Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2013, 10:09 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Can't find tires

I have been online looking for tires. Lots of OP state they find them @ Costco, Bridgestone, Goodyear here and there and all get good deals at these places. I just got done going thru about 10 different tire places on line and all of them said they don't have that size or it won't let you go to my year on tire search. I even put in the tire size with no luck. Are you calling these places or what am I doing wrong that I can't find any of these places. I am a Member @ Costco No luck there. Very Fustrating
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 10:19 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, it would help to know what size you're looking for!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:36 PM   #3

Costco only lists stock tires on-line. I call and order my 22.5"s and then pick them up when they come in. Lead time has been between 3-5 days.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:37 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ires: six LT215/85FI16C steel belted radials (158.5 inch wheelbase)
six 7.50/16LT/D nylon ply blackwalls (178 inch wheelbase)
six 8.0013/19.5/D steel belted radial blackwalls (190 and 208 inch wheelbases)
Undercoating : on step panels and front wheelhousings

I found these tire sizes in an on line manual for a year later Pace Arrow. Assuming the 82 models had the same tire size then I believe what the OP needs is someone who can convert these sizes into corresponding current day sizes and numbering. Then he can order tires using an up to date number. It seems to me the idea would be to get a size that is close to the originals. An exact match may not be able to be found.

So to the OP let us know your tire size and wheelbase and someone here can help you I am sure.

And a tire dealer should be able to make the conversions as well. Maybe you need to ask for the conversion to the closest size rather than the exact size. No wonder the numbers do not show up in any current day computers at retail merchants.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:14 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Sometimes the size of tire that was installed on the coach when it was built is just not made any more.

Most times, a current size tire will interchange and fit perfectly. You just have to know what that current size is.

Here's an example. An original 295 75 R22.5 can be replaced with a current 275 80 R22.5,and it will be practically a perfect sized replacement.

Here's a very useful tool to help figure this out:

295/75-R22.5 vs 275/80-R22.5 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:25 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
Sometimes the size of tire that was installed on the coach when it was built is just not made any more.

Most times, a current size tire will interchange and fit perfectly. You just have to know what that current size is.

Here's an example. An original 295 75 R22.5 can be replaced with a current 275 80 R22.5,and it will be practically a perfect sized replacement.

Here's a very useful tool to help figure this out:

295/75-R22.5 vs 275/80-R22.5 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator

Jim
I replaced the our front tires (275/70 22.5's) with 305/70 22.5's. A little wider and little bigger but higher weight rating since the old ones were maxed out even with 120 psi. They also required wider wheels so I replaced four of them with Alcoa's and the two inner duals with wider steel ones the same time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:53 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I replaced the our front tires (275/70 22.5's) with 305/70 22.5's. A little wider and little bigger but higher weight rating since the old ones were maxed out even with 120 psi. They also required wider wheels so I replaced four of them with Alcoa's and the two inner duals with wider steel ones the same time.

Problematically the OP has tires of a stranger (at least to me) numerical code. How does he convert those?

I wish the OP would come back and offer some help. Hey, I just made my first wish of the New Year!!!
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Talking poof

here I am. Sorry but I have seen my size posted before on iRV2. I do now remember looking last year and the guy did give me different numbers for replacements but well I didn't trust the guy and tossed the paper work. What I am looking for is 225-70-R19.5. That is what is on the MH, when we bought her 2 years ago. They are skinny and am wondering if I can get a tire bigger or wider? Or stay at the same size?
Thanks for the offers, Happy New Year.
Tim
Old 01-01-2014, 10:31 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thumbs up Went and looked,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Thank you Mr. D,
I went to the site and put in the tire size and it came up with 8 different sizes to pick from. I have boughten tires before but not for MH. I always went with the tire that was on the car but changed manufacture. So this is a first for me, still learning.
Thank you,Tim
Old 01-01-2014, 11:20 AM   #10

When I was replacing tires on my coach I priced the tires at several places and then went to a local small town tire shop who also worked on coal trucks. They easily beat the "out the door price" of all the others. I told them I wanted fresh tires worrying they would put on some year + old tires and he said no problem.

I was so pleased I took all of my other tire needs to them after that. Gotta love small towns!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Check the width of your rims, that is also a factor in getting tires to fit. Are the 6" X 19.5, or 7" X 19.5, or something else?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:59 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I live in a different states than MN but in Michigan at least one tire store chain also has TRUCK centers.. They do not stock 22.5" XRVs (What I wear) but they can order them for you.

Check out the truck tire places near you.. Also if you have a costco card, Visit them in person and chat up a service rep. They may be able to order 'em as well.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Wish we had a Costco in Melbourne... I ordered our two 22.5's from Sam's Club and got them in less than a week. The DOT's were less than two months old and we saved over $70.00 per tire over what the tire dealers wanted. Took 'em to a local truck service ctr. and they mounted (w/new stems) and computer balanced for less than the other guys as well. Before we take off on another trip, we need four for the rear duals...probably do the same thing again after some 'shopping'.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:00 AM   #14

TireRack has Michelin XRV and Continental HDR in the metric size you posted in #8. If you want conversions from the older notations, or are concerned about rim width, etc, call those guys. I used to autocross with the owner back when he started out in an old gas station on the east side of Indy in 1982, and now he's one of the largest tire retailers in the USA. TireRack guys know their stuff!
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires