Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #29
JDT

The lack of civility has become even more a part of our society thru the examples we hear and see everyday on talk radio of all kinds, politics, newscasts, Facebook, Twitter, forums and the like. It scares me what our kids our learning. I was taught to say sir to anyone older than me (reinforced by the Army) and show kindness and respect to everyone no matter their station in life. Hard to do sometimes but I try.

I sometimes edit what I have typed several times to be sure I don't offend but still answer a question or give an opinion. Again, hard to do sometimes. iRV2 is by far the best with good, solid answers and opinions that are usually civil.

By the way, thank you moderators for your thankless job.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to JMacy
Thanks for your sensitive and needed insight

Ph.D. Psychology, Applied Sports Psychology
Old 09-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapoppa View Post
Having a conversation on line gives one a feeling that anything goes simply because there's no danger of getting popped in the nose if you say something that torks the other guy. Texting, IM'ing and all that stuff has taken the real interaction out of relationships that help maintain civility. If you bend someone's nose out of shape it's not like it's a big deal and they can get over it or not.

The wife and I have been RV'ing for over 20 years and so far we haven't found many rotten apples up close and personal, they mostly hide behind the anonymity of the computer screen. We're going out this weekend and just hibernate, no phone, no computer, just us and our puppies.

Sometimes it makes for a better you to be able to get away and she'd all the negative energy. We have stayed at Canyon Creek Rv and it is an electronic dead zone. Great way to unwind.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_public View Post
+1 on what Lori said. I'm a member of many forums and was an admin of a non-RV forum for two years. I've seen a lot. This forum is one of the MOST civil and friendly forums I've experienced.

One suggestion that I made in my forum that takes a lot of tension out of posts is to remove the word "you" when disagreeing with someone. The word "you" immediately makes your writing personal. If it's a positive comment, that's great. If it's a negative comment, it's perceived as an attack. For example...

Suppose you disagree with someones opinion. Here are some options:

"You're a moron!" - This is obviously a personal attack. 'Nuff said.

"You're wrong!" - A little better, but it will probably be perceived as an attack regardless of your intention.

"Your opinion is wrong!" - Now it's getting more indirect. It's still pretty aggressive, but it focuses on the person's opinion and not the person. Person is good; opinion is not.

"I disagree with your opinion." - Even better because it's not saying that the person is wrong, but just that you disagree. Now you can present your case.

"Thanks for the info. Interesting point. Here's another side to it..." - Completely removes the "you" from the equation. It's now two (or more) people recognizing the value of each other, but still maintaining the space to present their own facts and opinions.

In my opinion, the vast majority of posts in irv2 use the last two styles of posting. This makes it a nice place to hang out.

Thanks,

Dan.

p.s. I've been in some forums where many of the posts start with "You're an idiot". You might get some help and information, but it's NOT a nice place to hang out.

:-)

Old 09-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helotes2010 View Post
"I really wish folks would express their positions even maybe disagreeing "

I'm in the Army so let me express my opinion of Navy Sailors like you. You guys are alright in my book!

I agree with you, let's be civil and camp-on!
I too was once a Soldier, just saw the light! But I guess that is for a different thread!

I do wish discourse was better, sure has changed since my youth.

Go Navy! Beat Army!
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
$0 doubled is still $0. However thanks for the appreciation.

It really is our members who make iRV2 what it is. In a forum this size, there's bound to be a few bad apples in the bunch, though. But just like Donny sang: "One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch...".

Lori-

To funny, I remember Donnie in first run also! BTW I think your salaries should be tripled. IMHO
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #35
Community Administrator

Quote:
$0 doubled is still $0.

Lori-

$0 ? Now ya tell me.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #36
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
$0 doubled is still $0. However thanks for the appreciation.

It really is our members who make iRV2 what it is. In a forum this size, there's bound to be a few bad apples in the bunch, though. But just like Donny sang: "One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch...".

Lori-

Lori, I just FIDO them..."forget it and drive on" !
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #37
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
The lack of civility has become even more a part of our society thru the examples we hear and see everyday on talk radio of all kinds, politics, newscasts, Facebook, Twitter, forums and the like. It scares me what our kids our learning. I was taught to say sir to anyone older than me (reinforced by the Army) and
Quote:
show kindness and respect to everyone no matter their station in life
. Hard to do sometimes but I try.

I sometimes edit what I have typed several times to be sure I don't offend but still answer a question or give an opinion. Again, hard to do sometimes. iRV2 is by far the best with good, solid answers and opinions that are usually civil.

By the way, thank you moderators for your thankless job.

I've always heard that you better be nice to those you meet on the way up, you may meet them again on the way down!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote