Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggard View Post
Contact realtors firms that specialize in farm and ranchland.
For what I think your wanting. Bare land. ?
Already searching on Landwatch.com and Western Land Company.

Yep, I just want cheap bare land. I've lived on solar in the BLM for the last 3 winters. I have transport barrels for water and sewer. I'm just looking for more privacy and fewer rules. A place where I can invite like minded friends to join me and I won’t have to keep my pets leashed. A place where I can do whatever I want - within reason.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #16

We bought two containers to move our belongings from Utah to California. Then stored our stuff in them for two years while building the house.
They are not as secure as you may think. We had lovk boxes to protect the locks from bolt cutters. The thieves used a cutting torch to cut the locks and steal tools and jewelry.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #17

*"lock boxes"
Old 02-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
We bought two containers to move our belongings from Utah to California. Then stored our stuff in them for two years while building the house.
They are not as secure as you may think. We had lovk boxes to protect the locks from bolt cutters. The thieves used a cutting torch to cut the locks and steal tools and jewelry.
Wow. That's dedication to being a thief. Sounds like someone knew you had valuables in there.

Burying it is sounding better and better.
lucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:54 PM   #19

If you bury it what stops it from filling up with water when it rains.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastham View Post
If you bury it what stops it from filling up with water when it rains.
That's a really good point. I'd probably use drain tile before I put it in the hole. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out a drainage system.

He's also talking about Arizona so not sure fulle much of a concern that would be. My brother lives in AZ and he only gets serious rainfall a couple of times a year.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:08 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1320 View Post
That's a really good point. I'd probably use drain tile before I put it in the hole. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out a drainage system.

He's also talking about Arizona so not sure fulle much of a concern that would be. My brother lives in AZ and he only gets serious rainfall a couple of times a year.
In AZ you don't have to worry too much about waterproofing.

I like the idea of burying it but it certainly adds a little to the cost. The ground also might be pretty rocky.

I like the idea OP, I don't have many suggestions but I've thought about doing more or less the same thing so I am eager to see what people come up with.
CoachDitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:19 PM   #22

Find land with some neighbors. Make sure Zoning allows what you want to do. Out in the sticks, You may not have anything left when you return. Even the solar would be missing out there. The heat would be killer. My 5 cents worth. As a Licensed Contractor in California, I deal with this all the time with my Customers.
Hey Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:26 AM   #23

I forgot your talking Arizona. If it only got water in there a couple of times a year you should be good to go. It would probably be dried out before you got back there anyway. .could be cheaper to just get rid of the buckets tarps and garden tools .buy more when you get back if you even need them.Dont mind me I have a very strange way of thinking. Good luck however you do it..
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:06 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1320 View Post
Wow. That's dedication to being a thief. Sounds like someone knew you had valuables in there.

Burying it is sounding better and better.
Just about every container with a lock has something valuable in it.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:32 AM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Regarding the heat inside - A friend has a shipping container in North Texas. He coated the top and south side with a paint on insulation that dropped the inside temperature by about 20 degrees. I plan to do the same.

I'm also considering making a tiny home out of part of it. I've been living in a 24’ class C for 7+ years. A 40’ container has twice the space.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:54 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
What part of Utah to what part of California?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:25 AM   #27

We purchased a container from All Star Storage and Containers in Apache Junction.

I drove up there and picked out a container, a 40-foot that was 9.5 tall. I chose one with minimal damage on the side that would face the neighbors. Before delivery, they shortened it to 35 feet (per my needs), installed a roll-up door, and painted it to match my house. They delivered it to within an inch of my desired location about a week later.

I insulated it with a spray foam insulation kit - that makes a huge difference in the Arizona sun! Never issues with moisture. I would not recommend the roll-up door if security is a big concern - our container is inside a fenced yard with dogs.

Our container was delivered by a big pick-up with a specialized trailer. It required tipping the container enough to make any contents slide to one end. If you plan to move the container while filled, plan the pick-up conditions in advance.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Just about every container with a lock has something valuable in it.
True, but home good valuables, jewelry and such are much easier to sell than say, tools.

Tags
buying