Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
Just some food for thought regarding this Medicare discussion. When I went to my doc yesterday, she had a new sign on her waiting room wall - no new Medicare patients accepted. When I asked her she said the coming decreases in reimbursements meant she could no longer afford to accept new patients. We have two successful physicians in our family. Both are seriously considering leaving medicine this year. The business of medicine is not nearly as rewarding as it once was, plus medical treatment decisions are more and more made by regulators instead of physicians.

The mixed senior golf league that I participate in during the winter has 38 players, all older than 65. More than half have had knee, hip, shoulder or other joints replaced with prosthetics. One player had an organ transplant a couple of years ago. Five players that I know of had major heart surgeries last year. Medicare paid for all these surgeries. I just wonder. As we age, our bodies, like our vehicles, need a lot of maintenance and repair. We demand first class care. We then turn around and whine about Medicare's costs rising. I am not smart enough to know the answers, but it kind of seems to me that what we pay for Medicare may be a bargain. JMHO.
X2 Jzick when I hear about the insurance bills that a lot of folks have we thank God everyday for medicare and we dont complain what it costs (and won't) However remember " the cookie jar is empty"
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
Just some food for thought regarding this Medicare discussion. When I went to my doc yesterday, she had a new sign on her waiting room wall - no new Medicare patients accepted. When I asked her she said the coming decreases in reimbursements meant she could no longer afford to accept new patients. We have two successful physicians in our family. Both are seriously considering leaving medicine this year. The business of medicine is not nearly as rewarding as it once was, plus medical treatment decisions are more and more made by regulators instead of physicians.

The mixed senior golf league that I participate in during the winter has 38 players, all older than 65. More than half have had knee, hip, shoulder or other joints replaced with prosthetics. One player had an organ transplant a couple of years ago. Five players that I know of had major heart surgeries last year. Medicare paid for all these surgeries. I just wonder. As we age, our bodies, like our vehicles, need a lot of maintenance and repair. We demand first class care. We then turn around and whine about Medicare's costs rising. I am not smart enough to know the answers, but it kind of seems to me that what we pay for Medicare may be a bargain. JMHO.
Well said. I have been amazed at the level of health care provided by our government. Once thought (by myself in earlier ignorant years) as the last alternative for basic medical treatment. As my parents and I aged, found that to be very far from the truth. What an incredible benefit Medicare is that we take for granted.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #31
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
Your figure for 2012 is low by about $5+. I can't remember exactly what I pay, but it is in excess of $104.
I don't know how you are getting $104. My January SS deposit had $99.90 taken out for Medicare.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
I don't know how you are getting $104. My January SS deposit had $99.90 taken out for Medicare.
Mine also was $99.90 for January 2012. This chart shows if a couple's income is up to $170,000 the Medicare part B cost is $99.90/mo each for 2012.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Medicare-Part-B-income.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	17500  
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #33

One of the reasons I like this site is that the moderators avoid political intanglements and keep the focus on Rv's. The best way to keep this site friendly and open is to discuss our love of the RV life. We also can offer help and advice so that we can learn from each others experiences and continue to enjoy this activity. JMO
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
Some of us were in great shape with what we had beside social security retirement until the crash a few years ago.I have a warehouse that brought in $45000.00 a year that has set empty for the last 3 years,plus the money I sat aside for retirement, I can now make 1% interest on instead of 7 or 8 that was game plan.Luckily I have enough savings it will probably last if I don't live to long,but it sure slowed my traveling down.I'm sure I'm not the only one in that boat.
The original OP began this thread by quoting what he thought Medicare would cost in coming years that could change the way he traveled in his RV. And then ask if anyone else was feeling the pinch.

Reality is, that just like greezykid, many of us have had to adjust the way we travel not just because of what projected Medicare cost will be but because of everything else that has gone up. I personally thought the 3% increase in our SS was a joke and an insult. And contrary to some statements have been made, SS was proported to be our source of retirement income. Yes, we would enjoy a better retirement if we planned and invested wisely. Frankly, I don't see how people living on SS only will be able to make it if projected prices on fuel, food, home energy, etc all continue to increase at the rate it is going.

We certainly have changed the amount of traveling we do.

Dave
Old 01-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #35
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by denochs View Post
I personally thought the 3% increase in our SS was a joke and an insult. And contrary to some statements have been made, SS was proported to be our source of retirement income. Yes, we would enjoy a better retirement if we planned and invested wisely. Frankly, I don't see how people living on SS only will be able to make it if projected prices on fuel, food, home energy, etc all continue to increase at the rate it is going.
I have never heard anyone who knew anything about financial planning ever say that Social Security alone was enough to live on in retirement. It simply is not true. It is enough to survive on only if one lives in a low cost of living area. To be able enjoy retirement and travel in an RV or other comforts, one had better put a lot of investments away long before retirement time.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #36

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
Real easy. I had just written a bill for $104 and the figure remained locked in "memory". Obviously I had a brain fart, something not uncommon for me at my age! I apologize to you and any others for the incorrect info. Your figure is correct.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Sounds as if you are counting on SS as your only form of retirement income...if so, that was your first mistake. It is not, and never was, intended to be the sole source of income for your retirement.
The fact is there are many people who, by virtue of Wall Street greed, will be living on SS income. The first mistake was not placing their investment money in a mattress!

Jack
ElderlyOtaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #38
ljr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrobinryan View Post
And if things don't change soon, there might not be a Medicare for us to qualify for.
Three more years until I'm dragged in kicking and screaming. Is there hope?
ljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljr View Post
Three more years until I'm dragged in kicking and screaming. Is there hope?

That's a good question. I was forced to take Medicare last year. As a small employer with less than 50 employees, the government said I HAD to take Medicare even though our own health insurance was cheaper and had better coverage. The problem with Medicare as with many government sponsored programs is that waste, fraud, and abuse tend to dillute the benefits until none are left. Kind of like the one kid in school that acted up and ruined it for everyone else.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #40

iRV2 No Limits Club
My present medical insurance is free as part of my retirement plan. When I turn 65 in a little over two years and have to go on Medicare, my present insurance becomes a medicare supplimental plan. I'm budgeted for the Medicare premiums I will have to pay (the money is going into savings for new) but what happens if Medicare is gone or severely reduced by then (a real concern since so many politicians want to cut it back or out to "help" the economy)?
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #41

My AT&T coverage is the same way, but I have to chose 1 of 3 options. One of which there is a premium to pay. The coverage is close, but I need to make a call to find out what the difference it.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #42
ljr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
waste, fraud, and abuse tend to dillute the benefits until none are left.
And that's the money they borrow from China after they've stolen every dime from the trust fund.

All that wouldn't bother me so much if it just affected people who wanted it.
ljr is offline   Reply With Quote