BB-39 had become.

I served on the USS Texas (CGN-39) and USS Virginia which had more firepower than the battleships of the same name. At the time, we did not have a defense systems for the weapons we carried.

I happy that new ships that are among the most powerful protecting the world carry the same names.

My father was naval air stationed in Hawaii and on patrol on December 7th. Not long after, he and two of his crew were captured by Japanese but escaped. Most of the rest of the war was in Iceland hunting Nazi subs. Survived two plane crashes.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:08 AM   #6
Community Moderator

I have not been out to Pearl yet. But I am a veteran sailor with 9 years of service time. I am a little torn about naming a new Arizona, but I can understand it.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 05:07 PM   #7

My dad was in the Philippines during the war but never talked about it much.

Sad thing is that the younger crowd can’t and won’t ever appreciate the sacrifices made by all who served. Hats off to all who helped to keep our country free from dictators and tyrants.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 07:07 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
A group of us were talking about the bombing of Pearl Harbor and the start of WW II where I volunteer. One of the employees, a 28 year old female asked, "who won the war?" We don't need any more proof of the quality education these kids are getting!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 08:49 PM   #9

Thanks for sharing your story - I am not a sailor but a veteran and love hearing stories about our military and agree about we are tending to forget about Pearl Harbor more each year
DrT7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 06:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
A group of us were talking about the bombing of Pearl Harbor and the start of WW II where I volunteer. One of the employees, a 28 year old female asked, "who won the war?" We don't need any more proof of the quality education these kids are getting!
Exactly. I was conversing with a school librarian this week, and she was saying the kids don't learn any history these days (and precious little else of value, for that matter). She said the public school system has become a money-making scam (her words), and a voucher system is greatly needed to force the system to reform while allowing kids to escape to private schools which tend to do a significantly better job of teaching. She also said the kids are over-tested nowadays (not testing for comprehension of what they've just been taught, but general mandated tests done on computer with nationwide tabulation of results by some big corporation); she said the elementary kids at her school consider them so meaningless, they just click random answers and don't even try. The other thing she mentioned was the rampant behavior problems... not just the children, but the parents too!

It's been 50-60 years since teachers lost the ability to lead prayer in class and to teach kids the most cogent reason why they should exhibit moral behavior. So we are about 3 generations in with people who grew up without schools teaching the single most important thing about life, and we are really seeing the fruit of that loss.
Old 12-16-2022, 10:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexlion View Post

It's been 50-60 years since teachers lost the ability to lead prayer in class .....,,,,
I am ok with that as long as you use my prayer book. The one GW used.

Of course I took an oath to defend the constitution of the US, that requires separation of church and state.

Here is the deal. AL was my boyhood hero. Growing up I could walk to the public library. Now I have the internet. I have more knowledge at my disposal than AL or GW and the rest founding fathers.

Americans have the freedom and opportunity to transcend their beginnings.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 12:14 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
That's so sad.............
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 10:17 AM   #13

Following Sea - please realize separation of church and state IS NOT in our Constitution, but only in a letter Jefferson wrote in 1803, I think it was. But NOTHING like that in the Constitution.

Merry Christmas and Blessings.
DrT7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 11:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrT7575 View Post
Following Sea - please realize separation of church and state IS NOT in our Constitution, but only in a letter Jefferson wrote in 1803, I think it was. But NOTHING like that in the Constitution.

Merry Christmas and Blessings.
The First Amendment states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; …”

Please don’t claim that separation is not in the Constitution.
Backup RV: RANS Dynamik Duo tandem
JohnBike is offline   Reply With Quote