Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2007, 02:18 PM   #1

I got the following email from a friend and while it is interesting to read.... I wonder how accurate it is ... So take it with a grain of salt.

John

............Forwarded..................
Subject: NO Joke here - Butter v. Margarine

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys.

When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

Originally it was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings.

DO YOU KNOW.. the difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

* Both have the same amount of calories.

* Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams in Margarine.

* Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

* Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other,foods.

* Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has only a few because they are added in to the Margarine!

* Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the
flavors of other foods.

* Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been for less than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine..

* Very high in trans fatty acids.
* Triple risk of coronary heart disease.
* Increases total LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)
* Increases the risk of cancers up to five fold.
* Lowers quality of breast milk.
* Decreases immune response.
* Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC..

This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for Life and anything else that is hydrogenated.
(this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance)

You can try this yourself: Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area.

Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no
value; nothing will grow on it.

* Even those teeny weeny microorganisms nutritional will not a find a home to grow.

Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Share This With Your Friends.....(If you want to "butter them up")!
John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2007, 02:18 PM   #2

I got the following email from a friend and while it is interesting to read.... I wonder how accurate it is ... So take it with a grain of salt.

John

............Forwarded..................
Subject: NO Joke here - Butter v. Margarine

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys.

When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

Originally it was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings.

DO YOU KNOW.. the difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

* Both have the same amount of calories.

* Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams in Margarine.

* Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

* Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other,foods.

* Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has only a few because they are added in to the Margarine!

* Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the
flavors of other foods.

* Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been for less than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine..

* Very high in trans fatty acids.
* Triple risk of coronary heart disease.
* Increases total LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)
* Increases the risk of cancers up to five fold.
* Lowers quality of breast milk.
* Decreases immune response.
* Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC..

This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for Life and anything else that is hydrogenated.
(this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance)

You can try this yourself: Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded area.

Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no
value; nothing will grow on it.

* Even those teeny weeny microorganisms nutritional will not a find a home to grow.

Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Share This With Your Friends.....(If you want to "butter them up")!
John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:34 PM   #3

This info is about 90% true. I am too tired to go into the facts though. I have been trying to tell my mother this for years. Fact is, margarine is fake and butter is real. I try to "keep it real" in my kitchen. No artificial stuff as much as possible. We also drink whole milk only as the fat is actually good for you.

My question is: Why do docs keep recommending margarine for their heart patients like my mom?

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:23 PM   #4

We use butter. I know that we use less butter (about 1/2) compared to margarine. I also cook with butter never margarine and limit solid shortening.

As for why docs keep recommending margarine.... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:12 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Margarine is French for "eeeeeeeeewwwwww"
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
CD

About 7 years ago I was told by my Naturepath Dr. that if I HAD to use one to use butter. We no longer have margarine in the house.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:19 PM   #7

There is a good and complete reply to this argument on snopes.com. Read it here:

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:10 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Margarine </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
After reading this about two years ago, I told the wife to stop bringing Margarine into the house. She hasn't.
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:34 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mamaloya:
This info is about 90% true. I am too tired to go into the facts though. I have been trying to tell my mother this for years. Fact is, margarine is fake and butter is real. I try to "keep it real" in my kitchen. No artificial stuff as much as possible. We also drink whole milk only as the fat is actually good for you.

My question is: Why do docs keep recommending margarine for their heart patients like my mom? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My wife went on the light kick about 20 years ago. Light then Extra Light then Extra Extra Light then Ultra Light. The result was instead of getting healthier I was getting more tired and had migraines more often. Blood tests revealed that my liver levels SGPT, SGOT and Bilirubin were going further and further out of the healthy range.

We went back to old fashioned butter and olive oil now everything is back in the healthy range. My cholesteral levels are where they should be and I don't get migraines unless I make a bad choice and get into something with chemically hardened oils, sugar substitutes or high levels of nitrates/nitrites.

There may be some hype in this report but the parts that are true can get you.

My kitchen is real too. It took a while to get my wife on board but now that she is she won't look back. It did take a case of Aspertame poisoning to get her on board. Aspertame is just another name for a bunch of sugerfree sweetners that are considered by some to be natural however they are metabolisers that can cause high blood pressure which in my wifes case was 195 over 140 with pulse so high they couldn't read it with the equipment at the emegency room we took her to. They misdiagnosed this as Graves disease (Hyper Thyrodism) and irradiated her thyroid. Now she is on synthroid for the rest of her life. After her thyroid was declared sucessfuly nuetralised and replacement hormon levels normal, she went back to her old diet which included naturally sweetend honey mustard salad dressing and a particular brand of chewing gum all the symptoms returned. Now when she has an episode and we know what to look for we can usually find the culprit pretty easily. They are sneaking this stuff into so many items it is not funny.

These sweetners also mimmick the symptoms of Fibremialga, Lupis and one other immune system disorder that I can't call to mind at the moment. They can also cause rapid pulse, heart palpitations and periods of extremely high blood pressure.

Use good sense and try to stay healty.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:05 AM   #10

I think a good beer blows them both away. Oh sure, it might have a few more calories, but it doesn't have any of that "trans..." stuff, and there's lots of healthy things in it. That's my story anyway!
Old 06-25-2007, 06:56 AM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scrib:
I think a good beer blows them both away. Oh sure, it might have a few more calories, but it doesn't have any of that "trans..." stuff, and there's lots of healthy things in it. That's my story anyway! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mmmmmm... beer sandwich.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:14 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My mother is 99 and living on her own does her own shopping and loves butter no margarine for her she says, she likes to sip a glass of beer also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:38 AM   #13

No margarine except for my Soy Garden that has
no trans-fat and no preservatives AND I use butter too
apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:06 PM   #14

Butter is all i ever knew...