Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
DDT is harmless. Global warming is a hoax. Mercury contamination in fish doesn't do any harm. Evolution is a myth.

Some people will believe whatever they want to believe, regardless of any scientific evidence to the contrary. WAKE UP PEOPLE!

Joel
All the scientific evidence and studies won't change those who don't believe in science. Even when it's too late to reverse the damage to our environment, they will still insist that they know what's best for our planet and all who inhabit it.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
DDT is nasty stuff and is responsible for many of our predatory bird populations decline including the Bald Eagle and the California Condor. Since it's use was banned in 1972, predatory birds are making a comeback but many still remain on or federal endangered species list caused in large part by DDT.-
True that......Eagles and Hawks have made a huge comeback.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:18 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
DDT is nasty stuff and is responsible for many of our predatory bird populations decline including the Bald Eagle and the California Condor. Since it's use was banned in 1972, predatory birds are making a comeback but many still remain on or federal endangered species list caused in large part by DDT. Genetic mutations are very destructive, species specific, and are cumulative in nature.
So, what would you rather have... fewer spiders that would overcome their exposure to DDT in a few generations and become super spiders or, a world over run by rodents because we killed off all the predatory birds while sterilizing our oceans and killing off 1/2 the world human population through starvation?
I am sympathetic towards a victim of a spider bite but had we kept spraying DDT, today the world would be very, very different.
-Paul R. Haller-
Thank You Paul Well said. It is wonderful to behold the resurgence of the Bald Eagle here in Massachusetts. DDT was some nasty stuff. As I recall, wasn't it resonsible for the weak egg shells of nesting birds?
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:46 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
Well, after an hour of digging out the wound today and packing it I'm all for DDT. They say there is an epidemic of spider bites in Fl. and it's a 6 month or longer recoup time. Believe me, you don't want to go through this. At $136 a visit, 3 times a week for 6 months it's not something you want to do and did I say it REALLY hurts?

I was shot twice in Nam, once back home and stabbed once. This has to take the cake in pain....

You'll never get the recluse with the DDT. Whateveer you spray, it has to hit them to kill them. widows rarely bite unless cornered and have no escape.

I too, used to ride my bike behind the mosquito trucks, trying to stay in the drift. Now I have silicone sisters instead of real breasts, and tattoos where there should be aereolas.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #33

There's science, and then there's pseudoscience. Anybody selling results from a global warming model that has 120 interdependent variables (some models have 140) has nothing more than a great big programming project. Can you imagine the arrogance of saying, "Not only have I isolated all relevant variables in nature that contribute to changes in weather, but I truly understand all the interrelationships sufficiently to know I've modeled them without error"?

One thing that's not pseudoscience is that nasty spider bite. The evidence doesn't have to be inferred from a massive pile of theoretical calculations.
Hope you heal up in less time than quoted.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #34

If you are interested in reading about some of the KNOWN effects of DDT look here: Effects of DDT
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
There's science, and then there's pseudoscience. Anybody selling results from a global warming model that has 120 interdependent variables (some models have 140) has nothing more than a great big programming project. Can you imagine the arrogance of saying, "Not only have I isolated all relevant variables in nature that contribute to changes in weather, but I truly understand all the interrelationships sufficiently to know I've modeled them without error"?

One thing that's not pseudoscience is that nasty spider bite. The evidence doesn't have to be inferred from a massive pile of theoretical calculations.
Thanks Mike. I guess using DDT is a bad idea but there should be something to keep the numbers down of all the biting bugs. At home in Fl. I spray once a month in the house and twice a year in the yard to kill ants, roaches, spiders, fleas and ticks but on the road it's impossible.

At the campground where I got bit the manager said the place was infested with spiders so I suspect I'm not the first person to get bit. He said they spray but it doesn't do much good. As you can guess we left and returned home ruining our annual 5 month trip. We can put a man on the moon but can't control bugs without killing everything else.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
MRBB

A couple of years ago I got bit by a Brown Recluse Spider on my lower leg (shin area) now I get Cellulitis every time I turn around it seems. Not that bad but it always comes back and starts right where I got bit. Good Luck.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #37

iRV2 No Limits Club
Another place to watch out: Open Power Pedestal covers slowly when hooking up. They are a perfect place for wasps to build a nest. I know now from experience!!

Those wasps were really mad at me for opening their safe place!!!
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #38

Dog- Excellent point. I've always opened the pedestal door flap gingerly & checked for spiders. Never thought of a full blown wasp nest.
Guess I'll rearrange my plug-in procedure, to check the pedestal first, then reel out the cord. If I need to vacate the space because the pedestal is already occupied, I won't have to wait till I can safely store the cord.
Nice tip.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #39

Here's my Florida bug story

Many years ago I lived in a mobile home while stationed in Key West. Of course it had a socket in the tongue and, unbeknownst to me, that socket was home to a nest of red wasps. One day I was cutting some grass in that area when I was stung in the top of my right foot. If someone took a white hot ice pick and plunged it into the top of the foot it would not hurt as much. That was the only time in 29 years in the USN that I was unable to go to work. The foot swelled up to the size of a football. I couldn't work at all and I had to keep it elevated for 5 days while taking some prescription meds. Every time I had to stand up to go to the bathroom it felt like it was going to explode.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:23 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxman View Post
Many years ago I lived in a mobile home while stationed in Key West. Of course it had a socket in the tongue and, unbeknownst to me, that socket was home to a nest of red wasps. One day I was cutting some grass in that area when I was stung in the top of my right foot. If someone took a white hot ice pick and plunged it into the top of the foot it would not hurt as much. That was the only time in 29 years in the USN that I was unable to go to work. The foot swelled up to the size of a football. I couldn't work at all and I had to keep it elevated for 5 days while taking some prescription meds. Every time I had to stand up to go to the bathroom it felt like it was going to explode.
Wow! Sure glad we don't have those kinds of wasps up here in the Northeast!! Nasty buggers for sure!
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:18 AM   #41

he
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post

It doesn't require 120 variables to know that the earth is warming and the ice is melting.

Over 95% of the scientists who study climate are convinced. is a remarkable degree of agreement. You don't want to believe it so you dismiss it all as pseudoscience. If you had actually read some of the studies, your opinion might have some value. Until then, you make about as much sense as the flat earthers. Don't bother me with the facts. My mind is made up.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #42

Living in Florida requires vigilance, same as anywhere there is danger. Nowhere are we safe from everything. Fires, floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, huricanes, we just have to be aware. Our United States is a beautiful nation, we just have to be "AWARE"... then enjoy it.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida