Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2017, 06:40 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
BiPap and COPD

Several years ago I was told I had Adult-onset Asthma, Didn't think, any thing about it. A couple of years later I was told that the doctor that told me I had adult onset Asthma, was just being polite and there was no such condition, and I had Emphysema or COPD.

Anyway, in February I went to the hospital to have an Echocardiogram.
They had to put an IV in my hand so they could use contrast. (what ever that's for) When I walked into the hospital I was very short of breath. The nurse would not let me go home and took me to the ER and of course, I got admitted.
They sent me home with an Oxygen Concentrator and an Oxygen Tank. I want to buy a Portable concentrator, has anyone had experience using the SimplyGo Portable Oxygen Concentrator with Pulse Dose and Continuous Flow ?
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2017, 08:58 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As a retired Respiratory Therapist with 34 years of experience, I can assure you that Adult Onset Asthma is indeed a disease. The name doesn't describe the cause, only the time of onset - adulthood.
The "SimplyGo" is manufactured by Respironics Corporation, a respected leader in the treatment of lung diseases and sleep disorders. You might look for a users forum to help you with your decision. Also, you might be able to rent/lease a unit.
Lastly, although many doctors understand lung disease, I would place my care with a Pulmonary doctor. Best wishes for your treatment regimen.

"To travel is to live"
travelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:44 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelboy View Post
As a retired Respiratory Therapist with 34 years of experience, I can assure you that Adult Onset Asthma is indeed a disease. The name doesn't describe the cause, only the time of onset - adulthood.
The "SimplyGo" is manufactured by Respironics Corporation, a respected leader in the treatment of lung diseases and sleep disorders. You might look for a users forum to help you with your decision. Also, you might be able to rent/lease a unit.
Lastly, although many doctors understand lung disease, I would place my care with a Pulmonary doctor. Best wishes for your treatment regimen.
The reason I say that about Asthma, is that I was told by a Pulmonary doctor, The one that did my last sleep study for my BiPap machine, that the doctor that told me that was trying to find a polite way to tell me I had Emphysema . I was also told that I had COPD with Asthma like symptoms. One of the respiratory doctors at the hospital, so I guess I need to do a lot more research.
The reason I was going to go with the Phillips Respironics Concentrator is that it has constant flow or Continuos Flow. Also my BiPap Machine is a Respironics Machine. It's over 3 years old now so i will be able to get it replaced thru my insurance.
The hospital would not let me out of their expensive hotel until I got approved for a concentrator and O2 Tanks at home.
The company delivered the portable tank to me at the hospital, but they would not let me go home until they were sure the concentrator was delivered and set up at my house. I thought I was going to spend another night there. I was being wheeled out as the dinner trays showed up.
Thanks for the info.
"Semper Fi"
Old 03-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the clarification. Oftentimes, it's difficult to comprehend the information we're being given. Keeping you in the hospital until equipment was in your home was appropriate. Again, best wishes and "keep on traveling"!

"To travel is to live"
travelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:58 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hey w6pea, haven't seen you on here in awhile. Sorry to hear of your COPD. My wife is troubled with it as well but not as bad as she does not need the oxy yet. Good luck and hope you find the right machine.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:12 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While I was in the hospital they did a cat scan to see if it was asbestos related. At least it came back negative.
"Semper Fi"
Old 03-19-2017, 10:00 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have sleep apnea and it's recommended that I use Oxygen. I run at 2.5 LPM. I travel with it. I have a Visionair oxygen concentrator. It has a max output of 5 LPM. I like it because it is continuous flow. The unit is light weight and of all the units I have used this one is very quiet. I feel that's important when using it in a MH. Did I mention it's small too?
It also comes in handy when we're at high altitudes 8000+ and are trying to prevent altitude sickness. We put a splitter on it. Turn it up to 5 LPM and my wife uses a nasal canula to get the O2. It's worked great so far.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:23 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I have sleep apnea and it's recommended that I use Oxygen. I run at 2.5 LPM. I travel with it. I have a Visionair oxygen concentrator. It has a max output of 5 LPM. I like it because it is continuous flow. The unit is light weight and of all the units I have used this one is very quiet. I feel that's important when using it in a MH. Did I mention it's small too?
It also comes in handy when we're at high altitudes 8000+ and are trying to prevent altitude sickness. We put a splitter on it. Turn it up to 5 LPM and my wife uses a nasal canula to get the O2. It's worked great so far.
Tony;
Where were you able to find a splitter for the O2 hose and cannula's ? I have never seen them.
"Semper Fi"
Old 04-24-2017, 07:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
Several years ago I was told I had Adult-onset Asthma, Didn't think, any thing about it. A couple of years later I was told that the doctor that told me I had adult onset Asthma, was just being polite and there was no such condition, and I had Emphysema or COPD.

Anyway, in February I went to the hospital to have an Echocardiogram.

They had to put an IV in my hand so they could use contrast. (what ever that's for) When I walked into the hospital I was very short of breath. The nurse would not let me go home and took me to the ER and of course, I got admitted.

They sent me home with an Oxygen Concentrator and an Oxygen Tank. I want to buy a Portable concentrator, has anyone had experience using the SimplyGo Portable Oxygen Concentrator with Pulse Dose and Continuous Flow ?

I have Inogen portable concentrator which is pulse. It is a G3. I like it better than Simply go. I bought both. I use the simply Go on my Bipap. I don't like hauling my large concentrator around.
I have had 4 different portable concentrators. If you want more info let me know. I sleep with Bipap with oxygen at night.
I still camp out. I have a generator or we stay in campgrounds with electric sites.
sthorinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:37 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
Tony;
Where were you able to find a splitter for the O2 hose and cannula's ? I have never seen them.
Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I got the splitter and canulas from a surgical supply house that provides me with my Bi/Pap and concentrator.
You should be able to get them from a place like Green Cross.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:40 PM   #11

[QUOTE=TonyDi;3566374]Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I got the splitter and canulas from a surgical supply house that provides me with my Bi/Pap and concentrator.

You should be able to get them from a place like Green Cross.[/

I'm glad you were able to get your oxygen taken care of.
Happy camping
sthorinek is offline   Reply With Quote