Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2017, 11:14 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
When I owned a boat, I really enjoyed this forum: Boat Parts & Accessories For Your Boat - iboats.com
thanks for the link.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2017, 11:18 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRebel View Post
Wow, there are probably more opinions about boats than RV's.

I definitely recommend buying a good used boat. Boats may actually depreciate faster than RV's.
If you are going to buy used, you have to be very patient and wait for the boat that fits your needs, budget, and has been well maintained.
Even more than RV's, sun is rough on boats. Some people park them outside... some without covers. Boat carpet, upholstery, and even the gel coat (outer layer of the fiberglass) are really effected by the sun over time. It is always nice to find a boat that someone bought, kept in their garage and didn't use it very much.

Now, about the opinions: I have owned boats for about 35 years. I've had I/O's and outboards. Both have their pros & cons.
If you are most interested in pulling wake boards or tubes, an I/O is probably the best option for you. Not as much top-end speed as a comparable outboard, but lots of low-end torque for getting the skier up on top of the water.

As far as maintenance; I would much rather own an outboard. Most everything is basically the same, except the winterizing process. It's a big deal with an I/O. Since an I/O is a converted car engine, there is a water jacket. You have to remove drain plugs to drain as much of the remaining water out of the water jacket that you can possibly get out. Then replace the drain plugs and add anti-freeze. Many I/O owners pay a boat shop to winterize.
With an outboard, just add some fuel stabilizer and lower the engine. Lowering the engine allows all of the water to drain from the engine, therefore eliminating the possibility of freeze damage.

I love boats. I love to bass fish and run a 21 ft Champion with a 250 hp Mercury outboard.
Thank you for the input. I think I prefer the I/O for the reasons you mention.

Winterizing shouldn't be an issue here. We regularly get freezing weather, but its usually only at night and only a few hours are actually below 32 degrees. I have a garage to store it in and doubt it would really see below freezing temps.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We were camping at Inks lake in central Texas last week and I had a chance to talk with several boat owners in the campground. It was very enlightening.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:29 AM   #18

21 foot Yamaha jet boat with twin engines, you can buy one with adjustable ballast tanks. Simple to operate and maintain, very safe since there is no exposed prop to hit anything or anyone. Much more efficient engines that burn less gas, winterizing takes 15-20 seconds per engine. I've owned many different types of boats over the years and this is by far my favorite in terms of simplicity and operation.

P.S. There is a great Yamaha dealer in Lewisville Texas, Phil Dill Boats. Check out their website.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:53 AM   #19

We got ours at salvation army for good price.

Volvo i/o with small block chevy.

We are ford folks but the SB chevy v8 is a proven motor that is well more than capable.

Common parts and easy to work on.

Ours is older so it has a carb but it is trouble free.

We added trim tab to out drive and it rides better...which is something to consider...

Start looking and ask to ride along with folks.

Different manufacturers have different hill designs and just like cars they handle differently.

Ours would not plane out at a low speed but does great with the added fin on the drive.

Others have different shapes for different types of use so you have lots of options.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:47 AM   #20

Take a look at the deck boats, Hurricane, Stingray, etc.. They are very versatile in use, can carry a lot of people, pull skiers/tubes, plenty or room on deck and swim platforms, inboard coolers/livewells, ability to plain off at speed, good for fishing or fun...
JUS1MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:58 AM   #21

We bought a 2002 Maxum 19' runabout in 2003. 220hp chevy I/O. Maxum was a step up from a Bayliner, on par with Sea Ray. They folded into Sea Ray in 2006 or so. For the 2003 models, I think Maxum favored fuel injected engines, 260 hp! I added Bennett trim tabs, keeps the bow down during take offs and level side to side when uncle Harry switches seats! Been a few years since we've had her in the water (drought in CA) even though Lake Oroville is almost in our back yard.

We keep it in our garage, so other than dust, it looks like new. Have no idea what the used boat market is.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:00 AM   #22

Oh, yeah, Our 19' has seating for 8; six in the main area and two in the bow.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #23

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
I have had 17 boats in the past from 12ft to 46ft even was a liveabord for a while and worked on them for years I love them miss having one just keep in mind what a boat stands for.

B,reak
O,ut
A,nother
T,housand
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote