Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2018, 09:13 PM   #1

Auto/truck manufacturers could save millions, not installing turn signals!

Gang,
Well, while this may sound like a "rant", it's more of just an admission of reality. And, I'd just about bet my house that, this condition is present no matter where any of you live. What I'm talking about is, the lack of courtesy in drivers NOT USING TURN SIGNALS! I mean, we're here in a small, south west AZ town and, without a doubt, I'd bet conservatively that, there's around 30% or more of the drivers that do not use turn signals.

I'm talking of all types of driving conditions. Stopping and turning at the same time, lane changing, turning in general etc. I mean, since there's so many that don't use them as a courtesy, it seems the manufacturers of ANY BRAND of automobile/truck would/could save millions by not installing that feature.

I know, I know, many folks are courteous and still use them without fail, as we do. But, we sure do see a lot of folks/cars/trucks that just plain don't care. And, it matters not what they're driving. So many times I wanted to follow someone driving a $60K BMW into a parking lot and ask, "I guess BMW doesn't install turn signals in such an expensive car huh? " But, no, I just move along. It's not worth the confrontation.

You're following someone, they start to slow down, slower and slower and, start to veer to the left. You think since they don't have their signal on, they're most likely gonna turn left at the upcoming intersection. So, I start to veer to the right, just a little as I'm thinking I'm gonna go around them, just to the right a little, not off the pavement. But, what do they do, the veer to the left and then turn right, with no signal, like they're driving a semi or something.

Now, before anyone thinks "Chill out" and don't follow so closely, I've seen plenty of folks throw their arms up in there cars 'cause the driver in front of them were clueless as to anyone around them as the aimlessly turned without notice. So, again, really not a rant, just kinda admitting an obvious situation that I'm pretty sure it's not really gonna get any better.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2018, 09:34 PM   #2

They might save millions BUT w/o having them in the vehicles they mfg. they would end up getting SUED for millions and millions

YES ......

Idiots/fools/just plain stupid folks are out there driving.
IQ Testing is NOT a prerequisite to obtaining a drivers license...when they even bother to get one
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:40 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Which is worse, people who don't use turn signals or those that drive down the freeway with their left signal on from their merge 3 miles back?

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #4

Wait, I thought there was an app for that.......
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:10 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I lived in new Orleans for 20 years. Turn signals are seldom used there. I think for two primary reasons. 1) blinky flashing light confuses many drivers there - while looking at it and trying to figure out what it is - other accidents are caused... 2) for those drivers who know what it is, gives them advance notice of where you are going - they can then more readily cut you off.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:23 AM   #6

Another reason; the hand not on the steering wheel can't use the turn signal because it is holding the cell phone to the driver's ear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I lived in new Orleans for 20 years. Turn signals are seldom used there. I think for two primary reasons. 1) blinky flashing light confuses many drivers there - while looking at it and trying to figure out what it is - other accidents are caused... 2) for those drivers who know what it is, gives them advance notice of where you are going - they can then more readily cut you off.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Another reason; the hand not on the steering wheel can't use the turn signal because it is holding the cell phone to the driver's ear...
Talking on a cell phone?????... who the hell does that anymore? You have to learn to drive with your knees so you can use both hands to text... Why even look up... there is forward avoidance systems now.... pushing the brakes manually with a foot... "so last week"
Old 01-24-2018, 09:41 AM   #8

This is one of those things that drives me crazy. I live and work in a tourist town, N. Myrtle Beach, S.C., where we see cars for every state including Canada. We have some of the worst distracted drivers in the world. Most do not use turn signals to turn across three lanes of traffic, they just turn.
JUS1MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:03 AM   #9

Well Gang,
I can surely see I'm not alone in this situation. Most of us RV pilots are pretty conscientious drivers, especially while piloting about 65' of AMTRAK (motor home and toad) down the road. We kinda really do need to pre-inform folks of our intentions or, someone could get hurt real bad. Yep, as stated, we get cut off many times due to drivers that simply don't care. No one said you have to be smart to obtain a drivers license, IN ANY STATE!

Yes, the cell phone, makeup (for women that is), coffee holding, and a few zillion other reasons help distract drivers and, using a turn signal is last on the priority list for them. Oh well, just thought I'd see if anyone's on the same page and, it appears so. One mentioned that if there were none installed, there would be millions in lawsuits 'cause of the ramifications, yep, no doubt. Good luck and be safe out there folks, and WATCH FOR THOSE MISSING TURN SIGNALS!
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:14 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Follow them and then tell them their signal light on the XXXX side is burned out!

Thank goodness the brake lights work whenever they step on the brake pedal.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:55 AM   #11

Don't get me started on brake lights. To many drivers ride with the foot on the pedal and you don't know if they are slowing or not.

In the north east, you don't use signals. The second you do, they cut in so you can't move over. You have to do a football fake to get anywhere.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:56 AM   #12

Where I live it's cell phone and cigarette !
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:21 PM   #13

Not only not use turn singles most don't stop at stop signs. Most only slow down and some don't even do that. The last house we lived in was a in an area with only one way out. The stop sign was at the entrance/exit. I couldn't figure out why when I stopped the cars behind would honk. When I asked a neigbor why, he said nobody ever stop sat that sign so I quit stopping.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:05 PM   #14

What?!?!? Turn signals aren't optional equipment? I thought for sure that people who don't use them just never ordered them!
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install