Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2011, 02:32 AM   #29

Had a nice '70 Satellite 2-dr hardtop, then traded it in on a new '74 Charger, first new car I ever bought.
Drove a '59 Plymouth Fury in a demo derby in 1971, nothing left of it.
Also had '75 and '78 custom vans and '92 and '97 Caravans.
Wife has '06 Turbo PT Cruiser convertible.
Sequim Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
I learned to drive in a '52 Dodge 6 cylinder 4 dr with a fluid drive transmission. That was the most forgiving stick transmission ever made. You could't stall it if you tried.
That was my mother's car, but I've owned a '61 Valiant wagon, '64 Valiant 2 dr hard top, a '65 Valiant convertable, '70 Plymouth Fury III 4 dr, and a '71 Plymouth Surburban station wagon. All the Valiants had the slant 6 with push button drive. Great driving & riding cars. Got rid of the '64 because I wanted the convertable. Mistake, should have kept the '64. Same thing on the '70 Fury and '71 Surburban wagon, should have kept the Fury. The Fury had the 318 and the wagon came with the 360 with all the new anti-pollution junk on it. It got about the same mileage as an M-60 tank. However, it was actually my intro into RVing. I pulled my first travel trailer, a '70 Serro Scotty 15', from Tallahassee, FL across the US to Vancouver and back with it. What a wonderful trip that was with some great lifetime memongest daughter who at time was commuting 100 miles going to nursing school. It had about 150,000 miles on it when she finally sold it. Not actually mine, but the wife bought a '02 Chrysler 300. It was a nice car but the 6 is all that came in them at the time and she really wanted a little more pep. She traded it in on an '05 turbo charged Mercedes SLK which she still has. None of my MoPars were the "hot" versions, but they all good driving comfortable cars that served me well.

Those slant sixes were bullet proof just don't drive through a deep puddle and get the distributor wet, I learned all about WD40 back then
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a '66 Belvedere in High School, your basic 4 door sedan with the 318ci. Nothing special but that back seat was great at the Twin Sky-Hi drive-in......
Also had a '78 Volare' which was a very comfortable car, but a real piece of junk. It rusted out in 4 years and I went through 5, count 'em, FIVE starters in 5 years. Chrysler deserved to go bankrupt after that one.
Also had a '96 Dodge Ram, went through 2 diffs and a trans before I gave up on MOPAR. What a shame.....
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
mahon1993

I noticed you are in Fowlerville, Michigan, thought you might like to know that every July there is a "Mopars at the Red Barns" car show at the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners. You are not very far away and there are some very nice Mopar muscle cars in attendance every year.

Welcome to the Gilmore Car Museum
Located midway between Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Battle Creek, and Lansing, MI - just minutes from I-94 and US-131

As a Mopar fan do you remember these?

Yea "Done there, been that"??
The Gilmore museum is a great place. I was to the Mopar show many times. Took first place in my class with the 1937 Plymouth.

I grew up on the far east side of Detroit. In Detroit back in the day, you were either from the "East Side" or the "West Side". Woodward Av. divided the city in half. It runs right up the middle from downtown to Pontiac. The annual Dream Cruise runs on Woodward from Eight Mile Road to Pontiac. Only about 40,000 cars and a million people show up in August. Just a small quiet affare.
Most of the Ford plants were on the west side and most of the Chrysler and GM plants were on the east side. One of my Uncles worked at Dodge Main and another at Detroit Gear and Axel [GM]. Therefor, most westsiders were Ford fans and most eastsiders GM or Chrysler. Most eastsiders would go racing on Gratiot Av.,a main road heading north from downtown out to Mt. Clemens. My older friend Larry had a 1960 Plymouth with a built 426 Hemi that he would run "Modified Production" [MP] at the strip. Sometimes Larry would take it up on Gratiot and raise some hell.

Back then the Big Three would unofficially use Woodward as a testing road for their latest hot engines. The drag racing scene across the country was very big back then. They would take a new hot engine and put it in a plane-Jane sleeper and let some young engineer "take it home for the weekend" for a little test drive. You would see some wild stuff back in the 60's.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
I bought a 66 Coronet 500 383 4bbl, torqueflite in 1972 for $800. This car I bought for DW after selling her new car. It was a little clunky riding but man would it perform. I buy nothing but Dodge trucks, now a 2004 1ton cummins.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #34

1968 Dodge Charger 383 automatic....first car after college.
1973 Duster 340....first car after I married.
1977 Plymouth Volare station wagon....first car after our first child. 13 Recalls on the Volare Wagon. It got to the point that the car wanted to turn in at the dealers every time I drove past there.

Would like to have the 1968 Dodge up on blocks in the garage.
Meandering Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:04 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Had a 65 Chrysler 300L with the 413 hemi, a great romping and stomping beast but way to heave to ever be considered a hot rod. Traded that for a 69 Charger RT with the 440. That was the last of my hot Mopars - went to a Firebird Trans Am after that.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #36

The 413 was a 'Wedge' engine, as was my 426 Stage III.
The Hemi was a 426.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Let me clarify is this thread for Old Guys that like mopars, Guys that like old mopars, or any combo of the above
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
Let me clarify is this thread for Old Guys that like mopars, Guys that like old mopars, or any combo of the above

Yes, that is correct. You got it.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #39

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
57 Plymouth I think it was a Belvedere - not sure -
65 Plymouth Valiant convertible blue slant six that ran very good against small v8's
68 Plymouth Satellite 383 2 barrel posi traction rear end black on black -ran great
74 Plymouth Satellite Sebring 318 2 barrel - bought new - had some problems
87 Plymouth Voyager -the most unreliable car I ever owned - loved the design
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
My first car was a 1964 Dodge 330 4-Door Sedan (a former police car). I bought it in 1975 and still own it today, in spite of it having been stolen and chop-shopped in 2010 (I tracked down and recovered almost all of it - see this article for photos of it before and after: Stolen Car: Has Been Found & Brought Back Home! )

My first MH was a 1975 Dodge Sportsman F40 Class C, and I currently live in it full time (see my avatar for photo of her.)

I love Dodges. Given the choice, I always pick an old Dodge over everything else.
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Mine was a '64 Dodge 330 sedan with the 383 Interceptor engine, mated to a 3 speed manual tranny - around town I would get about 10 mpg but wind it out on the freeway around 100 mph I'd get a respectable 16 mpg! The Highway Patrol sure knew how to spec their engines and drivetrains!

I bought it for $600 in 1970 from the original owner - the proverbial little old lady. Her husband had originally bought it for towing a trailer but then never got around to buying the trailer! Their son drove it until he bought a Saab Sonnet (anyone remember them?) and sold the Dodge to me.
OMG! Me too! See my last post above this one. My 64 330 was also a former police car. I still have mine, had it since 1975, am the second owner. Do you still have yours?
EelKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #42

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lessee now..My parents had a '55 DeSoto Hemi,one of the few on the west coast and I learned how to drive on that one.It was pretty much unbeatable in the stock class at Shelton airport.Three across and everyone went when the flag dropped... They then traded it in on a '58 Plymouth Custom Suburban with a 318 4BBL and then that one on a 61 Desoto,last year.After that they went to a Chrysler big block in '63 and then a Volare.
My first car after getting married in '63 was a '55 Plymouth Belvedere and then a '59 Plymouth Custom Suburban which I traded in on a '65 Chevy Nova..Oh well we all make mistakes,except for the fact that it really was a hot car in it's class. In '68 we bought the Dodge Charger 383 4BBL and drove that one for over 9 years. About all I did to it was to put a hot coil and aftermarket dist,etc. It was amazing that it got better gas mileage the faster it went. My pasrents lived in Pullman Wa and we lived in Tacoma and I made several solo trips there and back where I got it up to 125-135 in a small group of cars and got as much as 20mpg..
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote