Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2019, 12:47 PM   #29

Location: From California currently traveling this great country.
I would guess no it would not be okay
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #30

I am not an expert here but I know it is legal for M/C to split in Calif and I believe several other states. If you feel strongly about it I would wait till there is a cop behind you and give it a try. I know I can do it on my MC cause I have done that with a motor cop that needed to keep his bike moving on a HOT day.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2Driver View Post
The top image was taken on the Tail of the Dragon (U.S. 129 crossing the North Carolina-Tennessee border just below the Great Smoky Mountains National Park - 318 curves in 11 miles).
Never got to take that ride but love the vids on u tube
Old 02-27-2019, 01:03 PM   #32
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyof5 View Post
I would guess no it would not be okay

Motorcycles are more special?

I don't get why small cars can't split lanes as well. Especially when it's necessary.

I have no idea what would make it necessary.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post

I don't get why small cars can't split lanes as well. Especially when it's necessary.

I have no idea what would make it necessary.
For those of us that spend the money for our bikes yes they are "more special" then your cage with A/C and water cooled. Since we can't maintain our air cooled system. So keep your small car maintained and it shouldn't overheat so you should not have to split in your smart car
Old 02-27-2019, 01:56 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Also a rider of many years, Triumphs, BSA's and HD in that order and ex So. California native too boot. Lane splitting is not my choice but the key is "my Choice". Attitudes on the road have changed and not for the better. Just do some reading on irv2 How nobody knows how to drive except RV operators who seem to be the only sane drivers on the road..(Who will not give an inch to anyone driving too slow or too fast, exiting on or off the road and so on). Even seems hard to control keyboard road rage here.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:06 PM   #35
tcg

Quote:
For those of us that spend the money for our bikes yes they are "more special" then your cage with A/C and water cooled. Since we can't maintain our air cooled system. So keep your small car maintained and it shouldn't overheat so you should not have to split in your smart car
So the necessity is because your vehicle is poorly designed?

And for the record I've owned motorcycles since I was 17 and I've never found the need to split lanes.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJowdy View Post
I'm sure everyone has their opinion of lane splitting and here's mine.

Personally I would like to see the law changed in CA and not allow lane splitting.

I rode motorcycles for years and gave up when I realized that there are only 2 kinds of riders, those that have gone down and those that will go down.

Lane splitters are annoying, unsafe and cause a lot more accidents than most people realize. It doesn't relive traffic congestion as suggested and if anything it causes road rage. (Especially when some jerk splits lanes in stopped traffic and rev's up his engine up to 17,000 RPM's as he's passing cars)

On top of that there are those people driving cars who veer left or right in their lane to allow M/C's to split their lane and in many situations they cause the driver is the other lane to swerve because he/she thinks that the car is coming into their lane.
Completely agree. It's not legal where we live but it happens all the time, usually by speeding bikes. My wife was startled once and could have easily swerved into the opposite lane.

I really don't get it.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:32 PM   #37

Quote:
So the necessity is because your vehicle is poorly designed?

And for the record I've owned motorcycles since I was 17 and I've never found the need to split lanes.
There are very few good reasons that's for sure however when it is your only mode of transmission for 10 yrs on those days it is 110 I am not sitting behind someone for an hour. Most of my bikes were air cooled not the best design for heavy traffic. My water cooled bikes were great but every now and then it was necessary to move some air.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:34 PM   #38

Quote:
There are very few good reasons that's for sure however when it is your only mode of transmission for 10 yrs on those days it is 110 I am not sitting behind someone for an hour. Most of my bikes were air cooled not the best design for heavy traffic. My water cooled bikes were great but every now and then it was necessary to move some air.
Just curious..ever live and ride in the desert?
Old 02-27-2019, 02:36 PM   #39
tcg

Quote:

Know your equipment and stay off the highway?

Sorry, still don't get it. If you're overheating there are safer ways to cool off. Head over to the shoulder and shut it down comes to mind.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:43 PM   #40

I agree with what your saying however pulling over is not always an option. I happen to believe that the real problem comes from rice rockets doing 50 while splitting because they can or HD riders with that loud exhaust that freak people out. If I am not mistaken the law says something about at a safe speed. We all know that is not how it happens alot of the time but that is my take on it.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:49 PM   #41

Also it is not super unsafe"and I use that term loosely" if you are paying attention not trying to set speed records and not being a total ass. I do agree it is not the safest thing but then again riding on the street isn't safe either.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:59 PM   #42

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

If you want to drive a special car to get through traffic faster, there are places to apply for the privilege:

https://www.indeed.com/q-Police-Officer-jobs.html
https://www.indeed.com/q-Entry-Level...hter-jobs.html

Your attempt to equivocate small cars and motorcycles on this issue is kinda ridiculous. Make a car narrow enough to match a motorcycle, and then you've got a shot at this, but right now you just don't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence
^^^ There's your answer. Not the one you might want, but it's the correct answer to your question. ^^^
Closed Thread