Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2021, 08:27 PM   #99

I didn’t renew my Amazon Prime. Instead I’m giving Walmart+ a try. So far so good.
KM1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2021, 06:25 AM   #100

For me the big advantage of Amazon is convenience. In my area, most orders arrive within a day. I’ll shop at WallyWorld in person, usually early in the morning.

I have noticed that prices on Amazon are often not the best deal anymore. Some prices also tend to vary quite a bit. You can track the price history of any item on Amazon by using the website https://camelcamelcamel.com . It’s also know as 3camels.

People should also be aware that there are a lot of fake reviews out there. The website https://www.fakespot.com/analyzer can give you an idea of the reliability of reviews for a given item. Fakespot works on Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, and a few others.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:50 AM   #101

Entegra Owners Club
That lower price of an item is if the order is more then $25. Also known as bonus items. Not all Prime items are a $25. minimum purchase. Prime is still next day or two days depending on your location. Walmart is now charging $98 for free shipping for orders under $35. No freebee there.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:23 AM   #102

Both are good for many of the reasons stated. One thing I appreciate about Amazon is that you can find parts or products that Walmart or local shops don't carry. I might need an RV part or some other product that would take hours to drive to and I might otherwise go without...
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:19 PM   #103

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Walmart (and McDonald’s) have the most employees on Medicaid and food stamps. Therefore we all subsidize their workers whether we buy there or not. Amazon has put out a statement that says they support a minimum wage raise to $15 an hour.

I prefer to buy as many things as possible at Costco because of quality, ease of return, and the benefits that their workers receive. I also try to buy local whenever I can.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:20 PM   #104

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Over the years there have been Hundred's if not thousands of posts on Wally Mart.

Just recently I have noticed that My Amazon Prime now requires a $25.00 minimum to qualify for free shipping, -

Don't get me wrong - But - what am I paying for? Think we may look at cutting the Amazon String, I canceled the Washington Post Years Ago.

Just getting ready to order a few things and as I worked up the order the $25.00 minimum came up. Granted, Bezos needs the $$$ - - -

So I went to Wal*Mart to see how the Pricing was - First the items were Less - Second the Shipping was free and three days faster than Amazon.

Just checking, as I cannot tell you how much I have ordered from Amazon for the old Travel Supreme.

What say you Class A Group, -
I agree with you and guess what eBay is just as fast too Waly had this policy 35.00 minimum to free shipping but I dont think any more is the case.
Inventor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:01 PM   #105

amazon vs wally world

When I travel, and park and sleep at a Wal Mart...Blocking no telling how many spaces..I try to do as much shopping as I can with Wal Mart. I don't even think about Amazon. The rest of the time I try to spend money with the "little man." These smaller, locally owned businesses need support too. I really hope the smaller family owned stores and eateries make it through these crazy times. MOMCAT
momcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:12 PM   #106

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by momcat View Post
When I travel, and park and sleep at a Wal Mart...Blocking no telling how many spaces..I try to do as much shopping as I can with Wal Mart. I don't even think about Amazon. The rest of the time I try to spend money with the "little man." These smaller, locally owned businesses need support too. I really hope the smaller family owned stores and eateries make it through these crazy times. MOMCAT
Yes I agree that is the American and humanly thing to practice
Inventor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:43 AM   #107

I just checked our Amazon account as we are Prime members. We have ordered multiple times in February and all were zero $ shipping, even with some orders being less than $25.00. Perhaps you should call them. We returned an order from Christmas and noticed they only refunded a small amount. They had made a mistake by charging us shipping to return, but they quickly refunded. May just be a small hitch in your account. Good luck.
Brasnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:05 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
Over the years there have been Hundred's if not thousands of posts on Wally Mart.

Just recently I have noticed that My Amazon Prime now requires a $25.00 minimum to qualify for free shipping, -

Don't get me wrong - But - what am I paying for? Think we may look at cutting the Amazon String, I canceled the Washington Post Years Ago.

Just getting ready to order a few things and as I worked up the order the $25.00 minimum came up. Granted, Bezos needs the $$$ - - -

So I went to Wal*Mart to see how the Pricing was - First the items were Less - Second the Shipping was free and three days faster than Amazon.

Just checking, as I cannot tell you how much I have ordered from Amazon for the old Travel Supreme.

What say you Class A Group, -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasnick View Post
I just checked our Amazon account as we are Prime members. We have ordered multiple times in February and all were zero $ shipping, even with some orders being less than $25.00. Perhaps you should call them. We returned an order from Christmas and noticed they only refunded a small amount. They had made a mistake by charging us shipping to return, but they quickly refunded. May just be a small hitch in your account. Good luck.
OP here - - Embarrassing ... Some time ago DW canceled prime -

Apparently we discussed this one evening - while seeking a Prime show they wanted to Charge for it - I said "Just cancel Prime then" - She DID!

So I've been months of using non prime ordering - really never noticed any difference as in our area Prime delivery was taking 5-7 days HONEST - I used to use this as a place to order Thousands of $$$$$ worth of supplies monthly - not so much now - and it had actually gotten to real two (2) DAY DELIVERY.

Covid Happens and we go to 5-7 days - and when I called and asked what am I paying for they said they were doing the best they Could. - No refund.

Sooooo ....... what I was stating actual happened - Just it was not with a Prime Account - Checked with my son and his Prime orders are all around 4 days now, some faster some slower.

So for me the Moral of the story is ...... Unless I need to have things Quickly but not reliably quickly then I need to put more $$$$$ in Bezos Pocket. - - not going to Happen, as I usually have time to wait and often can get things faster from another Source, with not Membership Fee. -

So I will continue to Buy On Line - just will always SHOP for the Best Deal.

Live in the Country so it's not likely that things will change for me.

Thank you all for keeping this discussion lively and well Fun. -
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:56 PM   #109

First I'd have to ask why pay for prime when you can almost always get free shipping anyway if you'll just wait a few days?
Second why would you get prime or the prime like account Walmart is selling and here's the reason. You will stop shopping price when you've paid for the prime or prime like service?
So here's the deal for me. Walmart puts a brick and mortar store just a half mile from my house where I can get almost anything in a few minutes. Amazon does not do that. Walmart pays taxis and collects taxes for my town. Walmart pay wages to my friends and neighbors and Amazon does not.
Don't get me wrong, I have my issues with walmart too and I will buy from Amazon if walmart doesn't show it or the price is much different.
All in all Walmart gets my business and quiet often I can get a much better price on walmart if I'm willing to invest a little time.
johnmontgome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:50 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmontgome View Post
First I'd have to ask why pay for prime when you can almost always get free shipping anyway if you'll just wait a few days?
Second why would you get prime or the prime like account Walmart is selling and here's the reason. You will stop shopping price when you've paid for the prime or prime like service?
So here's the deal for me. Walmart puts a brick and mortar store just a half mile from my house where I can get almost anything in a few minutes. Amazon does not do that. Walmart pays taxis and collects taxes for my town. Walmart pay wages to my friends and neighbors and Amazon does not.
Don't get me wrong, I have my issues with walmart too and I will buy from Amazon if walmart doesn't show it or the price is much different.
All in all Walmart gets my business and quiet often I can get a much better price on walmart if I'm willing to invest a little time.
Just a bit of clarification and balance:
Where I live, Amazon has a large distribution warehouse, a return center and a call center employing many locals, and pays state and local governments taxes on assessed values on the properties. Amazon collects state sales taxes and distributes them back to the state. We don't have local sales tax, but the state distributes moneys to the cities from its collected sales taxes.

Walmart has problems such as accidents in parking lots, illegal parking. fights. and everything associated with dealing with the public. That takes up a police enforcement time away from other duties. Amazon doesn't have these types of problems.

So in that regard, is one retailer really better than another? Or do we need both companies to support competition in retail sales?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:34 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmontgome View Post
......All in all Walmart gets my business and quiet often I can get a much better price on walmart if I'm willing to invest a little time.
I question the wisdom of "brand loyalty" which is not in my vocabulary. Whomever is the cheapest/fastest gets my business. "It's my money and I want it now"
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:47 AM   #112

Tiffin Owners Club
We are not Wally World fans, here in our area they have become the go to grocery and as such they often have their house bands replacing the brands I want. As far as other items, they are my go to 'store'. We've been prime members since it was introduced, we were comped membership originally and it has remained a good value for us. I often shop for made in the USA, and always hit the prime button. They are actually the company we compare service to, whether local or online. We're small-town and have very limited shopping within 25-50 miles of our home, we LOVE Amazon. Shopping is not fun to me, I want to find what I want and have it delivered ASAP, my time is more valuable than saving a few bucks.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote