Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #1

CAT or Cummins

I'm shopping for a Diesel Pusher. We are a couple years away from pulling the trigger. Anyway, The ones in my price range are going to be anywhere from a 1995 to 2001 or so. I want a pusher because It will be an older coach and I want the dependability of a diesel. I can do all the maintenance myself and I know how expensive parts are.

To get back to the question. What are the ups and downs to having a CAT or Cummins. I have been around cummins alot. I ve never worked on a CAT engine.

Is there any reason to skip over the ads that say it has a CAT engine?

Are the cummins in the older DPs the same as what they put in the dodge pickups?
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #2

I don't know much about the Cats, but from what I have heard and read the only extra expense is keeping fresh oil in it for the HPOP. The Cummins that I am familiar with are the ones in the Dodge trucks (primarily the 12 valve engines), but the 1997 and older have the same 5.9. I have also seen where the fuel mileage claims put the Cummins out in front, but I have no personal experience with the Cat.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I too am in the market for a diesel pusher around the same vintage as you. From what I have found is the CATs seem to cost a little more for parts but pull really well. The cummins seem to be more popular. I spoke with a friend of mine who runs the transportation department of a small school district of about 90 buses. He said that he prefers the cummins because of cost, and ease to work for the mechanics and they prefer them too. He then said find the floor plan the wife likes and I would be happy with either as long an the proper maintenance was preformed on the engine. I am looking for at least 330hp and the 6 speed Allison with the push button trans.

Good luck in your search and I am interested to see what others have to say on this topic.
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:13 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you go to Cummins try to get the 8.3 ISC. They have better torque than the ISB. There is nothing wrong with the ISB mind you and the cats in those years are very good as well. Like said the Cat parts are a little more spendy. but the amount these things get used you will probably never mile them out.When you find a coach you like, before you buy, you can check out the specs online on an engine. Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #5

All I can say is from work,,, our mechanics do not like working on the Cats... Maybe it's because we have mostly Cummins and they are used to them.. Not sure... Just thought I'd mention it since you said you'd do your own maint... Also the service intervals are a little longer on the Cummins... In our (large) fleet anyway... In our fleet anyway,, (big trucks) the cummins get better fuel mileage too all things being the same... Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd look at those ones built 97 and older. they should have less problems with their engines.
You can't have a Engine computer problem if you don't have a computer running your engine.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #7

We have a 1998 DSDP with the 3126B Caterpillar. Would buy another without hesitation
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
Is there any reason to skip over the ads that say it has a CAT engine?

Are the cummins in the older DPs the same as what they put in the dodge pickups?
After 14 years at a Dodge dealer dealing with Cummins, before retirement this is JM2cW.
I bought a Cat powered coach, so to question one, I'll say no, reason to pass on a Cat powered coach.
Steep learning curve yes, for doing your own work, but after that not important.
The , Cummins engines ISB ( 5.9) is very much the same as the pick-ups, right down to problems with lift pumps and the VP-44 pump. ( 24 valve, pre 03, HPCR on newer )
ISC ( 8.3 )In the time frame, uses a different fuel system CAPS, so any knowledge of the 5.9 fuel system doesn't carry over.
Good luck with your search, if you decide to go with Cummins , personally I'd try to look for coaches with the ISB in the 03 and newer range, HPCR is a better system, but then you get into VGT turbos , so nothing is perfect.
Then some coaches , with the ISB, come with a smaller Allison transmission , and lower GCWR, so you have to look at every individual component of the coach for your final decision.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #9

Floor plan, floor plan, floor plan.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:05 AM   #10

Thanks for all the info. We have several Diesel pickups and Semi trucks on the farm. All Cummins except for my boss and I have Duramax in our personal vehicles. I can do the maintenance and minor repairs but I don't know all the technical stuff. I do know that a 6 speed Allison transmission is a must for me.

I think I would be happy with about any floor plan as long as it don't look like a flower shop threw up in there. The wife on the other hand.......Everyone I pull up that I like she don't. She don't understand why I want a diesel. Compromise. She can pick the floor plan.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:09 AM   #11

Hands Down, Go with the Cat. MOHO!
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorgan6375 View Post
Hands Down, Go with the Cat. MOHO!
IMO Cummins or Cat is a non-issue when choosing a coach.
Like Ford vs Chevy, (or which way to unroll toilet paper), it makes little difference.
Mel
'96 Safari, 3126 Cat
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:27 AM   #13

After a little more thought, thinking if I had a choice, I might try to steer clear of a 5.9 in a heavier coach.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
IMO Cummins or Cat is a non-issue when choosing a coach.
Like Ford vs Chevy, (or which way to unroll toilet paper), it makes little difference.
Mel
'96 Safari, 3126 Cat
Didn't take me long to show DW the proper way to hang a roll of TP...... The only thing I'm sure I tought her.... And Yes it makes a difference !!!!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, cummins