Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #295

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
The fourth Wednesday of this month I will get my first Social Security check. I turned 64 on May 30. If I waited till I was 65 it would take me 13.4 years to make up the money I would've lost by not taking it at 64. I'm not a gambler but this seemed like the best choice for me. My lifestyle is healthier than my parents but my dad died at 66 and my mom at 67.
I am healthier than my parents at 63 when they were at my age. My dad died at 71 and my mom died at 76. That played a big part into my thinking when I decided to collect at 62. I am not a big gambler either.

SS is not the big part of my income. Just a little icing on the cake.

As I said earlier, no regrets.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2017, 07:00 AM   #296

Thor Owners Club
Neither early nor late seemed like the perfect solution to us, so we're opting for the middle ground. I'll file at FRA (66 for me) in less than two years, and a few months later DW will turn 66 and "file and restrict." She's one of the last who will be allowed to file for spousal benefit only, while letting her own benefit grow 'til 70. (Only works for people born before 1/1/54.)

We did the same "break-even" analysis as everyone else, and lots of spreadsheets, but in the end the deciding factor for us was that we didn't "need" to take it at 62 (I was still working part-time), so we could afford to let it grow, at least for awhile. We have enough other income (investments, IRAs, and a small pension) to be comfortable now, and we were more afraid of needing the higher benefit later than of leaving money on the table when we die. To me, the scariest possibility is to outlive your money.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:09 AM   #297

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
As a guy in his late 30's. I'd be happy to get any benefits at any time. Entire thing is a big ponzi scheme anyways... Wish they would give me my money back i paid in and not pay me anything.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:38 AM   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
Neither early nor late seemed like the perfect solution to us, so we're opting for the middle ground. I'll file at FRA (66 for me) in less than two years, and a few months later DW will turn 66 and "file and restrict." She's one of the last who will be allowed to file for spousal benefit only, while letting her own benefit grow 'til 70. (Only works for people born before 1/1/54.)

We did the same "break-even" analysis as everyone else, and lots of spreadsheets, but in the end the deciding factor for us was that we didn't "need" to take it at 62 (I was still working part-time), so we could afford to let it grow, at least for awhile. We have enough other income (investments, IRAs, and a small pension) to be comfortable now, and we were more afraid of needing the higher benefit later than of leaving money on the table when we die. To me, the scariest possibility is to outlive your money.
Question Crabby. WHo told you spousal benefit was only good for those born before 1/1/54? You may be right but I do not understand it like that.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The question was: Anyone regret taking SS benefit early"

My answer was "NO"
Gotcha MR D. I thought you were answering the previous post. NO regrets.
Weather or not it is the best financial decision, after 22 pages of responses 99.5% have no regrets about taking SS early. Thanks for sharing
Old 06-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #300

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvethereyet View Post
I did nt want to sign up for something. Please tell us what the secret $16K + is and how I can get it.
You follow the 18 pages of clickbait and let us know...

I would not have bothered but thought it worth pointing out that the first thing I check is the number of pages in the article. When I see p1 of 18 or something similar I it tells me they want my attention but are not going to tell me any more than they can help.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #301

Monaco Owners Club
https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/3401...ement-benefits
Old 06-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The question was: Anyone regret taking SS benefit early"

My answer was "NO"
If you are saying you have no regrets that's fine.

I am saying that I know people who have done it at 62 and regret it at 72 give or take a few years as they started running short of play money because the doctor bills started coming in and the investments stopped paying more than a few per cent. That is aside from the one's I know who are still working in their 70's.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:00 AM   #303

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Question Crabby. WHo told you spousal benefit was only good for those born before 1/1/54? You may be right but I do not understand it like that.
No, not the spousal benefit, just the ability to restrict your claim to spousal only, letting your own grow until you switch to it later. That was one of the changes made a couple of years ago, along with ending the "file and suspend" strategy.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Thanks john boy
Old 06-20-2017, 08:07 AM   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
No, not the spousal benefit, just the ability to restrict your claim to spousal only, letting your own grow until you switch to it later. That was one of the changes made a couple of years ago, along with ending the "file and suspend" strategy.
I did not know that was changed. Thanks for the update and clearification
Old 06-20-2017, 08:12 AM   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
As a guy in his late 30's. I'd be happy to get any benefits at any time. Entire thing is a big ponzi scheme anyways... Wish they would give me my money back i paid in and not pay me anything.
Good luck to you in the future.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #307

Quote:
Good luck to you in the future.
I hope you are already 10 years,into saving for your retirement!
Old 06-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #308

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
Mike, for what it's worth, when I was your age, I figured my SS contributions were just $$ I'd never see again. Now, lo and behold, it's 30 years later, and I'm about to start collecting. Who knows, you may see a miracle too.
Closed Thread