Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
Take the seat off and put it inside. Creates a real P.I.T.A. to ride.
Especially if you leave the bare shaft in the frame!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I had a Santa Clause tied to the front of my truck grill and someone stole it from a grocery store parking lot.
About ten years ago, someone stole a Santa Claus out of our front yard. I never do Christmas decor anymore as its a pain in the but, and its to cold here to put them up and take them down. Around these parts you see a lot of (trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again) signs. And in the 15 years we have lived here the Santa was the only thing that ever walked off. Nobody ever steals vehicles here. If they do they know you, and may just barrow it and bring it back. Life's to short to let the crooks rule your life. The government is the biggest thief in the world. And I hope we take care of that next month. That we say, don't steal, the government hates competition!
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #17

I can never quite figure out how someone can actually take something that belongs to someone else, and call it theirs. It astounds me.
(a few years ago, someone was stealing hanging baskets right from the front door of houses in our neighbourhood) Argh~
HappyCCRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #18

You could use a cheap vehicle alarm system (like Crimestopper SP101 @ Amazon) with a motion sensor attached to the bike rack.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #19

There are definately stronger locks, chains, and U-bars that you can use on your bike. However, where will you secure the bike? If your secure to the ladder remember it is hollow alluminum...a bolt cutter will make a heck of a mess.
Probably will be better off being situationally aware.
My son had the tire taken from his boat trailer while he was on the lake. It was a busy recreational lake, but people just thought someone had a flat and was changing the tire.!!!
You did not mention where this theft occured, it would be nice to know.
I have the fold up bike...but we really don't use it much, just to keep up with the grandkids at campground. I does not come close to the ride of a good trail or road bike.
Better luck and Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie-dokie View Post
I had one of those fold up bikes. You will feel every bump and pot hole in the street. I now have a regular size bike with a good bike rack that has it's own lock. I also use an additional cable lock. If the thief want's it bad enough, they will figure a way to get it.
That's what we were hearing from people who bought the folding bikes with the small wheels. We looked into it extensively for both our boat and trailer. The condensed version is that the little wheels are okay for a couple miles on smooth pavement. But they're murder on dirt or bumpy roads and you can forget it for off road.

So, we bought two of the low end full size folding mountain bikes called Swiss Bike, and made by Montague. They use full size bike components, 26" wheels, and work just fine on road and on the kind of trails most of us RVers would take on. They even have front forks to take some of the bumps out . I wouldn't try to compete on one but was really impressed.
We keep them folded and in the trailer while in storage or traveling, and cabled to the front of the trailer while in a campground. We bought a pretty good quality cable and I run it through the front wheels, rear wheel and frame triangle. We don't own a tow vehicle yet, but these bikes fit inside the back seat of a rental car folded.
Montague Folding Bikes and Bicycle Commuting Accessories - Montague Bikes
Old 10-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
I would think taking the bike seat of is probably the least expensive, most bang for your buck thing you can do. I've found that crooks that steal bikes are taking them to cycle around to their next crime or to their dealer. They are generally a lazy lot and would move on to another bike that has a seat rather than take one that doesn't. Or paint the bike pink!
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #22

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was looking at the A-Bike which sounds good in principle, but it is really only for flat level road surfaces. Still.. it may be an option for just tooling around a SP campground. Amazon now carries it.
A-bike Online Shop, Free Shipping Charge, World's lightest and smallest bike, www.abike-shop.com
Old 10-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #23

I am finding it difficult to picture someone roaming around on foot with a set of cable cutters sticking out of their pocket. I think this person was specifically looking for a particular type or level of bike. I doubt if they were on foot. So removing the seat would work for a lot of situations, but I don't get the feeling it would have helped in this case. Was it an upscale bike, or did you have some expensive components on it?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #24

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Did the store have security cameras?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Gringos View Post
I am finding it difficult to picture someone roaming around on foot with a set of cable cutters sticking out of their pocket. I think this person was specifically looking for a particular type or level of bike. I doubt if they were on foot. So removing the seat would work for a lot of situations, but I don't get the feeling it would have helped in this case. Was it an upscale bike, or did you have some expensive components on it?
Every crook I check on the job has small pry bars, cutters and other things used to steal your stuff.....average bike isn't pawned/sold for a lot of money......Its an opportunistic crime....And if you were to make your property a little less desireable then the dewey beside you....the crook will steal his.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Still say remove the front wheel. He cant get very far carrying the bike. I can go quite a ways standing with no seat..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #27

It's just a bicycle! I have given about six away in the last 10 years. Kids went off to collage and got new ones, and left some behind. I just haul them out to the projects where a lot of single mothers and poor kids live. I have 2 more at home now because the kids brought them home from school and left without them. I need to find good homes for them also. Kids can't believe it when you pull up and tell them the bike is theirs if they want it. Some have to go ask a parent first, and the parent will come out and make sure it's all right also. I gave a ford 4X4 pickup to the catholic school for a charity auction. The school liked it so much they were the high bidder and use it for the campus maintenance truck. So if anybody needs a bike just let me know as I have a couple more to get rid of.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:14 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
It's just a bicycle! I have given about six away in the last 10 years. Kids went off to collage and got new ones, and left some behind. I just haul them out to the projects where a lot of single mothers and poor kids live. I have 2 more at home now because the kids brought them home from school and left without them. I need to find good homes for them also. Kids can't believe it when you pull up and tell them the bike is theirs if they want it. Some have to go ask a parent first, and the parent will come out and make sure it's all right also. I gave a ford 4X4 pickup to the catholic school for a charity auction. The school liked it so much they were the high bidder and use it for the campus maintenance truck. So if anybody needs a bike just let me know as I have a couple more to get rid of.
Dude..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote