Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2019, 09:59 AM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Can we have data privacy and security?

From another thread -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavenger View Post
Remember folks, I don't care how secure your password is, or if you even use biometrics to lock your system...if I have physical access to the system, I own that system and all of its data in less than 1 minute.
That's scary! Is there a way to protect our privacy? Or do we just hope it's not our turn to be hacked? I have Lifelock. Is it any help, or a waste of money.

I've never owned a car anyone wanted to steal or had any fancy add-ons that encouraged anyone to break into it. Is there a cyber way to make yourself unattractive to thieves? It seems a bigger lock just encourages those looking for the thrill.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Other than removing yourself from modern society and being totally self sufficient no. If you stay off the grid and only pay cash it makes you a robbery target. On the grid you are always exposed. Just simply being smart, keeping your credit reports locked or frozen, and, not being overly paranoid and making yourself a target is really all you can do.The harder you try to protect yourself the more someone will want to know what you are protecting.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Crooks are not all dumb and talented hackers are super smart.

Make it a little difficult to get access to your funds and you'll keep out any petty, lazy, low level crooks. Good passwords. Especially on your router and computers and 99.999% of users will be plenty secure enough.

Scammers and crooks steal from the really easy targets - the elderly and the folks that are computer illiterate and can't even take the really simple steps. They use low-tech tools like the telephone and email to trick folks into giving away their money.

No matter how you secure your network being careless about opening emails with attachments and clicking on the contents is all it takes to give away the store.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:31 AM   #4

As an individual, unless your a High Wealth Individual, you are not a target. Its when you are grouped with thousands or millions of other people that you become *part* of the target. PII (Personally Identifiable Information - SSN) is really only valuable in bulk. You seem to be doing what you can do as an individual by using Lifelock or its equivalent.

The main issue becomes when you go to a business that handles PII (Dr's office) or Credit Card info and realise that they are not protecting you, or anyone elses data, that you are exposed. I.E. Target hack, Experian hack, OPM hack.

My comment in the other thread was stating that, yes, password protect your login on your personal system, or even password protect specific folders in the file system. But there are programs that, if I have physical access to your system, I can reset the admin password on the system to <null> and have full access to the local system. It takes about 3 total minutes including the 2 reboots of the system.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:56 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure what the point is or objective of the original posting.

Sounds like a kid trying to brag about their hacking abilities? If they have physical possession of your device then you have already made a mistake.. but I seriously would enjoy watching anyone without sophisticated tools break into any password protected device in 3 minutes. So, show me!

Lots of folks try to scare those that are already super nervous about theft and security and they are typically selling a "solution" to protect you. As "Creativepart" stated, good password security and practices will eliminate 99.9% - they are looking for easy targets.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugmongous View Post
Not sure what the point is or objective of the original posting.

Sounds like a kid trying to brag about their hacking abilities? If they have physical possession of your device then you have already made a mistake.. but I seriously would enjoy watching anyone without sophisticated tools break into any password protected device in 3 minutes. So, show me!

Lots of folks try to scare those that are already super nervous about theft and security and they are typically selling a "solution" to protect you. As "Creativepart" stated, good password security and practices will eliminate 99.9% - they are looking for easy targets.
Not sure your age, so maybe I am a kid compared to you, but anyway...not bragging. In the other thread the conversation touched on people at Dr's offices and how those offices often leave the systems unlocked and accessible to any patient who is left alone in the room. In my anecdote I mentioned my own experience that was directly relatable. The office's response was that the software logs itself out, however that is not sufficient protection.

And, this *IS* what I do for a living, I secure Information Systems from unauthorized access. If you have no experience with the various pieces of software that have been in existence for several decades, and the fact that Windows hasn't changed how passwords are stored within the OS since Windows 95, I think you should maybe defer to someone who is more familiar.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #7

Do a Google search for 'YOU'
Using YOUR name
Using Any/All 'Handles' you have used
ETC

IF you have been ON the Internet YOU are out there ....period
If you have ever used a Credit Card/Debit Card/CHECK you are out there....period

Home Depot Data HACKED
Wells Fargo Data HACKED
BOA Data HACKED
Medical Data Processing Centers HACKED
ETC ETC ETC

YOU are out there!

And because of that WE have our Credit LOCKED
Doesn't FULLY protect but is BEST that I can do to minimize exposure
And it is CHEAP....
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #8
tcg

In my opinion, Lifelock or similar services are a waste of money.

My homeowners insurance offers identity theft protection, not to prevent it but to aid in fixing it.

My business debit card has been breached a couple times. Every time my bank detected it long before I did. Every time they solved the problem, returned the funds and covered bounced payments and fees.

Near as anyone can tell it happened when one of the big retail outlets was hacked. My information was used to make actual physical cards. Really no way for me to protect against that unless I shop with cash only, that ain't happenin'.

As far as my system, of course if someone sits down at my computer they will be able to see a lot of personal information but they won't be able to login to my bank accounts because those require two factor authentication. They would have to have my computer and a my cell phone. If they have all of that I've got bigger problems.

My cell phone has no security, if some finds it or steals it they can see all the photos of my cats and make some Facebook posts but they won't be able to access anything really important.

I'm not worried about it. I'm not careless but I'm not losing sleep over it.

I've also warned my daughter not to get curious when I die and check my web browsing history. Some things should just go to your grave.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:38 PM   #9

I used to worry more about how I secure my data and account access, but I now feel data breaches are much more likely to happen at the companies I'm doing business with. It's WAY more efficient for a hacker to go after a place where they can score 10,000,000+ people's information, vs my 1 measly old bank account.

I look at a strong password as much the same as locking the front door to your house or car when you leave it unattended. It may stop most casual thiefs, but does nothing for the determined ones.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote