Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2015, 06:42 PM   #1

Attempting to un-freeze credit reports

If you have a freeze on your 3 national credit report bureaus and need to apply for credit any place be sure you start very early to get them thawed. I put a freeze on mine 7 years ago and forgot about it when I applied for a "big box" store credit card last week, which was denied. Have been trying ever since to get to the right web site/telephone number to do this but had to find the "pin" number that was assigned to me when I did the freeze, which I had also forgot about.
Was told it could take anywhere from 15 minutes to 3 days for the unfreeze, and some states allow the credit bureaus to charge for this service, which here in Oklahoma it's not allowed but Trans Union is still trying to collect a fee for this.
And you have to unfreeze all 3 bureaus because you have no idea which one the place you're applying for credit from will be using.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2015, 06:55 PM   #2

Troublesome for sure.
Why freeze it?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:58 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Actually I think if you had all the necessary security identification information, you would be able to remove the freeze in a manner of minutes online, at least that's how it works for me.

If I were to loose that information I personally would want them to do their due diligence to make sure they were allowing the proper person to gain that access.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #4

We have used the freeze for a number of years. We ask which service they will be using and only open that service.
JSPERRELLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 07:41 PM   #5

K.
Why freeze it?
Old 01-21-2015, 07:51 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
K.
Why freeze it?

To keep bad guys from hijacking your identity and opening up credit accounts on you.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
To keep bad guys from hijacking your identity and opening up credit accounts on you.

Unclear.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Unclear.
If you freeze your accounts it takes your private data Plus a pin number for anyone to open a line of credit in your name. I had to do this when some dumpster divers had my data from when I spent some time in CA. it is a royal pain, but it is the safest way to guarantee your fiscal safety.

Basically your bank or credit union sends a report to the big three credit reporting agencies telling them that your credit is locked unless you provide a special pin number along with PID (personally identifying data) this keeps scum bags from opening lines of credit in your name as they do not have that one crucial piece of data, the pin number.

But when you want to open a new line of credit you have to unlock the creidt score by useing the pin number to do it, so do not forget it. all places that offer store credit use the big three to eveluate your trustworthyness so since they and you only have the pin number you are in essence safe from hacking. (till someone hacks one fo them) inperfect system, but it works.

kenn
kenn_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:23 PM   #9

The most obvious reason to lock the CBR is to keep anyone from looking at your information--to avoid a fraudster from getting credit cards and/or purchase things in your name. It could be a bogus child or brother or sister that knows your personal information. It could be an old college roommate.

My wife had a co-worker get into her purse at work and get enough information to bogey up a credit application at the local Chevy dealer. One day, we get a phone call from GMAC asking for their payment. My wife told them that I worked at Ford Motor Company, and we've never even ridden in a Chevy. She put two and two together, and a case of fraud had been committed against the Chevy dealership. They picked up the car and cleared the record. Nothing ever became of it on my three national credit bureaus.

What people don't realize is that credit bureau reports are often done without your knowledge--by insurance companies and banks if you have a line of credit or overdraft privileges. Police and private investigators also chase perpetrators via credit bureau reports, however their inquiries are never shown on the report.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:14 PM   #10

Absolutely perfect explanation fellows, couldn't have done it better myself. And exactly the reason I did it. I haven't needed any new lines of credit in the last 7 years since I did the freeze but I could have gotten a $100 rebate at Lowe's with the purchase of our new W/D set last week if I could have qualified for and used their credit card.

I tried to find out which credit bureau they used and was told (over the phone from the stores credit department) by some idiot that he couldn't tell me which one they might be using for my information. I spent 20 years working in a credit union and we always knew which one we were requesting a clients information from.

Also the fact that it can take anywheres from 15 minutes to 3 days (which they are allowed) for the thaw to take place causes problems unless you are aware of this ahead of time, which I wasn't.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:39 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Wagonmaster2: what's the proccess for putting on a freeze to begin with? And is there a charge to put one on?
Old 01-23-2015, 03:11 AM   #12

Are you a member of a credit union or a bank? Most credit unions do not charge for this, I have no clue about banks as I avoid them like the plauge

regardless just go to the service desk, ask to see a counseler and tell them you want your credit locked to prevent fraud. Remember this can be a real pain in the backside if you need credit in a hurry. It will not afect your currently existing lines though. So if you have a credit card worth 20K then it will act the same as always. you cannot strat a new credit card, or get a loan without jumping through the above mentioned hoops.

good luck.
kenn_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:49 PM   #13

Depending on the state you live in the charge can run $10-$20, as I understand, but generally it's free for those 65 and older. The best I can remember I filled out a form with all my personal information on it and mailed a copy to each credit bureau.

Anyone with a freeze and wanting to apply for new credit someplace probably should start 1-2 weeks ahead of time in order to get through all the red tape they heap on you.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:47 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When married do the husband and wife need to do this individually to each of their credit rating?
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote