Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #15

Reading this thread is enough to put you to sleep!
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post

I am aware of that and try to drink tea later in the day/evening.
Even decaf tea may have a significant amount of caffeine. Try switching to water for a week. Here is information from the Mayo Clinic nutrition site.

Type of tea
Brewed tea
Black tea 8 oz. (240 mL) 14-61 mg
Black tea, decaffeinated 8 oz. (240 mL) 0-12 mg
Green tea 8 oz. (240 mL) 24-40 mg
Iced tea
AriZona Iced Tea, lemon-flavored 8 oz. (240 mL) 11 mg
Generic instant, unsweetened 8 oz. (240 mL) 26 mg
Lipton Brisk Lemon Iced Tea 8 oz. (240 mL) 5-7 mg
Old 10-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I have insomnia and it sure doesn't put me to sleep. Took one 12.5mg ..........

Booze would work, but i don't want to fall in that trap again.
Call your Dr and explain this to him. He may know of something that wil work for you. Ambian works for me but I don't like the side-effects and it doesn't work as well as Xanax. But Dr's fear their patients getting addicted to Xanax so it may not be easy to get.

I never had a drinking problem but would not take the chance by using alcohol to help me sleep those nights I toss and turn.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #18

I thought about that and I think my P.A. would go for it. Too soon to tell if what I have will work.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Definitely be careful with your Ambien dosage ... especially if you are taking it without someone else around. I've had direct experience with family members that have taken prescribed dosages and have woken up during "sleep" and been complete zombies going around doing "normal" things - with ZERO recollection of waking up and doing anything the next day.

The news reports of people driving while on Ambien and not knowing about it - I 100% agree that this is possible. I always take away and hide the car keys when anyone is taking it
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ask for some Trazodone HCL.. Start at 50mg (in your case, 100mg). you can work your way up to 200mg or even 300mg in a pinch. 200mg works for me most nights.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #21

iRV2 No Limits Club
I used to work night shift and now suffer from what I call "shift lag". I can sleep like a baby during the day (the only thing that wakes me up is my bladder) but have trouble getting to sleep at night. I recently learned having ADHD (which I do) can also cause the problem but I never had problems sleeping at night until after 5 1/2 years on night shift; mayhap the two in combination?. It's been 3 1/2 years since I told my last employer what they could do with that job and retired but I still have the problem.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #22

OK Dunner,
I don't know you but love your input on the forum. Someone as creative as you needs a good night sleep!
Don't laugh but meditation helps, a lot. If there is a class nearby, give it a try. Even a meditation CD would be helpful. That in combination with the right meds, and hopefully you get some rest.
By the way, meditation can be done laying down. No yoga poses needed.
Best of luck!
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:25 PM   #23

I've tried the regular Ambien twice - not the CR. Both times I found myself getting very emotional about everything and falling into a depression. It didn't happen overnight, so it took awhile to recognize it as such. I stopped taking it, and the gray fog lifted. Please be careful.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Reading this thread is enough to put you to sleep!
Reading your post is enough to get me points toward a toaster over.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #25

If you r in one of the 16 states that allow medical marihuana you might try that. Surely it's healthier than pharmaceuticals. And no side effect other than munches. I know many that use it for that very reason.
bodean614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
Even decaf tea may have a significant amount of caffeine. Try switching to water for a week. Here is information from the Mayo Clinic nutrition site.

Type of tea
Brewed tea
Black tea 8 oz. (240 mL) 14-61 mg
Black tea, decaffeinated 8 oz. (240 mL) 0-12 mg
Green tea 8 oz. (240 mL) 24-40 mg
Iced tea
AriZona Iced Tea, lemon-flavored 8 oz. (240 mL) 11 mg
Generic instant, unsweetened 8 oz. (240 mL) 26 mg
Lipton Brisk Lemon Iced Tea 8 oz. (240 mL) 5-7 mg
I buy it 4 gallons at a time. Instant coffee has no effect on me, other than giving me an upset stomach if I drink more than one large cup.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
A visit to your Doc should be the first thing you do. I use to take sleep aids also, but didn't like the dragging butt feeling in the mornings. Since I quit the soda pop (diet too) and started walking alot I can usually hit the sheets and sleep like a baby. No one has mentioned any exercise other then meditation. You might pick up a beginning Yoga DVD and try it out. I have found the breathing it teaches you has a real calmimg effect.

BUT, you really need to see the Doc, not a PA, to see if there is an under lying problem. Also, if you are taking any meds, new or old, see your Pharmisist (sp?) and ask if any of them could be the cause. Or, even google your meds for side effects. Good luck and hope you get the rest you need.

As a side note; if you can, park the Segway and walk.
sgtjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
Definitely be careful with your Ambien dosage ... especially if you are taking it without someone else around. I've had direct experience with family members that have taken prescribed dosages and have woken up during "sleep" and been complete zombies going around doing "normal" things - with ZERO recollection of waking up and doing anything the next day.

The news reports of people driving while on Ambien and not knowing about it - I 100% agree that this is possible. I always take away and hide the car keys when anyone is taking it
I could shackle one foot to the bed or sleep naked. Either one should get me stopped by a local constable if I wandered off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I used to work night shift and now suffer from what I call "shift lag". I can sleep like a baby during the day (the only thing that wakes me up is my bladder) but have trouble getting to sleep at night. I recently learned having ADHD (which I do) can also cause the problem but I never had problems sleeping at night until after 5 1/2 years on night shift; mayhap the two in combination?. It's been 3 1/2 years since I told my last employer what they could do with that job and retired but I still have the problem.
I think my main problem is taking a nap any time I get tired. There have been nights that I was working on a project and didn't want to stop. I could go for 48+ hours without sleep. Lack of sleep is cumulative; it will catch up to you. I've had days where I couldn't wake up, yet could nap and still sleep at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
OK Dunner,
I don't know you but love your input on the forum. Someone as creative as you needs a good night sleep!
Don't laugh but meditation helps, a lot. If there is a class nearby, give it a try. Even a meditation CD would be helpful. That in combination with the right meds, and hopefully you get some rest.
By the way, meditation can be done laying down. No yoga poses needed.
Best of luck!
I do a lot of meditation. That's what usually keeps me awake. Some times, my mind won't shut off. I'm a DIY inventor and am almost always thinking of something to build. My family room is now a machine shop with 3 lathes, drill press, two milling machines, band saw, welders etc. I would rather build a tool than buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance Chick View Post
I've tried the regular Ambien twice - not the CR. Both times I found myself getting very emotional about everything and falling into a depression. It didn't happen overnight, so it took awhile to recognize it as such. I stopped taking it, and the gray fog lifted. Please be careful.
After the last episode, I'm extra careful of when and how much I take. I have a white board that I have always used to write down the med and time I take it. Never less than the recommended 4 hrs between the heavy stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodean614 View Post
If you r in one of the 16 states that allow medical marihuana you might try that. Surely it's healthier than pharmaceuticals. And no side effect other than munches. I know many that use it for that very reason.
It is legal in AZ.

Years ago, I tried some and it made me paranoid unless I drank. I'm sure it was of low quality and I could get some good stuff, but it is still a Federal offense. If I could get the right seeds, I could build a green house for personal use. Knowing me, I'd get busted the first time I asked.

If I have to be on anything, I would rather it be pain meds for my back. I pretty much know how to how to dose myself to it.

Several years ago when I went into the hospital for a gall stone they called it Aspirin Intoxication because I took 4 aspirin for the pain. Anything less than 4 aspirin does nothing for me and does not cause excess bleeding. I'm definitely different, but I know my body and how it reacts to meds.