Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #71

If you take SS early just make darn sure you don't out live your combined savings and SS. Many people do.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2017, 03:28 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
It's pretty much anyone who has a job you get a pension from, that you didn't pay into social security while you were earning the pension. Most teaching jobs are like this.
Guess that depends on which state you live as far as teachers go. Not the case in NC. Wife will get retirement and SS as teachers in NC pay SS tax.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:32 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
There is one other factor that no one has mentioned. Do you have dependent children under the age of 18? If someone does have kids that are still in high school, the kids can draw SS also. With May - December marriages being more common we see a number of families with an older parent and kids still in school. That can also be a huge factor in the question of should I draw?

Something else that I don't think got mentioned is the limit on earnings if one starts to take SS before full retirement age. If you start to draw before full retirement age, your "earned" income is limited to $16,920 or you will have your SS benefits reduced.
So if I take SS at 62 and have a dependent they can get SS too. That s interesting. How does that work and how much % will they get.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I retired at 54 , 1988 took a $40 cut in pension a month, took SS at 62 and now 84 do not regret at all.
Took last RV trip with wife in 2010 for her last time she pass away 2016 after many battles with health, I had a operation at 70, almost didn't make it but had a good doctor.
Did have stocks but most of that went to health problems for wife, did own 3 homes bought last one in 2008 to help wife's disabilities, still own the remodeled home and enjoy what I have left.
You never know what life will bring so plan and enjoy to the fullest, safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
Old 06-09-2017, 03:33 PM   #75

Entegra Owners Club
I did the math on mine and my break even point was 76. I took mine at 62, it all goes into my RV Travel account and we have been traveling very comfortably since I was 62. Other investments allowed retirement at 53. No regrets on either one except health insurance is very high until 65.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
Old 06-09-2017, 03:37 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
I took mine starting at 62. My accountant ran the numbers for me and if I made it to 84 then I will have lost money by not waiting and even more important if I make it to 108 I will get back every dime I put in but at 0 interest. That is if SS does not go broke before hand (a pretty good bet it will) Pretty sad comment on how our government took care of SS

momdoc
84 is the crossing point. Wow. at 84 who cares?As much as I like to think I will still be running the roads at 84 I will probably be lucky to get the rocker in motion.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:41 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
If you take SS early just make darn sure you don't out live your combined savings and SS. Many people do.
So what have you done? Do you have any regrets.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:48 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
I retired at 54 , 1988 took a $40 cut in pension a month, took SS at 62 and now 84 do not regret at all.
Took last RV trip with wife in 2010 for her last time she pass away 2016 after many battles with health, I had a operation at 70, almost didn't make it but had a good doctor.
Did have stocks but most of that went to health problems for wife, did own 3 homes bought last one in 2008 to help wife's disabilities, still own the remodeled home and enjoy what I have left.
You never know what life will bring so plan and enjoy to the fullest, safe travels.
Sorry for the loss of your wife. Life is tough and it gets tougher as we age. Glad you had many years making memories. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #79

No brainer for me. Retired at 56. Whether I needed it or not, it's mine and I want it now! Could not fathom making any other decision. Let the Feds hold on to it for a few more years? Pooooolease!
Old 06-09-2017, 04:05 PM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvethereyet View Post
........How many of you who took SS benefit early regret having done so. Or are you so glad you did.
No regrets what so ever, I even went to court to fight for the right to take SS early due to health issues.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:05 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy54 View Post
No brainer for me. Retired at 56. Whether I needed it or not, it's mine and I want it now! Could not fathom making any other decision. Let the Feds hold on to it for a few more years? Pooooolease!
I hear you! How long have you been taking SS. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:10 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSPA View Post
No regrets what so ever, I even went to court to fight for the right to take SS early due to health issues.
Were you trying for disability? Is that why you went to court? Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:14 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
I did the math on mine and my break even point was 76. I took mine at 62, it all goes into my RV Travel account and we have been traveling very comfortably since I was 62. Other investments allowed retirement at 53. No regrets on either one except health insurance is very high until 65.
So your cross point was 76. That health insurance is costly. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:23 PM   #84

Damon Owners Club
Never a regret....... I've been told that the mathematical
break even is 80.
Take it now while healthy.
Closed Thread