Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2015, 12:53 PM   #15

Last month we made a reservation at Happy Traveler in Tampa for 4 days. At least 45 days before our reservation date, we called and ask to cancel since my husband needed to have eye surgery. They said they would cancel but not refund the money for our stay, but we could come anytime within 12 months. They did not explain the cancellation policy to me when I called and made the reservation, nor did they tell me the whole amount would be charged up front. When I told them that, they said "Well we usually do". We ended up changing the surgery date instead of loosing all that money.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 02:10 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have never heard of that either. I'm glad you got to change your surgery date.
I guess I should have called and asked about a different date but I was so bummed out about not going, never thought of that but another posted suggested that..
I hope your surgery goes well and prayers to the surgeons hands, and to you also,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
There's a trick to this.
When cancelling on short notice, and you are offered a date in the future with no loss/forfieture, go ahead and make the reservation - at least 60 to 90 days out. Then call back week later, and cancel that reservation, without loss, as you are now cancelling with PLENTY of prior notice. ;^)

Love it! Great idea!
Cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:02 PM   #18

That trick is lying about it and frequently causing a small family business to lose money. We were in the lodging business and lost thousands of dollars due to this type of thing. A reservation is a contract. We promise to show up and they promise to turn away all others for you. They are dealing in a perishable product. When a site is empty, that revenue can never be recouped. We never charged if we rerented, but if a customer caused a room to be empty with a last minute cancellation when I had turned away others, I charged them and had no misgivings at all. There are a small % of folks out there who will lie and cheat about things.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:08 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We had made our reservations, paid full fee on arrival. Had to leave 9 days early, due to family medical crisis at home. As for refund on balance of days, of course the answer was no. Problem for me was that this place is hard to get in, and has a long waiting list. The other couple we were traveling with stayed. We left before 9:00 am. Someone else pulled in our spot by noon. GREED !!!😁. Where you ask? Creede Co. Near the airport.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:51 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Most campgrounds provide their rules either online or when the reservation is made. (And if they DON'T, then be sure you ASK.) Once you agree to those rules, you have no basis to complain when you don't hold up your end of the agreement.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
That trick is lying about it and frequently causing a small family business to lose money. We were in the lodging business and lost thousands of dollars due to this type of thing. A reservation is a contract. We promise to show up and they promise to turn away all others for you. They are dealing in a perishable product. When a site is empty, that revenue can never be recouped. We never charged if we rerented, but if a customer caused a room to be empty with a last minute cancellation when I had turned away others, I charged them and had no misgivings at all. There are a small % of folks out there who will lie and cheat about things.
There are others that do pretty much the same by renting the campsite out after the cancellation, keeping the reservation money without a second thought. I've never heard of anyone getting a credit when/if their cancelled site is rented again.

Stuff happens on the road, and in life. Plans must often change out of necessity.

Personally, I would never make a reservation if I thought I could get a site without one. I hate the idea of making that commitment. It's completely contrary to my lifestyle since retirement. That means the only time I'm interested in making a reservation is when I expect you're busy. Tough time believing that given several days you can't fill that site when you're busy.

Bottom line, it's a 2 way street...
Old 01-14-2015, 02:28 PM   #22

Actually, most honest owners will not screw their customers. Credit card processor usually ask the question about rerenting right away if the card holder disputes and will do the refund if it has been rented. Many times we had later reservations after giving a deserved refund. All business is a two way street. We rarely make reservations unless it is on a holiday weekend and have never been left in the lurch.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:31 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
When I read some of the above posts.......? ....and some wonder why all the rules and regulations that most places have in place these days..........Most are a full page! Rules and laws are made to correct problems...........
Old 01-15-2015, 10:26 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
There's a trick to this.
When cancelling on short notice, and you are offered a date in the future with no loss/forfieture, go ahead and make the reservation - at least 60 to 90 days out. Then call back week later, and cancel that reservation, without loss, as you are now cancelling with PLENTY of prior notice. ;^)
This the "Only" way to handle it! This way you're staying within the rules and everyone gets what they want. Happy Trails Y'all.
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:40 AM   #25

Except potentially the small family business who had an empty site that he had turned away somebody else for. That family is out the money, but don't worry, you are OK.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:49 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Okay last time, I don't care about the 50 bucks. I just found it unprofessional to treat a customer this way. I will bet you the 50 bucks, that they had the spot reserved with in 24 hours.
I didn't nor do I have plans for leaving the S&B this winter. So I didn't go to another CG.
Case closed
Thank you
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote