Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2022, 11:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
I use "Duck Duck Go" as my searcher.
They claim no tracking.
Works well to get on all the forums we go onto.

Mike in Colorado
Me too. I don’t use anything Google except for when someone sends me a Utube video link. Don’t do anything Meta (aka Facebook), Twitter, Tik Tok. For those that do use social media sites, good for you. I just find them cesspools of jibber jabber.

I find it humorous that people will allow Alexa to listen to everything that goes on in the home, have cameras attached to the internet in the home. I have to believe someone in Russia (or Washington) is watching everything you do.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2022, 11:48 AM   #16

Your ISP is collecting your data and knows everything about your online life. The only way to not have your data collected is to use a VPN so that your ISP doesn’t see your traffic.

VPN’s cost $ and impact performance as you have to tunnel to your VPN’s server to establish the secure link, then route all activity through that link. That only keeps the channel somewhat secure, not what occurs on the other end.
emdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Me too. I don’t use anything Google except for when someone sends me a Utube video link. Don’t do anything Meta (aka Facebook), Twitter, Tik Tok. For those that do use social media sites, good for you. I just find them cesspools of jibber jabber.

I find it humorous that people will allow Alexa to listen to everything that goes on in the home, have cameras attached to the internet in the home. I have to believe someone in Russia (or Washington) is watching everything you do.
A local businessman built a small arena for his indoor football team. I noticed the extensive video surveillance and commented that it must have been expensive (this was 12 years ago) and the G.M. said "Homeland Security paid for most of it, and for the fibre optic internet connection, too!" So my guess is the system provides a redundant feed to some federal agency to be monitored in the event of an emergency. It could also be the G.M. was pulling my leg.

As for the various 'smart devices', I'll have none of them, thank you. No Alexa, no Siri, no google assistant, no smart TVs, no voice command anything. Oh, and no anti-social media, either.
Old 05-02-2022, 05:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
What Chrome does - it keeps other browser tabs from "peeking" at each others data, while Hoovering up all that data and reporting it back to Google. Privacy to google means THEY get to have the info they decline to others. There was a mainstream media report about this behavior a year or so ago along with tech pundit coverage.

Remember - if you're not paying for it, you are the product.
So...other than Edge, what browser are you paying for? And, do you think Edge differs in this regard? If so, why?
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 05:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Frisbie View Post
Then try this;
Go have lunch with a friend. Talk about something entirely new, such as three wheeled motorcycles, or raising catfish, or anything else that you have never shown interest in buying, learning, etc.
Leave your phone on the table or in your shirt pocket.
Go look at FB ads on your page in the next few days. It happens all the time...
You need to do a proper study including control experiments before leaping to conclusions. Do it ten times with the phone and ten times without the phone and then statistically analyze the ads.

Even better would be a blind study where we have a collection of phones all connected to Facebook accounts. Some have their microphones disabled, some don't but you don't know. You pick a random phone and a topic of conversation selected from a random list. Then we'll analyze what ads appear on that account a few days.
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:08 AM   #20

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post
You need to do a proper study including control experiments before leaping to conclusions. Do it ten times with the phone and ten times without the phone and then statistically analyze the ads.

Even better would be a blind study where we have a collection of phones all connected to Facebook accounts. Some have their microphones disabled, some don't but you don't know. You pick a random phone and a topic of conversation selected from a random list. Then we'll analyze what ads appear on that account a few days.
Yeah, I’ll get right on that…

Meanwhile, I can only tell you what I have experienced.
Dan_Frisbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranz View Post

I found when doing this type of analysis that while wearing the tin foil hat the "crinkling" noise and barrier makes it harder to hear the audio. Does that mean the foil is working and is a side effect of the stripping of some of the audio signal?
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:38 AM   #22

I’m happy with both edge and Firefox on my Windows PC, and also on myAndroid tablets. I’m also satisfied with Safari on my iPad. I never use Chrome browser, but have experimented with Chromium based browsers, such as Vivaldi and Brave. Those were nice browsers, but I decided the ones I use are sufficient. I also opt to use Duck Duck Go for my search engine.

mr. ed is offline   Reply With Quote