Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2017, 12:49 PM   #1

A question about GENTLE excercise.............

Hello everyone:
Last week while I was waiting in a conference people were talking about diet and exercice,a name came up for folks in my age range 70's
it was Ageless Yoga by John Schlorholtz,streching,breathing and routines to keep active.I would like to know if someone is practicing this system of excercices and do they work?.........If not, what is your favorite way to excercice?.I live in a rural area,50miles from a larger city with a gym....your
opinion .......please?araucano.
araucano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When at home have a gym membership and do the stationary recumbent bike and treadmill for cardio. Then do a round on the machines in the circuit room for strengthening.

Problem is, what to do when traveling and in the motorhome? Can walk for some cardio, but not as good as the bike or treadmill. Have some hand barbells for a bit of strength work, but not near like the circuit activity.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:14 PM   #3

I'm actually ok with yoga and such. The military use to feed me and provide exercise that was sorta like that.

Nowadays, I prefer to walk daily, outdoors, regardless of the weather.

I have property that requires some maintenance and repairs. Use a wood burning fireplace and like cutting and splitting my own supply.

Camping, hiking when we can.

And most important: spending time with other people. Lots of other people, such as a town or village (not a city for me). I have spent extended time at a remote, isolated area of the country and found this to cause paralysis.

So if going out to a class that offers some form of exercise and socializing is all you have, that is better than isolation.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #4

Good folks here:

https://www.thefitrv.com/workouts/
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #5

I studied at a place called the Himalayan Institute back in the 80's and began doing gentle yoga and other exercises. You don't need any equipment to do these. They really help maintain flexibility. I also walk or bike almost everyday. Having a dog really helps as it forces me to take short walks several times a day. I also belong to a gym and have a nice routine there but I don't get there on a regular basis. Diet is also a huge component...not strict just follow some basic things I learned St the Himalayan Institute.

https://shop.himalayaninstitute.org/...-joints-glands
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I'm nowhere near 70, but I took up Tai Chi decades ago after a health scare. It's calming, gentle all-around muscle movement & helps with balance. Adding small weights to the routine helps keep muscle tone. I can do that at home, in the RV...nearly anywhere. I also have a bicycle I take RV-ing if I want exercise that up's my heartrate or even just a brisk walk around the campground.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:00 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have adjustable bar bells, a variety of bungee cord type exercises that hook onto the rear ladder and just added a small pedal exercise thing that can sit on the floor for foot/leg exercise or on a table for arm/upper body workout and cardio. It is magnetically adjusted for tension cost about $150 on Amazon and I think might be called magnadyne or something like that. Very good quality I would recommend it. You can get much cheaper ones for about $40 or so.

Now if I can just find the discipline to use the equipment while on the road. At home I find using my equipment is easy, on the road not so much.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #8

Please, please, do not forget core work which is easy to do anywhere. When we are home I have been going twice a week for three years. At almost 69, I am one of the younger kids in class. People may think I am a little strange when they see me on my mat under the awning after we arrive somewhere and we are set up. I now have zero back issues after a long day behind the wheel. We need our core to keep us upright so during the day driving suck that belly in, sit up straight with your shoulders down and back as often as you are able. Your back will that you.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:00 PM   #9

People forget about the wide variety of body weight exercises that can be done anywhere/anytime . . . push ups, chair dips, chin ups, crunches, squats, lunges, step ups, calf raises, etc. As we get older anaerobic exercises become even more important!!!
Old 07-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I'm nowhere near 70, but I took up Tai Chi decades ago after a health scare. It's calming, gentle all-around muscle movement & helps with balance. Adding small weights to the routine helps keep muscle tone. I can do that at home, in the RV...nearly anywhere. I also have a bicycle I take RV-ing if I want exercise that up's my heartrate or even just a brisk walk around the campground.

Lori-
I have never tried that but seen some classes on tv and it looks like that would be a great exercise program. I will look in to seeing if it available locally.