Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2021, 03:32 PM   #57

Highway Repair

We were at Spartan in Charlotte Mi in the summer of 2019. The interstate I69 was just one step up from the old Ho Chi Minh Trail before they stopped bombing it in the Vet war. It was so rough that we found an alternative way home. While we were thier we went to Lansing for an anniversary dinner. The inner city was just completing the replacement of all the bridges on the city streets and the addition of a fancy water front park tied to the project. Thier was an article in the local news about Lansing area businesses holding the governors feet to the fire about a promise he made to them for thier support for the inner-city project. The governor was waffling on his commitment to the connecting highway improvements and the business community was a fired up.
Since then we have noticed several other cities making huge commitments to center city road, bridge and waterfront projects while the interstate connector roads go begging.
We haven't been back since then, I would be interested in an update on I69
craigbenoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2021, 03:55 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb View Post
I had not heard that, and we have paid that $100 surcharge twice now here in Arkansas. I'm okay with paying it on our Prius V (wagon), but it should be for any high mpg vehicle, not just hybrids, IMO. We generally get around 45mpg in city driving with this "big" Prius. 35mpg at interstate speeds. So really not a lot better than many other small cars.
Arkansas did not drop or eliminate the extra fees for hybrids or elect vechiles, what they did is add an exemption for those of us who have veterans tags and or Handicap tags. the rest will have to continue to pay and this doesn't go into effect until 90 days after the legislature adjourned, then it is retroactive back to 2019 for the eligible persons. yes I am asking for a refund on my Prius with the $3.00 veteran tag.
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:27 PM   #59

For what it's worth, someone in the Wisconsin legislature proposed today revoking the surcharge on EVs and adding a $5 surcharge for cars/light trucks over 4500 pounds.

Seems to me like some sour grapes somewhere - not sure what the point of a $5 surcharge really could be other than to make a point.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:31 PM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Texas taxes gasoline and diesel at 20 cent per gallon. Of this, 15 cents are directed to roads and 5 cents goes to the public education budget. On top of that, the Federal government adds on 18.4 cents per gallon for gasoline and 24.4 cents for diesel. The Federal tax revenue is partially diverted to other government programs and unrelated transportation infrastructure, including air, sea, and rail projects.

Unlike sales tax, which is added on at the point of sale, fuel tax is buried in the price at the pump to obscure its true cost to the consumer.

No one should get a free ride on taxes, not even the electric car owners who may believe they are somehow doing a service to society by relocating their waste stream.

It is clear to me, however, that the government has no problem taxing in the name of road maintenance and using the associated funds for other purposes. In my opinion, more transparency is needed in the collection of fuel taxes, these taxes should be dedicated to the purpose for which they are collected, and no more of these taxes should be collected than are actually needed to complete road construction and maintenance. A mileage-based tax is just about the worst idea ever and any politician who suggests infringing on our freedom in that way should be run out of office.
JBMSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:44 PM   #61

Should Be More!!

Someone needs to start paying for all of the places that are going to need to be setup to properly dispose of all of the "green" energy stuff as it goes out of commission. We all know that nothing lasts forever. Whether it's the old batteries or the windmills and solar panels, everything has a life span. I'd also think at some point all the countries that all of the "green" people in America get their stuff mined and manufactured from will demand and get reimbursed for all they've given up to support their "green" dreams. Meanwhile, we're still using as much energy and fossil fuels, if not more, than we were last year and the year before that.
hencye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:00 PM   #62

WA state is starting a test program to charge the tax by miles driven instead of $ per gallon for EV and hybrids.
JLRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:03 PM   #63

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
They are doing the same thing here in Washington State.
lawjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 05:05 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRanch View Post
WA state is starting a test program to charge the tax by miles driven instead of $ per gallon for EV and hybrids.
Nice. As an EV driver I would support this. What methodology are they using. EG, how do they know the kilometres travelled.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:45 PM   #65

Arkansas ripoff

Since we are talking about gasoline road taxes and high registration fees. Does anyone live in a state where they collect fees (a tax) for bicycles to use the road. And I mean the seperate bicycle only lanes, or the 5' paved berms or bike trails?
gulleyjumper
2005 DSDP
2011 Ranger toad
gulleyjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:25 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulleyjumper View Post
Since we are talking about gasoline road taxes and high registration fees. Does anyone live in a state where they collect fees (a tax) for bicycles to use the road. And I mean the seperate bicycle only lanes, or the 5' paved berms or bike trails?

gulleyjumper

2005 DSDP

2011 Ranger toad
There was a time when bicycle permits were required in many jurisdictions. Often a fee was part of the deal.

Not sure, but I suspect that there are still laws about this on the books in places.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:42 PM   #67

In Ohio, you currently pay 71.4 cents per gallon in tax on Diesel fuel. I'll trade that for several hundred in electric car tax.

One can argue that a heavy truck is more wear and tear on the road then a small electric car and that's okay too. However, all cars use bridges and roads so it is more than fair to share the burden of upkeep IMHO.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200905_114910.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	329818
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:54 PM   #68

Newmar Owners Club
Seems fair to me. Electrics use the road they should pay a fair share.
Kountry_star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:13 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoy27 View Post
We are being charged an extra $100 for registration per year for having a car with good gas mileage. If u have an all electric car the price jumps to 300$. Does this seem fair to you.
If you don't pay the fuel tax at the pump to keep the roads in good shape, then you are getting a free ride.

Any vehicle that rides on the roads need to pay to maintain those roads.

How should electric vehicles pay for road maintenance?
Old 05-27-2021, 10:24 PM   #70

Here in Phoenix Arizona we have to emission test our vehicles. Late model gas vehicles get checked by way of the OBD test connector. I would assume that electric vehicles have a system test connector and a odometer reading could be pulled if it exists on a once per year basis for tax purposes. I don't know if a odometer value is available on the existing OBD connector because they always want to see the value on the instrument panel odometer. I would have to assume someone at the state level has already thought about this!
gsdutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arkansas