Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2020, 10:42 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Anyone here ACTUALLY from or currently living in South Dakota?

What’s it like? I need to get out of Virginia for good. Looking for someplace that I think has values more aligned with my own.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2020, 10:52 AM   #2

Not living there but have several family members there. I would think that would be a great place to live, I have visited several times and like what I see.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:53 PM   #3

Give Portland, OR or Seattle, WA a try heheh just kidding. Furthest I was living was in Cody, WY. I have visited Watertown, SD and loved it there. Only stayed about a week but it is a very nice laid back community. About 20k people I believe.
gertpacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:03 PM   #4

We’re South Dakota “ residents” but live in the coach full time. We’re currently in Spearfish at the Elkhorn Ridge in the western part of the state.
It is a wonderful state with great people.
The neighborhoods look great at the homes are very very nice. I have know idea what they cost. I’d live here in a minute but it’s not near family.
If you’re looking for a red state the you won’t find one a lot redder. The western half is the redest if that’s what you have in mind.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:33 PM   #5

People live there? Do they have tunnels between the house and workshop for the winter?
Old 07-03-2020, 01:44 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
People live there? Do they have tunnels between the house and workshop for the winter?
Not sure about tunnels...but...they don't let a weather forecast of snow accumulation of 1" paralyze the state like they do in the OP's Virginia.

Take care,
Stu
Native Montanan

P.S. I walked to school, thru the snow, uphill (both ways) when it was 54 below zero (F). Not wind chill, -54F actual temp. OK, it wasn't uphill.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:57 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
You Montana peeps are cra cra
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:28 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
You Montana peeps are cra cra
It takes all kinds of people to make the world go around.

I spent years looking down on virtually all areas of the country and it always struck me that, no matter how desolate, I knew that there was someone who thought that was the most special place on the planet. Even South Dakota.

My last visit to Montana in the winter was for a funeral. -12F, absolutely no wind, very, very light snow falling with the snowflakes shining like stars in the sky for the graveside service...absolutely gorgeous.

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjohnson913 View Post
We’re South Dakota “ residents” but live in the coach full time. We’re currently in Spearfish at the Elkhorn Ridge in the western part of the state.
It is a wonderful state with great people.
The neighborhoods look great at the homes are very very nice. I have know idea what they cost. I’d live here in a minute but it’s not near family.
If you’re looking for a red state the you won’t find one a lot redder. The western half is the redest if that’s what you have in mind.
I was actually checking out Elkhorn Ridge on the internet this morning. Looks great.

Thanks all for the feedback. I’m going to visit as soon as I get a few nagging health concerns taken care of.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:33 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Not sure about tunnels...but...they don't let a weather forecast of snow accumulation of 1" paralyze the state like they do in the OP's Virginia.

Take care,
Stu
Native Montanan

P.S. I walked to school, thru the snow, uphill (both ways) when it was 54 below zero (F). Not wind chill, -54F actual temp. OK, it wasn't uphill.
Funny, but so, so true.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:53 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
My wife and I visited our daughter and S-I-L several times when they were in the Air Force stationed in Rapid City. Like the rest of the Great Plains states, there are wide stretches of some pretty desolate areas that are absolutely beautiful in their own way. The one thing that impressed me was how incredibly windy it was every single time we visited and it was totally relentless! I’m guessing the only thing blocking the wind was a barbed wire fence somewhere along the Canadian border!
Old 07-06-2020, 11:01 AM   #12

Best Friend - Sister I Never Had Lives There

My friend lives in Mitchell, SD and it is awesome. I loved when I took a drive out there. That is one of the places we are headed at some point to visit - maybe next year.
Redneckmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:59 AM   #13

the badlands is so awesome you'll think you're on another planet.
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:44 PM   #14

I don't live in SD but have been going for 20 years to pheasant hunt. We've grown up with the family who owns the ranch, 3rd generation. We also have spent some time traveling and staying in SD on many RV trips.

If I made a move out of Maryland, I would put SD top on the list. The people are it's greatest assets.