Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2012, 05:09 AM   #1

Back in the day

Who knows who these guys are? The place was Augusta, Georgia and the year was mid-1964 for the top pic, and late ' 63 for the bottom pic...........

This is where I worked as a 12 year old kid; my brother and I used to "sweep the track" with push brooms. Get in free, AND all the hot dogs we could eat; it didn't get any better than this for a 12 year old boy ....unless you include the playtime and "dirt clod" fights with another 12 year old friend.....named Dale Earnhardt. His dad, Ralph raced here every Saturday..........."back in the day".

The top pic was taken at the "Georgia Cracker 300" on the 1/2 mile Oval; and the lower pic was made in late '63 on the 3 mile Road Course at the "Augusta 510". It was this driver's last victory shortly before his untimely death in a later racing accident.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AugustaOval-645x376.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	21998   Click image for larger version

Name:	AugustaIR_AaugChronicleSept04_Nov17_63.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	21999  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your one lucky man. Sure do miss Dale and his racing. Jr is having a good start this year. Sure wish DEI had come to terms with Jr, but life goes on. Senior was one great driver and person. He did many things for people and never looked for anything in return. Great person. Missed by many.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #3

As a kid, Dale always said one day he would race and be a champion; we ALWAYS laughed...........but, he did it The biggest difference in Jr. and Sr..........Sr. learned from Ralph...........if you look back, Sr.'s career took off when he learned his dad's driving style. When the track wasn't working, Ralph did not let it dictate how he drove, instead he "made" the car adapt to him. He refused to second guess how to drive a race car. He simply drove the same week in and week out.........when Jr. gets this........he too, will wear a crown An ill handling car or loose track were not a concern to Ralph, maintaining "authority" over his car and the track was his priority. He ALWAYS felt that car control, the race, and the track were his to win or lose.............:thum b:
Old 06-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
While I am a Motorsport FANATIC (raced MC from 1971-2010) and LOVE all Motorsport racing in general.

I am not a great fan of Left turn Oval("LTO" ) style racing. However, these early LTO pioneers form the late 40's-70's epitomised Motorsport at its best.

Brave Drivers in modified stock machines..WOW!

You were lucky to have been a part of a proud racing history!

IMO Today's racing is so "high tech" and specialized that the drivers' skills (mechanical and driving) are not as great a factor in the results as they were "back in the day".

Factory backing, Money, Technology, have radically changes the face of Motorsport racing.. The best teams in the sport (Hendrick, Joe Gibbs, Rouch Fenway) get up to $25 million dollars for a full year sponsorship from their "major" sponsor. That’s about $500,000 – $700,000 per race! The lower-tier teams get about $8 million to $10 million for a full season, which is still a good chunk of money.

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Speedinmotorsports.com for all your two wheel and ATV needs. Great prices on parts and fast friendly service.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:55 AM   #6

..........another friend of mine is Mike Lentz, an old high school buddy; he is now National Security Director for NASCAR; I had an uncle, who was a local racer and back in the '60's, Junior Johnson invited him to come to Daytona and try to qualify his extra car for the race............my uncle..........missed his chance...........that was "his" week for being drunk............... ...boy, what could have been..

Mike is also the former National Security Director for the NHRA.

BTW: mythplaced, my motorcycle of choice is Kawasaki; when I met my wife of almost 40 years..she rode a 750 Triple Two Stroke
Old 06-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #7

"Factory backing, Money, Technology, have radically changes the face of Motorsport racing."

You are so right, back in the early 80's a friend of mine, whom I raced with on the local short tracks, moved up to NASCAR, and his rookie year was tied in the running with Rob Moroso for "Rookie of the Year".....Uncle NASCAR visited his car hauler @ Charlotte and informed him that the "Moroso family" put a lot of money in racing, and it would just look better if Rob was allowed to win the ROTY honors. My friend balked at this and shortly afterwards, NASCAR again came to him and said that there had been a mixup on his car number designation and he had been running an unapproved car number, and even though they would get it straightened out.......he would lose his rookie points. He and his sponsor went back to NDRA short track racing where he not only has over 1000 career wins, but is also in the National Dirt Racing World Hall of Fame
Old 06-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This applies more to the subject line of this post than the text but

mudcat.org lyrics: WHEN I WAS A BOY

By the way, I know the author, He helped me break into one type of singing.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgator View Post

BTW: mythplaced, my motorcycle of choice is Kawasaki; when I met my wife of almost 40 years..she rode a 750 Triple Two Stroke
H2's are rocketships!

I'm a Honda guy since 1970...

HONDA
Old 06-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #10

I remember watching Fireball Roberts. I don't know the other drivers off hand.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #11

Quote:
YUP - me too:

Restored/upgraded that one this past Winter...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
BTW: mythplaced, my motorcycle of choice is Kawasaki; ....

Had one O them too..Kamakazi that is

ZR1100 Zephyr Not too many made it to the US
Old 06-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingman View Post
I remember watching Fireball Roberts. I don't know the other drivers off hand.

# 11 Ned Jarrett
# 29 Dick Hutcheson
# 6 Bobby Isaac