Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
After 4 years of Retirement it's back to work.

My body thinks it's going to die. I hauled 5 loads of ready mix today, and man am I stiff and sore. Any one else done something so dumb! I should be Rving, but decided to fill the coffers for this fall and winter. Hopefully we will head south then.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We are workkamping this summer, so we can play this winter.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Retired in 04, in 08 went to work for Academy Sports and Outdoors. I wowrk pretty much when I want to, take off for trips, and best of all I get paid for talking about guns, hunting and fishing.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:09 PM   #4

I'm in the same boat. Retired 4 years ago, but it's time to think about recharging the bank account after our big trip (sse sig line).

I was thinking about WalMart greeter (really), but they are cutting them out in many stores. Now I'm thinking parts delivery driver for a dealership or parts store. I know that they have problems filling those positions with kids because of bad driving records amd general unreliability, and they usually like more mature people. It's also nice because you don't get stuck in the store for 8 hours standing on your feet.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I retired 3 years ago and unless the economy goes into a 1929 depression I will never have to work again. That said I do have a problem with a 25 year old mind trapped in a 66 year old body. My body just cannot do what my mind says it can do. Then we have a conflict and the body looses.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
I retired 3 years ago and unless the economy goes into a 1929 depression I will never have to work again. That said I do have a problem with a 25 year old mind trapped in a 66 year old body. My body just cannot do what my mind says it can do. Then we have a conflict and the body looses.
I think I suffer from that problem as well 25/63 syndrome!
Old 06-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
AGP

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post

You got that right. I retired 5 years ago I'm so busy I don't know where I ever found the time to work.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Back to work!!! D**n, I'm sorry to hear that.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kben39 View Post
Retired in 04, in 08 went to work for Academy Sports and Outdoors. I wowrk pretty much when I want to, take off for trips, and best of all I get paid for talking about guns, hunting and fishing.
Now that there is the kind of job I need. I'm just starting to feel to old for what I'm doing now, and I only work part time
Old 06-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I retired about 7 years ago. I was sorta forced into retirement by the powers that be and at first hated not working. Now, unless something happens to change things, I never intend to work for a salary again. Retirement takes some serious adjusting but once you get past the initial stage, it is great. But like others have said, my body and my brain are totally against each other. Brain tells body you can do it, body tries, then pays the price.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I hung up the tie and coat in 97, good pay but it was time. Started a house remodeling business in 99, doing well, bad auto accident, sold out. Got bored again, drove a school bus for 5 yrs then really retired. I am so busy that I don't know how I worked all those years. Only difference now, is I do what I want to do, travel a bit, ride the motorcycles, play bluegrass music, and enjoy the family, girls, grandkids, and great grandson. I should I add, with no pay. LOL
desertrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I retired in '98 at 51. Don't have to work but do just to keep busy and bring in a few $$ while waiting for the wife to retire.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
My body thinks it's going to die. I hauled 5 loads of ready mix today, and man am I stiff and sore. Any one else done something so dumb! I should be Rving, but decided to fill the coffers for this fall and winter. Hopefully we will head south then.
You gotta do what you gotta do. But why such a strenuous job?!?!?!

There's always next year.
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #14

While camping this weekend I met a retired gentleman and his wife that are working for a security company where they park their RV at the entrance to drilling sites here in Texas. Their job is to log each person/truck that enters and leaves the location. I believe they said they're paid $150 per day (roughly $4,500 per month). They stated that with the oil and gas boom here in Texas that they are needing to fill many of these positions. They are provided all the resources for their RV (a generator and fuel, a large water tank for fresh water, propane, septic tank, security lights, etc.). They work roughly 6 - 8 months to accumulate funds and then take off the other months to have vacation. Could be an interesting thing for consideration.
FrankandMike is offline   Reply With Quote