Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #1

another reason for not paying with cash

I just came from the store and got took for $10.00;
I only had a few small items and decided to pay with cash; the gal rang them up and I handed her a twenty, (big mistake) usually when I pay with cash,I roll up the bill before handing it to the clerk; this way I know the clerk has to unroll it, (they hate this) but I got short changed one time before when I gave the clerk a twenty and got change for a ten. I messed up this time and forgot to roll up the twenty; she gave me change for a ten. I told her that I gave her a twenty and she said no you didn't; I saw her put the bill (the twenty)in the drawer real quick.under the tens. She pointed to the drawer and said;see all tens, I saw her slip my twenty under the tens but jumping over the counter and lifting the tens up to show her was out of the question.
Just another reason to not pay with cash.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That stinks. My biggest reason not to pay with cash is because it's easier to use Quicken and track where my money is being spent each month.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #3

That would be when you ask for a supervisor and request that the drawer be counted out.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post
That would be when you ask for a supervisor and request that the drawer be counted out.
Tried that the first time I got took: That ten went in that clerks pocket so quick; Im sure the drawer would come out right. all they need do is take a ten out of the drawer, put it in their pocket before hand, and then wait for a mark.
These people have done this many times before and know all the tricks.
At the end of their shift, if they haven't got a mark yet, all they need do is slip the ten back in the drawer. Could do it with fives too.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I spend cash very day, and for the past 35 years, from the time I was 15. I do not know of one time that someone has given me SHORT CHANGE.
But I do spend cash money daily on my way to and from work. I stop in a store for coffee and each morning I get coffee and something like a donut or food. Those clerks tell me the total and tell me the amount i gave them, then tell me my change due.
But I would never waste my ti e or more so the clerks time ROLLING up my money. I guess when I'm in line, some other shopper is rolling or crushing up the bills making the line go slower so he will be sure not to be short changed.

But I think that if I was short changed I would tell some one
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmasters View Post
I spend cash very day, and for the past 35 years, from the time I was 15. I do not know of one time that someone has given me SHORT CHANGE.
But I do spend cash money daily on my way to and from work. I stop in a store for coffee and each morning I get coffee and something like a donut or food. Those clerks tell me the total and tell me the amount i gave them, then tell me my change due.
But I would never waste my ti e or more so the clerks time ROLLING up my money. I guess when I'm in line, some other shopper is rolling or crushing up the bills making the line go slower so he will be sure not to be short changed.

But I think that if I was short changed I would tell some one
Your first sentance; You do not know?
Old 11-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #7

I spent 30+ years in the restaurant business and if that happened I would have counted the till down and solved the issue ASAP. Then you have a happy customer.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No Cash for me

For about 5 years all of my purchases go on my Visa card that provides air miles and other benefits. It makes it easy to track all of my purchases. I don't care if I buy a pack of gum, it goes on the card. Last winter the DW and I went to Figi using our air miles ( flights and hotels) Now I have to admit that I run a business and a lot of my business expenses go on the card as well, but my DW racked up a very substantial number of air miles on her personal card. I use a no fee air miles Visa card and my accountant loves the idea. I use the free online accounting (Quiken) to manage my account and it works for me and the tax department.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
We use a no-annual-fee rewards MasterCard credit card for (effectively) ALL our purchases. It costs nothing, Sandy just flew to Ohio to see the kids using rewards points, and I got a computer replaced when the factory 1-year warranty had expired using the extended warranty provisions of the card that automatically applies to such purchases. It also makes it much easier to download transactions directly to Quicken to keep track of our spending.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #10

From now on; everything goes on the card; no expections.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
melvonar,
Sorry that happend to you. To help avoid that problem, I ALWAYS announce the denomination of the bill I tender to the clerk;
If the total is, for example $6.95 and I pay with a $20, I will clearly state "out of $20" as I'm handing the money to the clerk.
That way, any potential dishonesty is thwarted by the clerk knowing beforehand that I am aware of what I am tendering.
I have never had a problem with ultimately being shortchanged since I started doing that many years ago. Even in the few instances when the clerk did not correctly make the change, it was quickly corrected, because either the clerk remembered me saying the amount aloud or there were witnesses who heard my statement.
As to rolling the bill, the clerk can simply state that you were working in collusion with a previous customer who paid with that bill and you were following up with the "take away." The "travelers" have used that ruse through the years, so it is not effective, particularly up and down the Eastern Seaboard.
I agree that "plastic" has some advantages, but it also introduces another host of opportunities for dishonesty. We must always maintain our "street smarts" to protect our hard-earned money whether it is cash or plastic. Thanks for the heads-up.
Take care,
JimG
Good man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:08 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
You could tear a small corner off the bill before you hand it to them, damaged bills get sent in to be replaced, but if there was a problem you have the matching piece. Collect enough of them and tape them together and make a whole new one, lol.
oldcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good man View Post
melvonar,
Sorry that happend to you. To help avoid that problem, I ALWAYS announce the denomination of the bill I tender to the clerk;
If the total is, for example $6.95 and I pay with a $20, I will clearly state "out of $20" as I'm handing the money to the clerk.
That way, any potential dishonesty is thwarted by the clerk knowing beforehand that I am aware of what I am tendering.
X2
My favorite line is "sorry the smallest I have is a $20".

Family members with retail stores have always taught sales clerks that the customers bills are never put away until their change is given to them.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
From now on; everything goes on the card; no expections.
People make mistakes, both customer and clerk. I worked at a bank and if ever there was a descrepancy, the till was balanced. Believe me people would try and say they gave me a 20 when indeed they gave me a 10. Instead of assuming someone is a crook, call a supervisor and have the issue resolved. I have thought I gave a twenty, but actually given a ten, my mistake. And crumbling your money, making the clerk unroll it is very rude.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote