Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2010, 07:00 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Campfire cooking tripod suggestion

While at a campground last weekend, I saw a guy had a cooking tripod with a winch on top of it to raise and lower the grate/kettle without getting close to the heat. I've been googling around trying to find something like this and haven't ran across anything.

Do any of you have one of these, or something similar?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

Dan
olifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2010, 07:30 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
So this contraption allows you to winch-it up or down? I assume the operable part is on one leg and well clear of the heat.

Why does it have to be complicated? In the boy scouts we had a hook at the top & used a chain down to the pot. You adjusted height by which chain link "eye" you chose.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:40 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Actually, the winch was located directly on top where the three legs join together. It looked like a flat plate, maybe 4" x 4" with a hole going down through the middle of it with the chain attached.

I watched this guy use this when cooking things like steaks, pork chops, potatoes, etc. on a grate. He was able to adjust the height according to the heat that he wanted during the various stages of cooking.

It was pretty slick and he never had to unhook anything, which would be handy if you had a cast iron dutch oven full of food.
olifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:03 PM   #4

It could have been something he made him self. I know most of my camping stuff is from my dads ideas that never were ever marketed. But did work very well.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:18 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Bass Pro shops have them. They work great!
jackthebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Never seen one like that but mine has a slider on one leg that holds one end of the chain,, I use a pair of BBQ tools one to lift the grate (At the point where the 3 chains come together) and one to shove the slider down (NOTE: you could just lower the slider but that's harder)

The "Ove Glove" oven mitt. Works well too.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Think that I found it...........

Olifer,

I think I just saw what you might be looking for:

Walmart.com: Coghlan's Tri-Pod Grill and Lantern Hanger: Camping

Walmart.com: Lodge Tall Boy 60" Tripod: Camping

I'm not sure if the second one is adjustable but the first one is.

Sheila
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote