Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2017, 09:32 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I started mine early because we needed the monthly cash. Having a heart attack at 56, and not being able to find a job in my economically depressed area made it pretty much necessary. I had 35 years in IT before mergers, RIFs, and, in one case, 9/11 budget cuts put me out on the street. There are times when being a well-paid, older white male works against you in a tight job market. And I know I'm not alone, by any means.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2017, 09:34 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One group of people who wont chime in on this discussion are those that planned on waiting until 65 or later to start drawing Social Security, but died before they got there.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:35 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
I retired at 65 in 2005. I lived very well for the first 6 years. We were able to save a thousand dollars a month for the 6 years. BUT, (there is always a but.) just as I retired the government decided that they were not going to give raises to the retired folks that had paid into the system, BUT were going to give all the money to other sources. If you are well off, I would say retire early and see this great country. If you are just comfortable, I would suggest you work longer.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Took mine at 63 instead of 66. No regrets for me.

The travels we made in those three years sure did beat going to work and depending on holidays and vacation time for travel. We travel between 2 and 4 months out of the year and I could not do that if I were still working.

Savings, other sources of income and being debt free are key to being able to retire early.

Work toward it and make it happen.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:38 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
There are over 8,000 different ways to draw social security. Please seek out an expert.

The only experience I can share is from hearing someone that said to take it as early as possible and knowing someone that passed to early to draw anything.
Thanks for the reply. But my question is do any of you regret taking SS early?
Old 06-09-2017, 09:40 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I retired at 65 in 2005. I lived very well for the first 6 years. We were able to save a thousand dollars a month for the 6 years. BUT, (there is always a but.) just as I retired the government decided that they were not going to give raises to the retired folks that had paid into the system, BUT were going to give all the money to other sources. If you are well off, I would say retire early and see this great country. If you are just comfortable, I would suggest you work longer.
Not exactly sure of what you are saying here. Would you explain more?

"just as I retired the government decided that they were not going to give raises to the retired folks that had paid into the system, BUT were going to give all the money to other sources."
Old 06-09-2017, 09:42 AM   #21

No regrets, I retired at 62 and started collecting SS. We paid off our house loan just after we retired. Easy street!
Old 06-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
One group of people who wont chime in on this discussion are those that planned on waiting until 65 or later to start drawing Social Security, but died before they got there.
I wonder why that is...
Old 06-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminJersey View Post
I started mine early because we needed the monthly cash. Having a heart attack at 56, and not being able to find a job in my economically depressed area made it pretty much necessary. I had 35 years in IT before mergers, RIFs, and, in one case, 9/11 budget cuts put me out on the street. There are times when being a well-paid, older white male works against you in a tight job market. And I know I'm not alone, by any means.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
Took mine at 63 instead of 66. No regrets for me.

The travels we made in those three years sure did beat going to work and depending on holidays and vacation time for travel. We travel between 2 and 4 months out of the year and I could not do that if I were still working.

Savings, other sources of income and being debt free are key to being able to retire early.

Work toward it and make it happen.
NO regrets... thanks for sharing
Old 06-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #25
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvethereyet View Post
I think there is more to this story... care to share?
Not really, just that I've heard that if you live a fairly long life then you will draw more money in total.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:11 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a great job that I really enjoy. We're able to snowbird a few months a year when things are slow at work. Whenever I talk about retiring, the boss says I can't retire yet and gives me a pay raise...

We're in good health (knock on wood), no debt, so will probably take SS at 70 when I'm forced to, and keep working until I can't.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
No regrets, I retired at 62 and started collecting SS. We paid off our house loan just after we retired. Easy street!
No regrets. Thanks for sharing. I am looking for Easy ST. Can you give me directions?
Old 06-09-2017, 10:15 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I have a great job that I really enjoy. We're able to snowbird a few months a year when things are slow at work. Whenever I talk about retiring, the boss says I can't retire yet and gives me a pay raise...

We're in good health (knock on wood), no debt, so will probably take SS at 70 when I'm forced to, and keep working until I can't.
WOW the boss must like you. Good on you. Just wondering. What kind of work do you do that allow you to be gone in the winter months.
Closed Thread