Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2019, 06:11 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our truck has DRL and I like it. But when towing I often run with my lights on manual, so that the trailer is lighted as well.

Also, if I turn on the wipers, the lights come on automatically. We see many in the rain with wipers on and no lights.... dumb dumb dumb.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2019, 07:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
No, what the U.S. needs is driver training. It’s far too easy to get a license (and keep one).

Technology is no substitute for a good driver -well, that may be untrue in the near future.
just curious on what exactly the difference in testing between the two?
Old 12-25-2019, 08:49 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Do the array of LED's around the headlights of new cars serve the same purpose as a DRL, i.e. make the vehicle visible to approaching traffic?
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandcarol View Post
Do the array of LED's around the headlights of new cars serve the same purpose as a DRL, i.e. make the vehicle visible to approaching traffic?
Not if they are not turned on. I'm a truck driver and when I cross the border from Canada to America i have to increase my diligence to compensate for the many vehicles that are driving in my dark blindspot.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:53 PM   #19

Driving with Headlights off in the Dark

Back in the 70 as a kid, and later in the 80's when I got my license, no one had DRLs, or automatic on headlights, except for maybe the occasional Cadillac. 99+ percent of drivers had to manually engage their headlights.

Today with so many cars with DRLs I see many people driving with the DRL on and all of the other lights off at night. Then when you catch up to them at a traffic light, almost always you will see their dash lights illuminating their faces.

Me? I live in the Sierras for over a decade and you learn quickly to drive with your headlights on day or night. With the countless corners, trees and careless drivers crossing the center line, doing so often alerted the other driver to your approach saving your life.
Ten years on, I again live in a major metro area, and often drive with my headlights on in the daytime. In the RV we almost exclusively drive with the headlights on. Doing so seems to deter others from pulling out in front of us as we approach intersections.

I believe the difference is people today are relying on the car to do everything for them. Whereas decades ago, you had to rely on You to engage your brain.
Old 12-25-2019, 10:02 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm with you Monacoach. DRL's should be mandated on all vehicles.

When I bought my 2004 Monaco I took it back to the dealer because the DRL weren't coming on.

The dealership said I'd have to pay $200 for them to work. They only worked standard for Monaco's sold in Canada.

It's wired for them but a DRL relay has to be added to Monaco's sold in the United States to make them function.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:10 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
In most states its the law. For whatever reason its not enforced. My silverado is almost 4 years old and I've never turned off the drls.
Janjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:23 AM   #22
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
My mistake I thought they had passed the DRL legislation but i was incorrect. I do stick by my original premise however that nationality aside you can't make people use technology even if it is safer. They will always come up with reasons to turn it off. I have heard the "I don't want extra wear and tear on my alternator". As rediculous as it is it is a mindset that can't be altered. There are others that want to be hit for insurance scams. I combat this with a dash cam.
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
The ones that really get me are the morons who deliberately shut off their DRLs.

Why? There is absolutely NO advantage to turning them off.
Bulbs do not burn out unless they are used, this extends to turn signals.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 06:21 PM   #24

If I was King for a day, there would not be any light switches, just high/low switch. Key on- all lights on. No reason not to, batteries and charging systems are up to the load.
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 07:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentw View Post
If I was King for a day, there would not be any light switches, just high/low switch. Key on- all lights on. No reason not to, batteries and charging systems are up to the load.

I agree 100 percent but there will always be people who feel their rights have been trampled on....... I say the right of safety is most important.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:09 PM   #26

Maybe the auto manufacturers should follow the motorcycle industry. When I start my bike, all the lights are on. There is no way to turn them off!
My truck has the automatic lights. They come on at dusk when there is still enough light to see.

As far as pulling my toy hauler, I run all the lights, even headlights all the time.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:20 PM   #27
doc

Appalachian Campers
We have inclement weather law here. Don't know about other states
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:37 PM   #28

I might be going out on a limb here, but I’m pretty sure all cars manufactured or imported into North America today are equipped with DRL. Turning them on is a simple programming change in the ECM.
In Canada DRL are mandated as are many other regions of N America.

Tags
light, lights