Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
Backed over neighbors mail box. What would you have done?

6 am Sunday morning, I backed over my neighbor's mail box
with my Class A.

6:30 am at Home Depot buying a post. 8:30 am mail box repaired.
Neighbor still in bed.

I should of drove around the block to park in front of house.
I should of had my back-up camera on.
I should of had by wife in back (I mean watching me).
I should not of been in a rush.

The MH was not damage as the base of the post was rotten
so it evidently went right over. Close call.

I guess it could of been worse. I could of hit a fire hydrant, car, person,
or a house.

10 am I told my neighbor what I had done. He said. " I've been meaning
to replace that rotten post. Thanks"

Stupid Fred from wenatchee, WA.. What have you done? Be honest.
frederick w is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I would have owned up to it also.

There are two types of RVers;

Those of us that have done dumb stuff.............................and those that won't admit it.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thus far we have been really (really) lucky but even our "dumb" things haven't yet been too bad... that sound you hear is me knocking on wood.

Last Christmas in the middle of a terrible rain storm we were breaking camp near San Francisco to hit the road south. I forgot to bring in my entry door awning. While navigating through the flooded CG the awning hit a light pole and twisted enough to convince me that it would be toast but I backed up and there wasn't a scratch and it retracted perfectly.

Then this June we were stuck in Albuquerque when the alternator went out. We had a 7am appointment at Freightliner and I wanted to be as quiet as possible leaving the CG and got in too much of a hurry. Because of the electrical problems the inverter had been turned off and I disconnected from shore power before the satellite dish had stowed. This left the dish in the up position. It's a Winegard Slimline Travel'r so it sits very high above the coach. I made it all the way to FL with that dish sticking up nearly 3' above my roof line without incident.

If I didn't know better, I'd attribute the good luck to clean living...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #4

Fixed it.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #5

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Last summer took the family and the kids friends on a 2 week trip around Colorado to show them where we tent camped as kids.
First stop was Colorado springs to visit in laws and chose to stay at Golden Eagle Ranch campgroundhttp://www.bing.com/maps/Default.asp...n-us&FORM=LLDP
Drove up the steep incline ok and began the search for our spot, apparently we went the wrong way down the one way dirt road, I figured I could just do a nice 50 point turn around in one of the steeper drive spots.

45 minutes later and some nice crushing noises to the aluminum rear cargo bays I made it! no real damage other than my ego and of course all the folks in the hundreds of filled spots knowing me by sight for the next 2 days.

Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I confess.

When I first got the MH I backed into the house. Minimal damage but I was seeing red.

When I had my 5th wheel I pulled of the road for some sort of check. When I pulled out I didn't see a high sign hanging out over the roadway and scraped my stowed awning pretty good.

One day when I was unloading the 5th wheel I didn't notice the slope of the site and lowered the camper on my truck rails.

The worst was many, many years ago I had stopped in a shopping area with my pickup camper. I had to get out for some reason so I put it in park and run out behind the camper to make the check. People all around. The truck popped out of park and into reverse. I dived for the brake and barely made it. The Ford truck was recalled for this problem a few months later. I have never failed since to put the em brake on since and shut of the engine.

Can't rember all of the dumb things but overall I have been lucky. But I always double check everything now and I never, never, rush things in an RV.

Hope this helps somebody.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Let's see!

1. and
  2. and
  3. and
  4. and
  5. and
  6. and still maybe counting
Nah! Why bore you to death. What you did was dumb, what I have done is just plain stupid.

Rick, I think there are 3 types. Those who own up, those who don't and those that are an accident just waiting to happen.

I've posted all my mishaps previously and I'm really trying to forget them.

Now if I could just get DW to forget half of them. Shhheeeeesh!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #8

Our first trip out in our DP we left a campground with the door awning out also like RickO. The road into the campground was very narrow with trees on each side. We heard an awful sound, stopped and went around the coach and couldn't see anything that could have made the noise. Finally looked up. The door awning was twisted and hanging on. It only retracted 3/4 of the way. Our first big expense. You were lucky yours still retracted. This was just one of many dumb mistakes we have made. They are all part of the memories.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

And another thing....

We were spending the winter at an RV resort with a golf course and our site was right on one of the holes so I would go out in the evenings and chip and putt a little. I had just walked back to the coach and laid my sand wedge on the picnic table at the rear of my rig. As I was moving some things on the table around I watched in horror as I knocked the sand wedge off of the table and the head of the club slammed into the rear of my shinny 6 month old coach. It left quite a little beauty mark.

Another beauty mark in my full body paint was born when I pulled into a tight site and quickly opened my plumbing bay door to hook up. The CG's water bib was low to the ground and, it turns out I didn't see it until my bay door was slamming into it when I tried to open the bay.

Sometimes you just have to laugh to keep from crying....

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:21 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One time, leaving hunting camp pulling my TT. I had an experience with electrical wires I won't forget. Seems if you bury the cables, and KoolBell forgets to unplug, he can un-bury all the cable back to the electrical box on the pole. Who knew?
Embarrassed doesn't quite describe my feelings that day.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
How about pulling out of the driveway without unplugging from shore power? Did that 15 years ago and we both still wince when we remember it....

Faith
fansill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We have repaired two mail boxes in our old neighbor hood. But the worst moment for us was when pulling away from a gas pump in our Class C, we were too close to those cement poles. Scraped across the back of the rig and then to our horror lodged between the rig and the back bumper. Frank had to remove the bumper from the RV and stow it in the storage compartment before we could drive out. No a scratch on that cement pole...
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #13

So far haven't had any real bad ones but that isn't for lack of stupidity.

I've run over our gutter turnout while I was backing out of our driveway. That was an easy fix but it also told me how close I was to a REAL accident.

The embarrassing one was when I pulled into a Waffle House and parked behind it. I had looked in advance to see that it had a wide driveway around the restaurant. We finished eating and loaded up. With our toad behind us I went around drove around the place...almost. Turns out there were ballards just out of sight on one side of the place! So now I get stupid. I tried to back up the 36' RV with the short Jeep Wrangler attached. Embarrassing......after what seemed like forever, I got out and unhooked the toad, turned the RV around, rehooked up the toad and got the heck away. Thank goodness there wre no windows facing us from the restaurant!
Old 08-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I stayed at a half open "fall time" park, and went out scouting to pick a really great spot to park, mud every where,
I went back to the office where I had left my RV and told the host where I wanted to go-she said no way will you get in there-to much mud. Little did she know.
My DW and I headed back down to the area, all the while listening to my wife on the walkey talkeys, "The host said stay out of there!!" Little did they know.
Anyway to make a long afternoon short, YOU GUESSED IT, I slid off in a ditch, all 22,000 lbs of me, rear tires floating free.
I listened to a few of the other tenters in the area speculate how big the tow truck had to be and how long I would set in the ditch until the ground dried up enough to get the Tow truck in.Little did they know.
I was brought up in southern Missouri and learned to drive in mud. I took all the firewood I had and jammed them under the rear tire, everyone just stood around and scratched thier heads, Jammed the old horse in reverse, said a prayer and backed out LIKE I KNEW WHAT I WAS DOING
I suprised even me, had a great week camping in the spot the host said to use.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote