Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2022, 08:14 PM   #1

Alaska killing of family of 4 bears in Anchorage Homeless camp...

What do you guys think of this? Officials killed a sow, male and two cubs in Centinneal Park that was turned into a homeless shelter.
Good? Bad?
Discuss..

https://www.theblaze.com/news/alaska-bears-killed-homeless-camp
Homeby5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2022, 08:25 PM   #2

Discussing, where else are the bears suppose to go to get a buffet.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 09:10 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Mmm. The government “fixed” a “problem” by creating a new one. Sounds about par.

A family of bears? I thought males were solitary and the mother bears raised the cubs. Stupid Marlin Perkins said that as Jim was running for his life.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:23 PM   #4

What bear species ? Grizzley ?

If the sow was in heat , having a male around is a danger to all ; cubs, the male will kill to get to the sow , humans and just about anything else close by .

The presence of the male made immediate action necessary , sow and cubs if habituated to human food and garbage ; re-location no longer an option.

2019 here in Powell River saw over twenty black bears put down ; in the city limits . The Wildlife Officers try relocation and mark the bears , but roads in the area only go a certain distance back into the bush , a habituated bear would be back in 48 hours. For public safety , no options, no second chance.

It ain't pretty .. but!
Old 07-07-2022, 09:29 PM   #5

I love how we call them habituated........not angry we took their sh%$. Old man gets eaten by 11 foot alligator at newly constructed high end community in the swamps. But by all means let's drive electric cars to save the planet.... as we build on every last square inch of it. GO GREEN!
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2022, 09:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
A family of bears? I thought males were solitary and the mother bears raised the cubs. Stupid Marlin Perkins said that as Jim was running for his life.
You're correct , the female raises the young , the male was probably not the father of the cubs , only there to mate and wo betide anything or body in the way.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
You're correct , the female raises the young , the male was probably not the father of the cubs , only there to mate and wo betide anything or body in the way.

The mating season for brown bears extends from May until early July.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2022, 12:49 AM   #8

Many years ago we stayed in that park. Bears roam the Anchorage city areas all the time. It really surprises me that the city would relocate so many homeless in that park in tents. They obviously carry everything they own including most likely, some food and toothpaste which bears love. Sure the bears are going to have a free for all. Come and get it! Yes, the bears needed to be removed or killed as they would continue to return. But this isn't the bears fault. Also, with so many living in that park are they going to stay in tents all winter? Brrr!

An excerpt from the article:

"Anchorage officials had shut down the city's largest homeless encampment on June 30 and sent homeless people to a city-run space called the Centennial Campground. About 210 homeless people live there according to city officials."
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2022, 03:34 PM   #9

This is strangely familiar to what immigrants did to the First People on the N. American continent. Now animals are being "relocated" or eliminated when they become a bother.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2022, 04:12 PM   #10

When we colonize the outer planets we'll have only the microbes to push around.
Old 07-08-2022, 04:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
This is strangely familiar to what immigrants did to the First People on the N. American continent. Now animals are being "relocated" or eliminated when they become a bother.
Manifest Destiny?
Old 07-11-2022, 09:40 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I wonder why they didn't just relocate them?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2022, 10:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandoug1 View Post
I love how we call them habituated........not angry we took their sh%$. Old man gets eaten by 11 foot alligator at newly constructed high end community in the swamps. But by all means let's drive electric cars to save the planet.... as we build on every last square inch of it. GO GREEN!
And your solution is?
Old 07-11-2022, 10:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I wonder why they didn't just relocate them?
Relocating a tranquillized male could end up in another bears territory and a battle that could result in both males fighting to the death.

Relocating a female in heat could result in attracting multiple males to the drop site , a danger for the relocation team who would have to stay with the female and cubs, and defend themselves and the bears, till the tranquillizer wore off.

I'm sure the wildlife officials took all options into consideration ; and they're in a " Catch 22 " situation .
They get criticized no matter what action they take .
Bears come back; and people get hurt ; they didn't do enough .
They put the bears down , they did too much.

I hate to say this but ; whoever described these four bears as a " family " doesn't know bears.

Tags
alaska