Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2012, 04:47 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeapBigEngin View Post
Re alternative refer, would sure appreciate some additional info from those that have replaced their Norcolds. Don't need excessive detail...."Reader's Digest" format would be great. Curious about refers available, approximate unit cost and whether you did the install or had it done. Any info would be greatly appreciated....Thanks!
I put in a 2-door 'counter depth' Frigidaire for $1500. Lots of info from others with pictures of their install, so I won't. The Norcold did just fine until Mesa, AZ summer heat killed it this year! (The first one died 3 years ago, replaced under warranty.) Took out the old one, and did the new install myself. I had the new one brought in sideways thru the large escape window by 3 guys after removing the doors. I had to widen the space to 36", and make a new lower floor. Some Samsung model fits the Norcold space. Want more info from me, give a PM.
elgarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
When we bought the Class A earlier this year, the very first thing I did, before sleeping in it even one night, was to replace the cooling unit with one of the Amish-made units! Our lives are worth FAR more than what that cost me!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Same here! Just bought a new DP...gonna have to do the same again.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #31

You would think by now that there would be a class action suit against Norcold. All these fires and they have to know about the problems. If I had a Norcold it would be gone.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:57 PM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Glad no one was hurt. What brand/model of MH was it? Was Norcold in a slide?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:10 PM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Both Norcold and Dometic have had problems. I replaced our cooling unit with one of the Amish units last year.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:03 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I am making a guess here: I would say that is was running on electric, why do I think that, When plugged into shore power paying a nightly,weekly,monthly fee I would think everyone would run on electric side. Articles state more fires when running on electric due to my thought. If it was running on propane and a leak happened the end result would be the same.
My norcold runs all summer from april till november on #2 setting (1-5) I never defrosted it once this summer and had hard ice cream. I am lucky mine is not on the recall list.
i have read on this forum and elsewhere that if you have the auto mode selected and the fridge detects a cooling problem, it will switch to the propane mode possibly causing a fire.
i leave my n822 in ac mode or in propane mode, never in auto.
my unit supposedly in not the subject of a recall yet. that doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
there is a class action law suit in progress.

Norcold Recall

Attorneys Reporting Norcold Class Action Suit | RV Business
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
[QUOTE=DAN L;1416269]i have read on this forum and elsewhere that if you have the auto mode selected and the fridge detects a cooling problem, it will switch to the propane mode possibly causing a fire.
i leave my n822 in ac mode or in propane mode, never in auto.
my unit supposedly in not the subject of a recall yet. that doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
there is a class action law suit in progress.

Do you remember where you read that about problems and switching to propane? I never heard of that. Maybe someone on here can tell us if that is so. If you get a leak the heating elements (red hot) or the flame from the propane burner will end up in the same result......Fire. I would never run my fridge on manual as sure enough I would forget to switch it after unhooking from shore power and would end up with a mess for sure.

Here is what I found on this:

LIMP MODE OF OPERATION
This control system contains a feature where it will
continue to operate the cooling system in the event of a
failure of a major operating component. Two different
modes of operation can occur in this category.
If for some reason the display module becomes non
functional, the control system will revert to full automatic
operation selecting the best energy source available
with AC, GAS priority. The temperature of the refrigerator
will be maintained at the MID position within normal
temperature tolerances. The power module will continually
attempt to reestablish operation of the display module.
The second limp mode of operation will execute when a
failure of the temperature sensing device or associated
electronic circuitry occurs. If this should occur, the control
system will operate on the energy source selected
via the control panel. The cooling unit will run continuously
on the selected energy source. The refrigerator
will continue to operate in this mode indefinitely or until
a new sensor is installed and the system is reset.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #36

Models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Bus View Post
I've read what articles I've found on here, but haven't found one that specifically lists the "three models" of Norcold units. I recently bought a '92 Holiday Rambler class A with a few-years-old Norcold 3-way fridge with fan mods to aid in cooling, which seems to cool wonderfully. One of the reasons I purchased it was because so many of the key components had been upgraded over the past 3-6 years.

Do we know what Norcold models are seemingly the culprits?

I'm so thankful your friends are okay. Prayers going up for their struggles over the next weeks as they work through this.

LDDP
LgDietDrPppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LgDietDrPppr View Post
I've read what articles I've found on here, but haven't found one that specifically lists the "three models" of Norcold units. I recently bought a '92 Holiday Rambler class A with a few-years-old Norcold 3-way fridge with fan mods to aid in cooling, which seems to cool wonderfully. One of the reasons I purchased it was because so many of the key components had been upgraded over the past 3-6 years.

I'm so thankful your friends are okay. Prayers going up for their struggles over the next weeks as they work through this.

LDDP
Find your serial # or model # and look up here Norcold Recall
Old 01-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #38

Like I told my wife, when you hear a smoke alarm in a motor home, you get out fast, then look back to see what's going on...
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by LgDietDrPppr View Post
Another article below. Lawyers, being who they are, would never pigeonhole themselves to a specific "model" when they can target a "brand".
To much work to be exacting, much easier to load buckshot and see who/what you hit ($).

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com...os-011076.html
Magic Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #40

Thanks, Hugh and Palehorse....I'll look mine up now. My budget won't allow much change of units now, but I will be interested in the Amish unit or even a residential type as soon as I can swing it.

I googled the Amish built ones, not sure I found a good resource for purchase. Anyone have a reliable vendor contact or website?
LgDietDrPppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #41

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When ours shut off due to the sensor detecting the high temp it was on elec. I manually switched over to gas and it ran a couple more hours then quit completely. That's when I installed the Amish cooling unit.
Last month I found the refer was running on gas and wouldn't run on elec. I pulled the heating element and found it was broken in half, right at the bend. This blew the 5 amp fuse in the control box also. Have a new one to go in but just haven't gotten to it since the wife is so sick.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
My Norcold unit has no sticker telling me the model serial etc. Is there another way of detecting these numbers because I am getting leery of using the fridge as Denise and I do a lot of dry docking? TIA
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote