Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Good job Madame, never say "never". He has more practice and you will have it too, soon.
BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #44

I know you should not watch people backing in but sometimes you can not help it. It does provide a little entertainment in the campground. I never thought about the radio issue that was brought up earlier in this post but man could that ever mess someone up. This is an entertaining thread to read.
Cheers,
Paul
SlyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #45

I just have to add this one" A little off topic but might be interesting
I was overnighting at flying J;
Parking was tight and room between motorhomes was close.
A motorhome came in and tried to park; couldn't quite get it in to suite his wife; she kept motioning him to go around the station and try again; and again and again; (the seventh time I got out of my motorhome and told his wife who was guiding him, that he was going to hit someone if he kept going around the station; she was not to polite when she holloried at me the they would worry about that when it happened; it wasn't 10 seconds after I said that; that he ran into a big motorhome ($350.000) worth, Last I saw them was they were hightailing out of the station. needless to say the man with the $350,000 motorhome was not real happy after he saw the big gouge in the side of his motorhome.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Left is right, right is left, eh?

That is only with the hand on the top of the steering wheel.

If you put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel (with a tt or 5er) then left is left and right is right.

Backing up is so easy. It's not hitting anything that is more difficult.
YUP - can't go wrong with that one!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:43 AM   #47

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had many years of trying to back a sailboat trailer into spots before we got our RV. For the first month, we took the RV to a mall parking lot early Sunday morning and practiced everything from braking to turning to backing up. It probably saved us a lot of grief at some of the CGs we've been in. The worst of those was the Jacobs Lake CG near the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and it was our first CG outside of Texas the year that we bought the RV.

The CG was not at all level and there were huge pine trees on at various points around the site. The problem was that when we found a level spot of our site, we couldn't get the slide out or we were too far from the septic inlet (I already was using all the extra hose that I had.) We must have tried 20 times before we found a compromise that we could live with. The beauty of it all was that, while we had an audience, not a single one of them came over to help.

We've learned over the years to politely refuse help. We have put the RV into some difficult spots and (knock on wood) have never hit anything. My main fear is that there would be a missed communication with someone new.

If you really want entertainment, you should have a boat slip close to the launch ramp at a marina. We should have paid admission for the shows that were often put on. From launching a boat with the rear straps still tied to the trailer to leaving the drain plug out to a guy backing up at top speed, launching the boat and having nothing but his dainty "girl friend" in high heals holding onto the bow line and trying to restrain it. After the boat pulled her into the water, the entertainment really started.
One of the other good ones was when the ball of the trailer came off the hitch and the boat AND the trailer went into the water during launch.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #48
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Last summer, after taking the mini-driving course at the FMHA rally, our next stop was a campground. It was mid-week & an entire loop was empty. We spent a good couple hours, with me at the helm, practicing backing into at least a dozen sites...backing on the driver's side, backing on the blind side, backing using mirrors only (no backup camera)...etc. I got a much better understanding of how to give clear signals (when I'm the spotter rather than the backer) & gained confidence backing our coach.

Although, when it came to getting into THIS site at the next campground, I gladly relinquished my spot in the driver's seat. I was ok practicing in an empty section, but put me in a full/crowded campground with THOSE close trees & I had second thoughts....(what doesn't show is the tree at the rear of the coach, just 3" from the ladder)

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	General Butler Resort State Park 008.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	585.2 KB
ID:	7969  
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lori, I don't think I'd be too thrilled at making that spot- without tagging the coach at least once! Glad Dave is SO good at parking!

I'm hoping to get my chance, with a MH, this year. Am selling my TT and am on the hunt for a new-to-me MH.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #50
DFR

Evergreen Owners Club
This link reminded me of a stunt I pulled a couple years ago. I posted it then but I still laugh about it. I do all the driving of the MH and the DW is my guide when backing. We've done this for years so we are clear in the signals. On this trip we had her sister and brother in law (who is blind) with us. Picture a crowded campground near Mt. Rushmore, me backing into a site with directions from DW. Many people were watching that couldn't see my DW so I had my brother in law go out front and use his white cane like he was guiding me in. Facial expressions were priceless.

340 RK
DFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #51

I was pretty good at backing our 33 ft Class A. We have since changed over to a 5RV and I'll admit that I need to practice in order to build my confidence. We have only used it once so far and luckily it was a pull through. I was so nervous prior due to thinking I would have to back into a small space. I'm sure we will be the entertainment for some of you in the future.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:22 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFR View Post
This link reminded me of a stunt I pulled a couple years ago. I posted it then but I still laugh about it. I do all the driving of the MH and the DW is my guide when backing. We've done this for years so we are clear in the signals. On this trip we had her sister and brother in law (who is blind) with us. Picture a crowded campground near Mt. Rushmore, me backing into a site with directions from DW. Many people were watching that couldn't see my DW so I had my brother in law go out front and use his white cane like he was guiding me in. Facial expressions were priceless.

Now, that's funny, I don't care who you are!
BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:12 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
A danger with radios is that someone else in the park may be using your frequency and just as you are about to say "stop" they key the mike and say "come on back".

Sometimes you may not realize this until after the divorce.
Being new to RVing we use the two way radios and hand signals. Have not had any problems with other people using same frequency. Newer radios have some private channels. I think you need two way conversation while backing in. While backing into a space DW was directing me. Looking in my mirror I noticed two men I did not know coming up behind her and told her that on the radio. They were just crossing my site while we were backing in.I'm sure that each time you back in there will be different challenges doing it.I just take my time. As far as watching people back in, I only worry about it if they are next to me.
doublehooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:11 AM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
After buying our MH I started searching the web for advise on backing and found a video from Lazydays demonstrating what they called the 3 in 1 system found HERE. Using this system and a good set of hand signals we've backed it in perfectly on every try.
I've always found boat ramps a good source of entertainment, the worst I've seen is the guy that backed his boat in with no problem, it was when he went to pull off the ramp he had an issue; left the truck in reverse, hit the gas to accelerate, and backed the entire rig off the end of the ramp. Only had the top 3 feet of cab left above water.
ehunt is offline   Reply With Quote