Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2015, 09:40 PM   #1

average overnight cost at RV park

Wife and I are new to RV world. Last year we rented a unit from Cruise America. We stayed at KOA's on the way out and back from a trip to Yellowstone. Average overnight price was about $ 30.00 for water/power/sewer plus cable Tv in some spots. This year we have a new 2014 Winnebago Trend.
It'll be a bit before we're on the road. we are wondering what we can expect for over night charges from "independent" parks as opposed to KOA and other chain parks. Was reading some posts on here that stated some have payed as high as 125 a night! Kowa-Bunga!
mr mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #2

I'm new too, so take this for what it's worth. I've found parks are in the 35-75 range with some being higher if they are more desirable, popular areas, etc (such as on the beach in San Diego).

The lower end of that range is usually a state or national park.

Join Good Sam, you'll get 10% off at many many parks. Well worth the modest membership fee.
Johnp292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:53 PM   #3

Yes, I try to either find dispersed camping, or yellow post spots that are free around me.. but if I'm travelling, I usually try and stay at state parks if I can, because they are cheaper. Private RV parks seem to think their plots of dirt are worth big $$$.
poriggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:55 PM   #4

Our Average is in the 35-40 range. The some will be 50-60 for the higher end parks. These include taxes.
I think I would baulk at paying over the $75 mark.
If it's an overnight stay only, we aren't too picky but if we are going to stay for a few days, we tend to search out the nicer ones and as such will be higher. Also tend to stay for a week when we can as the weekly rate is usually a little less.
Good Sam and Passport America are a must to go with your KOA card. Some also offer AAA discount.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:58 PM   #5

My personal findings are that at KOA, you're paying for the name .
I'm looking and finding , parks in the $25/35 range, I do pay 40 at one of my favorite parks , but it's got a 10/10/10 Woodall's rating.
Lots of places offer discounts, for AAA, Good Sam, and others.
Personally I carry a Campground America membership , at the discounted price the membership will pay for it's self on the third nights stay.
There are restrictions , but if you travel a lot , well worth the price.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:22 AM   #6

For overnight stays we use Passport America. The membership pays for itself in only a couple stays. I don't have a GS card any longer, the 10% off wasn't worth all the junk mail I was receiving. Both electronically, and by mail. When we would get home after being on the road, we would have a pile of envelopes waiting.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:29 AM   #7

"Personally I carry a Campground America membership"

I'm not familiar with that one, and can't find in Google. Could you elaborate?

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:43 AM   #8

average overnight cost at RV park

If you search around you can find rates in the $25-$35 range. Sometimes less at State parks and even less on BLM land where you can boondock or even sometimes find partial hookups. These rates can be as low as $8 for seniors.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:57 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I use the State Parks that run around #20.00. Some even have Wifi. Not as congested as the privet parks and KOA's that give you Ten feet between fellow campers.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:57 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Same here... Passport America is the best to find campsites at a modest price; you do get for what you pay for but you will discover hundreds of nice campsites all over the country with lots of restrictions but, being retired, you do have plenty of time to find the right one.
As SKIP246 mentioned, you pay for its name by going to KOA's campsite, they are just OK and old fashionned.
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:01 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
I use the State Parks that run around #20.00. Some even have Wifi. Not as congested as the privet parks and KOA's that give you Ten feet between fellow campers.
I prefer private parks than state parks travelling in a 38 footer mh and towing...the private ones offer more space and more services.
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:13 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I only stay at a KOA if that is the only campground in the area I want to stay at.
Last time that happen was maybe 2009 or 2010.

Passport America saves me over $200 every year.
You can check on line if they are any in the route you will be traveling.
Each one may have a different restriction. By time of year/days of week/nights it can be used etc.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:27 PM   #13
IC2

While we really like state parks, have found that since we now have a 38' 4 slide 5er pulled by a 24 foot long TV are limited to what we can get the rig in (and out!!) of comfortably or by regulation so tend to stay in the private CGs. This now means that $35 - $50 of my hard earned bucks are being spent per night instead of $20 or less in the public CGs. Whatever it is, it's still less expensive then a crummy, slimy franchise motel chain staffed by folks that have English as their second or third language
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:03 PM   #14

We used SPs almost exclusively before we sold the rig. The only snags we ran into were in some of the older parks. Many of them had fairly narrow single lane roads within the CG area and the sites were square on. Our rig was a 32-footer, 102" wide, and I dinged up three of the stow-bin doors trying to back into a site at Harris Beach SP near Brookings OR.