Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #15

Have had both of mine done. With the first one they gave me a dvd of the surgery on my eye which was pretty cool. I was too cheap to pay the out of pocket $1000 per eye for multi-focal lenses. I can buy tons of $ store reading glasses.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2018, 02:15 PM   #16

Relax Glenn, like the responses have said, nothing to it. And after all those eye drops, dropping, you'll learn how to drop those drops. 2 days later, went to get my CDL, and the Doc said what's your hurry, and sent me home. Give those eyes a chance to heal. yes, I also can see better. Reminds me when I had to get hearing aids. I also can hear the birds chirp. Good Luck
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:28 PM   #17

8 1/2 minutes per eye, and boy I can See!!!!
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:36 PM   #18

I had both of mine done with laser and corrective lens about 20 years ago. On one of them I mentioned to the Doc that my brother served in Vietnam. It turned out he did too and he told me about a harrowing experience he had there, all the while doing cataract removal surgery on my eye. I was a bit concerned, but both eyes turned out perfect and I was 20/20 until just a few years ago when it slipped to 20/30. At 79 I can still drive fine without glasses.

On mine there was absolutely no pain and I was conscious through both procedures done a week or two apart.

Prior to the surgery I was getting a new prescription and glasses every few month's. At some point the optometrist told me I could either keep doing that or have cataract removal surgery. It was the best thing I ever did for my eyes.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

My only advice ... find the absolutely best ophthalmologist in your area. No flashy clinics, no slick tv ads, not what’s necessarily convenient ... just the best. Try to discover who in your area fixes the botched jobs of others.

You won’t be conscious enough to see, think or feel anything freaky.

That's the best advice that''s been offered here. I absolutely agree. Not something you want to have the low bidder doing. I had one eye done several years ago and it really is an easy process for the patient. You will be in la-la land for a while. Awake, but mostly out of it. You really won't care about it.

Counting the cataract surgery, I've had 5 different surgeries on my right eye over the last 10 or 12 years. All retina issues - tears and detachments and thankfully I think its finally stable. You do need a good doctor. Ask around. I am very lucky as my wife has been the administrative assistant to a group of Ophthalmologists for the past 25 years or more. The original founder of the practice for whom she originally worked was one of the pioneers in the use of interoccular lenses (implants). They are the ones that deal with many of the screw ups from other clinics. So I am one thankful guy.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:58 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
I just had my eye done on Wed. New world on Thurs. You haft to use plenty of drops but that's the only problem
poordave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Janet had both of hers done. Now her sight in front is as good as the eyes in the back of her head. Can't get away with anything!

Few minor restrictions for a few days until the eye heals but seemed to be very easy.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:14 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I had cataract surgery years ago and it was no big deal. They put so many drops in your eyes that by the time of your surgery you will have no sensation in it. You have to be somewhat awake to keep your eye from moving around during the surgery.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:14 PM   #23

Carolina Campers
I had mine done last year about two weeks apart. Best thing I did. I had the Toric Lens implanted as I didn’t want to wear corrective glasses post op and my astigmatism was horrid. Yes, I paid more but the offset is that all I need now are readers and I get a three pack at Costco cheap.

My surgeon did have me awake but they cover the eye not being done and the light is so bright in the one they are doing, you can’t see what is going on. His reasoning was he wanted me responsive to his instructions. If you are out, your eyes will move involuntarily and he needs that controlled.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
I'm getting the upcharge $3000 lenses, but to get the laser I would have to travel and stay overnight in a hotel, so passed on that. Actually I didn't want to spring for both upcharge on lenses and laser and figured lenses were more worth it. Also would have had to leave home a 5:30 am If I didn't hotel it, and that is a big no-no for me.

Glenn
I had both eyes done about seven years ago. The operations were about three weeks apart. Totally pain free and what a difference. No longer have a halo when night driving and no longer a yellow like tint to colors. I chose to have the distance vision corrected with the implants and use prescription glasses for reading. My distance is now back to that in the early 70's. I save all my glasses and their original cases, so after recovering from the second operation I tried on my first prescription glasses from 1970. I could not detect a difference between those glasses ( the days of aviator style frames!) and my current prescription glasses, for distance viewing. I use the 70's glasses for backups stored in the tow vehicle. For close up backup frames I use a recent previous prescription glasses.
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:41 AM   #25
IC2

Add my name to the chorus of happy cataract patients. Several weeks of drops before and after. The surgery was done by the best local doctor and according to the nurse, it took between 8 and 11 minutes (no clue as I was in La La land). My wife had one eye done by another doctor about 10-12 years and had a few problems due his poor technique. Her second eye is scheduled for sometime this late spring by the same doctor as mine. Now, if my ARMD (macular degeneration) would 100% go away as easily as a cataract I would be even happier without having a needle stuck in an eyeball every 6 weeks

It's h234 to get old but way better then the alternative.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:39 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for all of the support.
Tomorrow, 7:30 am the moment on truth.

Glenn
Old 04-08-2018, 08:44 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Glenn
Good for you! You'll be done before you know it.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:51 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Glenn
Said a prayer for ya, man .... let us know how you do!
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat