Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2018, 09:46 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Annette and me or Annette and I?

I'm confused (as usual)! When we studied grammar back in the day we were taught that to determine whether to use "I" or "me" just take out the first word and see if the sentence sounded right.

For example, "The company threw a party for Annette and I" OR "the company threw a party for Annette and me". If you take out "Annette" then it's obvious that "I" would not sound right.

These days I frequently hear very educated people use the "I" as in that example. Have the rules changed?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #2

The 3rd option would be me and Annette
AudiDudi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I'm confused (as usual)! When we studied grammar back in the day we were taught that to determine whether to use "I" or "me" just take out the first word and see if the sentence sounded right.

For example, "The company threw a party for Annette and I" OR "the company threw a party for Annette and me". If you take out "Annette" then it's obvious that "I" would not sound right.

These days I frequently hear very educated people use the "I" as in that example. Have the rules changed?
Well, English is a "living" language and is constantly evolving. Remember when "irregardless" was incorrect? It is now acceptable.

As far as your example, the use of "I" is incorrect not just because it sounds incorrect with the "Annette" removed, but because it is the subjective form of the pronoun being used in the objective part of the sentence. Yes, educated types use it incorrectly but that doesn't make it correct. If enough "educated" types use it incorrectly, it may very well evolve into a proper usage.

Oh yeah, let's not forget the English irregularities. "I" is used when following a form of "to be", such as "is." When you answer the phone or knock on a door and someone asks, "Who is it?", the proper answer is, "It is I," which is using the subjective pronoun in the objective position. Personally, that never sounded right to me, and apparently most people, because the most common response is "It's me."

Enough of the grammar for today. Let's not even mention "who" and "whom."
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #4

Who's on first!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:01 PM   #5

How about "I seen the dog running across my yard". I'm a redneck and it still drives me crazy.
Slickrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #6

How bout prolly!
Old 05-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Well, English is a "living" language and is constantly evolving. Remember when "irregardless" was incorrect? It is now acceptable.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless
Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #8

whatever
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:09 PM   #9

It is a shame the way some people carry over talking the same way they use electronic communication. Soon you will not be able to understand what they are saying.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:14 PM   #10

If it is the subject of a sentence, us I, as in "Annette and I received a gift from Sam." If it is the object of a sentence, use me, as in "Sam gave a gift to Annette and me."

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:29 PM   #11

Nothing has changed. You are hearing that from younger people that have never diagrammed a sentence and don't know what to use when speaking...or why.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

And, I laugh when I hear "Professional" speakers (media and business) that do not pronounce the "T" in the middle of many words - i.e. Button is bu-on and important is impor-ant.

These "liberties" with grammar are epidemic with younger folks. They may be educated, but that is a direct reflection on the current education system
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
If it is the subject of a sentence, us I, as in "Annette and I received a gift from Sam." If it is the object of a sentence, use me, as in "Sam gave a gift to Annette and me."

Joel
That's what I was taught as well. Problem is, I don't think students are taught to diagram sentences anymore so they don't know what is a subject or object (or for that matter adverbs, adjectives, nouns, pronouns, prepositions...etc.)

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 03:31 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We just have waaaayyyyy too much time on our hands.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote