Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2016, 05:55 PM   #1

Canada border crossing

The wife was watching a tv show about customs at the canadian border. A non canadian said he was visiting his girlfriend and was going to help remodel their house. They said that is work and he can't do that for them. Why?
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2016, 05:58 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
The wife was watching a tv show about customs at the canadian border. A non canadian said he was visiting his girlfriend and was going to help remodel their house. They said that is work and he can't do that for them. Why?
Perhaps he needs a work visa? Just guessing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #3

Quote:
well its is a Tv show and they tend to embellish things and your saying
their house? as in the girlfriends and the boyfriend visiting?
maybe they think hes trying to stay in Canada indefinitely seeing as his girlfriends cdn and they own a house together and this was the easiest recourse for the border to refuse him entry

the situation sounds a little off and most likely the border people figured out he was there only to perform work and be paid ? hard to say what border guards think on either border at times
I find them a odd bunch at times both going and coming.(not all)
some are real decent
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Perhaps he needs a work visa? Just guessing.
I that is what I'm asking, why a work visa?

If I have a friend in canada, I can't come up and help him work on his house?
Old 12-28-2016, 06:17 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Sometimes ya just gotta be a tourist 😎

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:21 PM   #6

Maybe he had a truck full of tools and the agent has reasonable suspicion that he was going to hire himself out. If he was a younger guy I kinda get that.
radar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Maybe he had a truck full of tools and the agent has reasonable suspicion that he was going to hire himself out. If he was a younger guy I kinda get that.

exactly as I already posted and pretty suspicious that he owns a house in Canada with a Canadian girlfriend well "hello"
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:41 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
The guys aren't fools, but sometimes can be a little too "official" "If you look like a duck and sound like a duck, then you're probably a duck!" is a saying we have up here, so if you look like a tourist and are in an RV, you will be welcome to come for a visit.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:57 PM   #9

Quote:
I think select55 has it about right...The rules are very similar both sides of the border, you cannot take a job from a U.S. or Canadian citizen without a proper work visa (even with no cash involved)...I suspect alarm bells may have gone off when he said it was for his girlfriend, he would not likely be able to prove he was the property owner.
Eagles16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:20 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
The rules for working in another country are essentially the same for US citizens visiting Canada as they are for Canadians visiting the US. You cannot work for pay, including compensation in the form of room and board, while in the other country. There are instances where it does not really make sense but those are the rules each country has set.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
The guys aren't fools, but sometimes can be a little too "official" "If you look like a duck and sound like a duck, then you're probably a duck!" is a saying we have up here, so if you look like a tourist and are in an RV, you will be welcome to come for a visit.
I did forget to say that this guy flew in to Canada, the show covers the border, the mail and a airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
The rules for working in another country are essentially the same for US citizens visiting Canada as they are for Canadians visiting the US. You cannot work for pay, including compensation in the form of room and board, while in the other country. There are instances where it does not really make sense but those are the rules each country has set.

I guess in my opinion if I'm helping a friend with something, it's not work.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:28 AM   #12

This is a situation that I encounter fairly frequently. I have clients that are US companies that are owned by Canadian companies or Canadians. Quite often a meeting will be scheduled in Canada regarding the US companies. I've learned over the years to just simply state that I have a meeting with the Canadian owners of a US company. No issues when I state it that way. All the other "visitor" to Canada needed to say was that they were going to visit friends.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:01 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta be a tourist 😎

Yes Sir!
Old 12-29-2016, 08:19 AM   #14

Quote:
I guess in my opinion if I'm helping a friend with something, it's not work.
Well, unfortunately, your opinion doesn't matter in this situation. The only opinion that does matter is the Customs official. He or she can refuse your entry any time.

Tags
ada, canada