Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2018, 11:09 PM   #15

Any baseboard heat near that wiring.

Plumbers tend to char things while sweating in hydronic heating.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2018, 03:52 AM   #16

X2 what Twinboat posted

Could also have been scorched before it was installed. May have been laying too close to a space heater during construction.

It has been working for 20 years without issue. However, if it is easy to replace then do it. The peace of mind is worth it.

The top photo looks the worst. The outer jacket, however, is not nearly as important as the insulation on each individual conductor.

Cutting out the bad section and adding two receptacles at the cut points with new cable between them is another option.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyer1201 View Post
Why would they be using aluminum wire?
Because back in the day el-cheapo builders used Aluminium Romex wire to save money. I would not work for said builders. Building department finally outlawed it in home wiring except for the main services and some larger (6 ga and larger) think heater, ranges. I still refuse to use it.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:06 AM   #18

You might try attaching new wire to old and pulling it to the next recepticle location to save some drwall repair.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:11 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
VERY carefully, so as to not cut the wires inside, cut open that white covering so you can see the wires inside. If they look like they've been hot then you need to replace the wire. If they're fine then that tells you that something likely happened to discolor that wire before it got installed in the house. If that's the case then close your incision, wrap it up with electrical tape and go on with what you'd originally planned to do.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Thank you all ! The more confirmation the better I feel as I'm not an electrician. Also, thanks for mentioning it has to have a junction box if it's to be cut and joined. The worst of the 'burning' is well into the hole in the next stud. As such, you could not even cut it there.

However, the next outlet that that damaged wire will run to is only about two feet away on the next wall. So I think the smart move would be to cut more drywall, expose the next outlet, take it off of there and then replace the entire run between outlets.

I just hope the whole house is not full of half-burnt wires like that. The house was built in the 90's and is otherwise a quality home.
I'm gonna upset some of my colleagues here I'm sure. If the house was built in the 90's it is NOT ALM wire. If you can open the wall and replace the wire easily, by all means, do so. BUT, in my 45 years of playing a licensed sparky, I have seen this many times but have no explanation of why it happens. Before you start opening more drywall, cut open the outer covering of the romex and expose about 1' of wire in the area of the discoloration. Examine the three wires inside the sheathing you just removed. If the wires inside look good with no discoloration, I would just get some good quality 3M black electric type and apply 2 layers and call it good. The 3M tape is rated for 600 volts just as the romex covering is. The individual wires inside the romex also are 600 volts. We install split-bolt connectors with much higher voltage and cover them with tape all the time. See where I'm going here? If it makes you sleep better, by all means, replace it. Then you can go to bed and think about how many more places look like that????? It's been there for 20 years. Life goes on.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:14 AM   #21

Code says the wire should be fixed ( stapled ) within 6 or 8 inches of the junction box. Makes it tough to pull new wire, with the old.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:17 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
VERY carefully, so as to not cut the wires inside, cut open that white covering so you can see the wires inside. If they look like they've been hot then you need to replace the wire. If they're fine then that tells you that something likely happened to discolor that wire before it got installed in the house. If that's the case then close your incision, wrap it up with electrical tape and go on with what you'd originally planned to do.
Click image for larger version

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	57
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	221153
Old 10-02-2018, 02:26 PM   #23

Using the old wire to pull through a new one may work if you can expose both ends and remove the staples near each box. Holes drilled in studs in pictures look liberal in size. If you have to turn a corner or go under or over obstructions it could get difficult. If you cut holes in the drywall at each box, you may need to cut the holes up higher so you can reach the horizontal run of holes drilled in the studs. It is not easy to pull around 90 degree corners.

If you try this, spend time making the connection at the old to new wire as smooth and secure as possible, Shoulders on this connection will catch on everything. I would typically cut back the outer jacket, hot, and neutral about 4"-6" on each piece. Bend a hook in each ground wire remaining and hook them together. Use electrical tape to secure the hooks closed and smooth the transition between the jackets on the end of each cable.

Good fishing!
Old 10-02-2018, 02:30 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Fishing it through won't work. You'd have to see the holes in the studs to get it but it's a right angle at the wall and if we're concerned that kinks have caused the discoloration I'd rather run a new wire to the next socket which is not far away.

The issue is one of drywall. We have to cut more of it to get to the next socket. If we do that then all is well. Unfortunately, my parents have a phobia about it. I told them it's nothing to get a drywall guy in to fix it but it seems to have lodged in their minds as the biggest obstacle. I'm looking at it and saying, 'just cut the damn wall, expose the line, replace it, get the glass sliding door in there, get a drywall guy to make it look good and then paint it and done.
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Fishing it through won't work. You'd have to see the holes in the studs to get it but it's a right angle at the wall and if we're concerned that kinks have caused the discoloration I'd rather run a new wire to the next socket which is not far away.

The issue is one of drywall. We have to cut more of it to get to the next socket. If we do that then all is well. Unfortunately, my parents have a phobia about it. I told them it's nothing to get a drywall guy in to fix it but it seems to have lodged in their minds as the biggest obstacle. I'm looking at it and saying, 'just cut the damn wall, expose the line, replace it, get the glass sliding door in there, get a drywall guy to make it look good and then paint it and done.

Drywall cost should not be too much higher with the "extra" holes. Biggest part of cost is the trip cost to return after each coat/dry cycle. Actual work time is not much more.

I agree, life is short. Fix it and move on.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:14 PM   #26

Try scrubbing the jacket with some good cleaner. Nothing petroleum based that will attack the jacket. If it's just dirt then it will wash off. If over heated then the color will go all the way through and you can't clean it off. I've seen wire discolor just from age and air moving in the stud cavity.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I'm gonna upset some of my colleagues here I'm sure. If the house was built in the 90's it is NOT ALM wire.
Hindsight is 20/20. No one including yourself knew the age of the house when the question was asked so I'm not sure why you would think anyone would be upset.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Hindsight is 20/20. No one including yourself knew the age of the house when the question was asked so I'm not sure why you would think anyone would be upset.
I am NO WAY upset. There is no hindsight involved. I said I was gonna upset my colleges based on the complete information I provided. Not just the first sentence.

Tags
electric