Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2022, 12:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmattb View Post
Not super clear, but I would assume that "Recovery Strap" means that it is intended to be used to attach to a second vehicle, stretch and use the kinetic energy to apply force to the stuck vehicle. If so, it will stretch about 25 percent of its length.

I maintain that the chain is the best choice for use with the come-along.

I have an electric winch. I also carry the chain, a short chain, a big come-along, a tree sling, shackles, snatch block, shove, hi-lift jack, stretch and snap, soft shackles, tools, tire repair kit, spare parts...

I go to remote places and like to get back out.

That 'recovery strap' is just a standard tow strap Not Snatch Strap

Habor does also sell a 'Recovery Snatch Strap' which are clear marked on the strap
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2022, 12:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
That 'recovery strap' is just a standard tow strap Not Snatch Strap

Habor does also sell a 'Recovery Snatch Strap' which are clear marked on the strap
I will say the name on the former is misleading, and otherwise defer to your better information.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmattb View Post
I will say the name on the former is misleading, and otherwise defer to your better information.
Marketing 101.......
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 03:10 PM   #18

I will say that all of the straps I have seen on the shelf at Harbor Freight are just tow straps, I have never seen any elastic style straps there. Not saying they don't have them, just never noticed them.
Old 05-31-2022, 03:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
That is why when winching/using a come-along/tow strap etc one should throw a heavy mat/rug/your coat over the line/strap so that energy is directed downward and not flaying about like a buggy whip

Better yet is to use the winch rope they now require if you are using your winch in any competition. It is stronger that wire rope and when it breaks, it does not recoil, just lays down. I have replaced the wire rope with it on both of our UTVs.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 03:49 PM   #20

Many years ago I used the set-up you are talking about to pull my 3/4 Ford up out of the ditch the drive wheels had slid into, and it took hours because the strap would stretch 5-6 feet before the truck would start to move and I would have to reset to get more pull. A better way would be to get about 50 feet of 7/16 cable with a hook sliced in one end a couple 20 ft chains and a cable jack. Solid, simple and reliable! Come-a-longs especially those little 4000lb ones will crap out when you need them most. I have a couple left over from my gold dredging days that are bent and busted to remind me why not to buy any more of them.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 04:15 PM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNiceTent View Post
Many years ago I used the set-up you are talking about to pull my 3/4 Ford up out of the ditch the drive wheels had slid into, and it took hours because the strap would stretch 5-6 feet before the truck would start to move and I would have to reset to get more pull. A better way would be to get about 50 feet of 7/16 cable with a hook sliced in one end a couple 20 ft chains and a cable jack. Solid, simple and reliable! Come-a-longs especially those little 4000lb ones will crap out when you need them most. I have a couple left over from my gold dredging days that are bent and busted to remind me why not to buy any more of them.
I plan to buy the 8000 lb. one!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 05:00 PM   #22

From my construction experience I carry nylon no-end slings . They are circular , so you just loop it around a hard point and thread it back through to complete the attachment .

The Construction industry has moved away from chains for most hoisting except for Critical Picks , which are in the 15 ton and up range.

They are light , compact , easily stored and can be connected together to create what ever length is needed .

I also have a portable 12v winch , snatch block and shackles that I carry in our toad that can attach to any of the 2" hitches on the MH or Toad .

I've found Come-a-longs have their limits and chains are too heavy to carry for a " might happen" situation .

Funny thing is , I haven't yet had to use any of the items . I consider them my security blanket .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:01 PM   #23
PKI

I find this information quite helpful. Come-a-long will stay home and get used for the light weight tasks it is designed to handle. Now that winch ... maybe .......
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:12 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
I wouldn't do it. The size you need is really heavy and if I had it I would be tempted to use it. They break in funny ways and they suck for anything but dry conditions and short moves. Better to call the tow.
I agree. If I got enough money and time to get in trouble, a tow truck is a cheap fix.

I've seen to many time a chain or strap or winch cable broke and did more damage than we started out with.

That come along from Harbor Freight is about 1/4 what you would need to pull a 4wd truck stuck in the mud out. If you're going to buy something by a receiver mounted winch that you carry. One time cranking on that come-along and you'll be calling a tow truck anyway.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:45 PM   #25

I think the come a long is a good idea and will get you out of some situations where it doesn't take much. Mired in deep mud probably not a good idea. I use to keep one in my side by side in case we had to come out the way we went in and no one was with us to pull us out. Never used but did end up putting a winch on the back and used it a few times.
As for the straps that's all I'll ever use anymore and am not afraid that damage will happen if it breaks, a light sweater is enough to stop the recoil. I try not to get into places where we will be in trouble but do have a winch on the Jeep, plenty of straps and snatch blocks. Only had to use the winch once but if we didn't have it we would have been walking for hours just to get cell service then see if we could get anyone to come out there.
I worked in steel construction (equipment manager) and all that they use is nylon straps now rarely chains even for the heavy picks it's mostly nylon straps.
Old 06-04-2022, 01:46 PM   #26

I think the come a long is a good idea and will get you out of some situations where it doesn't take much. Mired in deep mud probably not a good idea. I use to keep one in my side by side in case we had to come out the way we went in and no one was with us to pull us out. Never used but did end up putting a winch on the back and used it a few times.
As for the straps that's all I'll ever use anymore and am not afraid that damage will happen if it breaks, a light sweater is enough to stop the recoil. I try not to get into places where we will be in trouble but do have a winch on the Jeep, plenty of straps and snatch blocks. Only had to use the winch once but if we didn't have it we would have been walking for hours just to get cell service then see if we could get anyone to come out there.
I worked in steel construction (equipment manager) and all that they use is nylon straps now rarely chains even for the heavy picks it's mostly nylon straps.
Old 06-04-2022, 02:16 PM   #27
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I should have explained that I was not sunk in deep mud. The old logging road was covered in pine needles and very slick. I tried to turn around the got into some shallow mud on the side of the road. That's all it took because I didn't have any traction at all! Just a light tug was all it took to get me out.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 02:35 PM   #28
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I do some off reading with my Wrangler. It is equipped with a winch. Tying to a sturdy tree works well, assuming that you are close enough for the length of your winch line. I carry a ground anchor and it can be used in those times. Might be something to look into.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad