Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know if you really quit, or did you start smoking those electric ones instead?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyH
I don't know if you really quit, or did you start smoking those electric ones instead?
Been wondering the same thing Judy.

As one who just went through a terrible bout of Swine Flu - complete with hospitalization due to inability to breath - I took that opportunity to quit.

I have been smoke free since Jan 3rd - and now on my last few days of 7 mg patches. When I had the flu I had no desire for anything except air in my lungs. I'm about back to health - and because I am 59 - been a smoker for umpty ump years - I left the hospital with the following orders from the doctor:

1) When you feel like yourself again see a cardiologist. But doc - I have never had any heart issues. Doc says - you are overweight & have smoked long enough to have hurt yourself - need to see if you did. What about seeing someone for my lungs? Doc says - no heart - no need for lungs.

2) After the heart guy has finished with you, go see the lung guy. See where you are there.

3) Don't smoke.

So that's that for me. There are people that seem to be able smoke with without health issues. I am not one of them. If you can smoke and know it isn't hurting you - because a heart and lung doctor have told you - good for you! If you don't know if it's hurting you - I hope you see the right doctors and find out.

If you are substituting nicotine transmission devices and living on the patch or an electric device - you are still not free of nicotine. You may be treating your lungs a little better - but nicotine still has a grip on your arteries etc.

I am not going to be an obnoxious non-smoker - but I didn't start the thread.

If you smoke - or take nicotine / tobacco by any method - I hope you quit - and I hope you root for me as I continue to quit. So far not a single desire to light one up. Maybe it's cause the flu beat the heck outta me - and not being able to breath scared the beejuzeses outta me.

Good Luck!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:26 PM   #17

I quit ten years ago after smoking for forty years. Wish I'd quit sooner I'd be driving a newer rig. HaHa. Wife was going through chemo at the time for breast cancer ( cancer free for nine years thank god ). I watched other patients taking chemo for lung cancer walk out the front door and light up. Scared me into going cold turkey guess I saw my future. Take it one day at a time if you do slip up don't give up it just way too important. Do it for your family.
Elmer
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #18

I quit about 6 months ago by just moving the stinky things out of site. I'm on the 21mg patch and do notice if I skip a day. Will look for the lower mg ones next time I'm a Sam's.

I think the electronic ones would just turn into another bad habit... one after another...

I smoked for over 50 years... and menthol at that. They say it is harder to quit menthol. They didn't taste good or give me a relaxing feeling. Just a nasty habit. I would always walk away from groups when I smoked and make sure I was down wind of them.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
I tried the gum and the patches, but they didn't work. When I was really ready, I quit cold turkey. I've been off now for 5 years.
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One of the TV stations here did an investigation of those electronic cigarettes, and the biggest solid in the smoke was tin. I don't know about you, but to me that sure isn't something I'd want to be putting in my lungs.
7NEWS - Are e-cigarettes safer than other tobacco products? - Staying Healthy Story
Old 02-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
It'll be a year in March on my b'day (Ill be 78). Last yr the Dr was listening to my breathing, and couldn't hear anything...He suggested I carry either an oxygen tank, or an ecig, I chose the Electric thingie....works great for me, Truck stays cleaner, no more coughing, and better yet, the DW quit a month later....No desire to have real one again. I did try the patches first but i found that if you roll them too tight, they won't stay lit.
rovinredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I quit 6+ years ago and I am SOOO glad I did. Hang in there... you can do it!
caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #23

I quit November 11th 2002 after smoking the better part of 50 years. Best move I ever made for myself. I used Zyban and The Patch. Strong Patch for one week and weaker patch for another week and Zyban for three months. I haven't looked back and rarely if ever even consider smoking again. I am so happy with myself for quitting but not for the weight gain. Neither hubby nor I smoke now. He quit long before I did.
Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
I think it's hurting the tobacco companies ....I've read where they are spending a lot of money trying to discredit the ecigarette business.
rovinredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #25

I could use the weight gain. With chemo and radiation, I'm down to 100 lbs from 130. Can't seem to gain any back. You can only drink so much Ensure a day before making yourself sick.

The radiation burnt my taste buds and anything non-liquid doesn't go down very easily. I flavor the Ensure with those water flavors.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:24 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wonder how many E-smokers have dared to look in a mirror when they puffed on it, that would cure me. Stopped smoking Camel shorts in 1978.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I wonder how many E-smokers have dared to look in a mirror when they puffed on it, that would cure me. Stopped smoking Camel shorts in 1978.
They look like a drug delivery device..... other than nicotine.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:56 PM   #28

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Started using the ecig a few days ago myself. I like it and I think I really can quit using this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote