Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #1

Can You Name The Oil Speculator Game

What's your opinion about what should be done to the the major SPECULATOR on this page? Are they traders or traitors?

Oil price tumbles on supplies and Goldman pullback - Yahoo! Finance
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2011, 03:27 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
public stoning and I'll throw the first one
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
it should be based on actual demand and supplies.
not speculation.

case in point, a few companies only or try to sell gas and diesel made from US oil stocks or north sea. these areas are still pumping and supplying the same as they were in january....so why did their price at the pump go up?
murphy oil told me in a letter that they often have to buy oil on the open market and that makes it hard to tell where the OIL actually came from.
but they do use mostly us and north sea based crude...with very limited from the middle east. and this sometimes drives their pump cost up because they need to meet demand, then demand falls and so does their price

the murphy near us....early in the mornings when demand is LOW, gas is the last few weeks 10-12 cents less than the period of 8 am to 8 pm when demand is higher.....i have noticed a tanker at that location about everyday as well.

valero, murphy and a few others strive to use only domestic or north sea crude stock
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
What's your opinion about what should be done to the the major SPECULATOR on this page? Are they traders or traitors?

I'm curious who you are referring to as the "speculator" in the article. Everyone quoted was primarily an analyst.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #5

Speculator and traitors,are in same sentence. It equals profits. Severe Profits. They sucked us for all they can get. We don't need the industry to start paying taxes on profits because no Industry pays taxes. The common taxpayer pays it all. Every last dime. There must be a better way to discipline this. Demand is down and price is way up. I see lots of crooks here.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:37 AM   #6

Let's call them smart business men and women. They know if the bottom fall out again, the Feds will bail them out. Why not take aim at the banks on their interest charges on loans, compared to what they pay on savings, etc. Are they any different?
tucdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #7

So you can get really mad read this page:

Oil Speculation

Of course there's a clue to the answer for the Name Game.

Surest way to stop a snake is to cut off it's head.

So just who is helping the oil speculators? Who always leaves a loophole for their pals?
Old 04-13-2011, 08:49 AM   #8

When you read Oil speculators read Wall Street. Yes those are the very same folks who bet against us making Billions when the real estate market went into the toilet. As you may have noticed not one of those people spent a day in jail! There was an effort to regulate Wall Street but if I'm guessing right, most who are reading this were against that! Instead of doing that we gave them all huge tax bonuses! Of course, in order to get that they had to buy a few congressman and senators but that cost comes back in the form of profits, over and over and over.

This may make you feel better. I was watching an investment new show the other day. They were talking about oil at $300 a barrel in the future! The boys at Exxon will be very happy!
vegascouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post

Do you own even one share of stock? If so, you are every bit as much a speculator as people who speculate in oil. Exactly! NO DIFFERENT. Are you a traitor?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I am lead to believe that in the not too distant past a speculator on the oil commodities bandwagon had to have the physical means to actually store the oil quantity they were purchasing on speculation.

I was watching a news show and it was explaining that the speculator could now buy as much as he wanted, did not really need to have the funds to pay for it prior to it coming out of the ground, if the price tanked on him his only penalty was a payment of 10% of the original purchase price and then he didn't have to come up with the full amount as someone else was there to cover the speculators loses and if the price was higher than his bid when the oil actually came out of the ground he got that oil at bid price and scooped up even higher profits when selling to the end customer.

One of your presidents changed that storage requirement a decade or so back and we have been stuck with ridiculous fuel prices ever since. Then we have the green-o-freakies spouting nonsense about peak oil to really through a bafflement at what is actually happening and as a result we all get to pay too much for fuel.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I am lead to believe that in the not too distant past a speculator on the oil commodities bandwagon had to have the physical means to actually store the oil quantity they were purchasing on speculation.

I was watching a news show and it was explaining that the speculator could now buy as much as he wanted, did not really need to have the funds to pay for it prior to it coming out of the ground, if the price tanked on him his only penalty was a payment of 10% of the original purchase price and then he didn't have to come up with the full amount as someone else was there to cover the speculators loses and if the price was higher than his bid when the oil actually came out of the ground he got that oil at bid price and scooped up even higher profits when selling to the end customer.
One of your presidents changed that storage requirement a decade or so back and we have been stuck with ridiculous fuel prices ever since. Then we have the green-o-freakies spouting nonsense about peak oil to really through a bafflement at what is actually happening and as a result we all get to pay too much for fuel.
I've got a 100 gal storage compartment and it gives about 800 miles in return. One of the best returns on my money that I am able to get when investing in natural resourses. Only problem is I have left little in reserve for future investment.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't make up my mind waht to call them??
Ticks, leachs or fleas?
What ever they are they are blood sucking parasites. and we the public need orkin, or terminix called.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
Do you own even one share of stock? If so, you are every bit as much a speculator as people who speculate in oil. Exactly! NO DIFFERENT. Are you a traitor?

NO STOCK EVER, I do buy gasoline and heating oil.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #14

We all feel the pain at the pump more than most because of our gas guzzlering MH's and I except that . To save I can go slower and cause accidents. But I just paid $1100 to fill my home heating oil tank! Now that is criminal!