Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Chassis Rust fix

I've noted rust on the chassis steel with the undercoating starting to bubble and pop off. My limited experience was to remove visible rust and use rust-oleum, primer and paint. Another suggestion was use cold galvanize paint not familiar with it.
Any other ideas
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2015, 07:16 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I used POR-15 (Stop Rust with POR-15® - We Know What Permanent Means!) on a car I restored several years ago. I thought the results were pretty impressive. It's not cheap though.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:19 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Rust Reformer, just wire brush area and spray it on, works perfect and easy to do.

Everything is small stuff!
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #4

I've been using the POR-15 for marine use for decades and highly recommend it. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #5

I am another happy POR 15 customer. Over 3 years ago I used it on my house battery drawer. It still looks great. When applied according to directions, POR 15 is great for stopping/protecting against rust and corrosion. Note: do not get POR 15 on your skin, you have to wait for it to wear off. Also, I like the little metal cans of paint because once opened, it can not be stored for later use.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #6

We just had ours done. Used Rust-o-lium product.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:10 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Clean off and apply fluid film..... Easy prep and works great...
Old 08-26-2015, 08:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
I am another happy POR 15 customer. Over 3 years ago I used it on my house battery drawer. It still looks great. When applied according to directions, POR 15 is great for stopping/protecting against rust and corrosion. Note: do not get POR 15 on your skin, you have to wait for it to wear off. Also, I like the little metal cans of paint because once opened, it can not be stored for later use.
X2 on POR-15, it will be the best fix for OP's problem. Wear some disposable gloves on your hands. *Anything* it gets on will be very hard to remove once dried. Lacquer thinner can clean up wet POR-15 paint. Once dry it is impervious to any solvent. So put some cardboard, drop cloths or similar under where you are painting. Brush it on, spraying is bad for your lungs. Throw brush away when done, so use the cheap brushes. Do not over-prep the surface, just wire brush loose rust off, it works best if not applied to clean metal, it needs some rusted surface for best adhesion. POR-15 is not UV stable, it will fade to flat after it goes on as gloss black if in a sun exposed area.

POR-15 is a moisture cured paint, so once the can is open, it starts to cure. That is the reason for the small cans being preferred. You can pour some out, then very diligently clean the can and lip before replacing the lid. That will save the paint, but if any paint is int he lip, it will effectively glue the lid on permanently once it dries. Some people put a layer of plastic film before the lid goes back down to help with removal.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, rust