Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Sometimes, when you least expect it, one of 'those moments' happens that brings you to your knees. George Carlin said it..."life is not the number of breaths we take, but the number of moments that take our breath away"

Well, one happened to me this morning and I just have to share it. I headed to Wal-Mart to buy groceries (oh what a joy) and was greeted at the door by an older gentleman. I noticed he was a LOT older than the normal, just retired greeters at the front door, but of course I went on my merry way without another thought.

I did my shopping and headed to the check out stand when I turned around and there he was behind me! Again, he greeted me and asked me how I was doing. He had only one small apple in his hand and I offered to let him go ahead of me as I had a full cart.

His withered hand touched my forearm as he said thank you, but declined to jump in front of me. We both began a conversation with the man checking us out. The checker asked if the elderly man was on break and he replied he was hurrying to get back to his station at the door and he didn't want to run late.

As the checkout and our conversation progressed, I found out he grew up in the same town as Sam Walton, he knew the Walton family and told me he was "ahead of Sam in school because Sam was much younger than him"!

As it turns out, he went to work for Wal-Mart when Sam Walton opened his first store. He said he was married with a couple of children and Wal-Mart was a good living. He actually worked his way up to Assistant Manager at another Wal-Mart in Arkansas somewhere and retired before making Store Manager some years ago.

He moved to Houston to be closer to his children and decided the "retired life" wasn't much fun alone after his wife passed on, so he came back to work at my Wal-Mart.

Here's the epiphany moment that stopped me in my tracks. The checkout guy asked him when he was going to retire....again? The elderly gentleman smiled and looked at both of us and said.."I just turned 97 and I figured I'll work until I'm 100 and then I'll think about retiring!" Then he winked at us! I couldn't move!

He said to the checkout guy .."you better hurry and get this nice lady checked out and I'll pay for my apple and get back to my station...I'm late now!!!"

By this time, there were two other ladies with full baskets behind us...they were in tears and I was too. TIME DIDN'T MATTER TO ANY OF US at that moment. I leaned over and kissed him on his cheek and said "thank you" for making my day... by this time all three of us ladies in that line, plus several in the other lines who were listening to the conversation all of us began to clap and cheer as he paid for his apple and headed for the front door where he said goodbye to all of us as we headed out the door!

I apologize for this being long....well no I don't! Sometimes we need to be reminded there are still some wonderful people in the world whose sole purpose is to make others happy.

This little ole gentleman did today and he reminded me of a good number of other things as well that I need to be thankful for!

Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Sometimes, when you least expect it, one of 'those moments' happens that brings you to your knees. George Carlin said it..."life is not the number of breaths we take, but the number of moments that take our breath away"

Well, one happened to me this morning and I just have to share it. I headed to Wal-Mart to buy groceries (oh what a joy) and was greeted at the door by an older gentleman. I noticed he was a LOT older than the normal, just retired greeters at the front door, but of course I went on my merry way without another thought.

I did my shopping and headed to the check out stand when I turned around and there he was behind me! Again, he greeted me and asked me how I was doing. He had only one small apple in his hand and I offered to let him go ahead of me as I had a full cart.

His withered hand touched my forearm as he said thank you, but declined to jump in front of me. We both began a conversation with the man checking us out. The checker asked if the elderly man was on break and he replied he was hurrying to get back to his station at the door and he didn't want to run late.

As the checkout and our conversation progressed, I found out he grew up in the same town as Sam Walton, he knew the Walton family and told me he was "ahead of Sam in school because Sam was much younger than him"!

As it turns out, he went to work for Wal-Mart when Sam Walton opened his first store. He said he was married with a couple of children and Wal-Mart was a good living. He actually worked his way up to Assistant Manager at another Wal-Mart in Arkansas somewhere and retired before making Store Manager some years ago.

He moved to Houston to be closer to his children and decided the "retired life" wasn't much fun alone after his wife passed on, so he came back to work at my Wal-Mart.

Here's the epiphany moment that stopped me in my tracks. The checkout guy asked him when he was going to retire....again? The elderly gentleman smiled and looked at both of us and said.."I just turned 97 and I figured I'll work until I'm 100 and then I'll think about retiring!" Then he winked at us! I couldn't move!

He said to the checkout guy .."you better hurry and get this nice lady checked out and I'll pay for my apple and get back to my station...I'm late now!!!"

By this time, there were two other ladies with full baskets behind us...they were in tears and I was too. TIME DIDN'T MATTER TO ANY OF US at that moment. I leaned over and kissed him on his cheek and said "thank you" for making my day... by this time all three of us ladies in that line, plus several in the other lines who were listening to the conversation all of us began to clap and cheer as he paid for his apple and headed for the front door where he said goodbye to all of us as we headed out the door!

I apologize for this being long....well no I don't! Sometimes we need to be reminded there are still some wonderful people in the world whose sole purpose is to make others happy.

This little ole gentleman did today and he reminded me of a good number of other things as well that I need to be thankful for!

Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:52 AM   #3

What a great story, thanks so much for sharing with us.

WGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:04 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks . . . I needed a good story today!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wal-Mart when Sam Walton opened his first store. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Madame Boomer, is it possible to get a photo with nice gentleman. Would be nice to post his photo via phone camera with your story under meeting a "Wal-Mart American hero".
Wow, what a guy and what a story! DocUSAF
DocUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:55 AM   #6

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Thank you for sharing that with us. It's so nice to hear things like to balance out all of the awful stuff on the news lately. </span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Goodness attracts goodness.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #8

Was that the Supercenter on NorthWest Freeway. I'm going to stop in and ask about him?????
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:51 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
If it's Sandy's normal WalMart, it's at 249 and Spring-Cypress.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:35 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I just wanted to say that anytime I see an "elder" these days, I think of my parents, and treat them with respect. My Dad is turning 80 this year, Mom 79. They've been married fifty seven years. Each and every one of our "elders" has a story, a life story, and in most cases it is far more grueling and fabulous than we can fathom. With any luck, we'll all be old one day...

Brenda, of...
Old 08-17-2008, 09:48 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
This may hit home a little more to me right now... I happened to unexpectedly come across my Dad's obit 2 days ago (and he of course is from Arkansas)
I am convinced that Don's photo is of neither of us after readng this and bawling my eyes out. (of course that can change at at moment! )

Thank you for sharing...

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote