Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2019, 02:03 PM   #1
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
COE Needs Better Engineers

We stopped at a very nice COE park for a midway stop. I figured no reason to haul waste water for another 200 miles so I stopped at the dump station.

Apparently they are so into water control that they create the dump station complete with a brown lake surrounding the waste pipe. The concrete surround is nicely slopped to the pipe, but some moron decided that the pipes should be above ground level by 3-4 inches. Then someone else signs off on this? Park is at least 10+ years old and they haven't figured it out yet? Maybe it was an experiment in mosquito breeding?

Glad we don't get all the government we pay for.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 07:19 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
You see that at many campsites. COE parks on the whole are terrific and one of our favorite places to camp.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
We stopped at a very nice COE park for a midway stop. I figured no reason to haul waste water for another 200 miles so I stopped at the dump station.

Apparently they are so into water control that they create the dump station complete with a brown lake surrounding the waste pipe. The concrete surround is nicely slopped to the pipe, but some moron decided that the pipes should be above ground level by 3-4 inches. Then someone else signs off on this? Park is at least 10+ years old and they haven't figured it out yet? Maybe it was an experiment in mosquito breeding?

Engineers don't want rain water filling the pipe, therefore they keep pipe above grade. Just put your sewage hose into the pipe!
Lantley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:29 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds like it's sloped towards the pipe to keep any spillage from contaminating the surrounding area. Now having someone keep the spills cleaned up...that's another matter entirely...
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantley View Post
Engineers don't want rain water filling the pipe, therefore they keep pipe above grade. Just put your sewage hose into the pipe!

EXACTLY......
Engineers designed it with a little fore thought.....
Unfortunately they can't engineer the STUPID out of some of the folks using (mis-using) the dump station
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:36 PM   #6

Quote:

Then you would really love the I-5 freeway in the Magic Mountain area that they have been working on for years.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #7

Quote:

I wish we did get the government we pay for!
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #8

Quote:

well i would think the COE engineers did it right

Too Bad Cousin Eddie ( Vacation movies) dumped there before you. COE builds damm good dams and other projects. Hope you got dumped without skeeter bites. come to MN skeeters don't worry about small water areas
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsfla View Post
Hope you got dumped without skeeter bites. come to MN skeeters don't worry about small water areas

Yeah, they can't land on small water areas; the mosquitoes in MN are large enough to get tail numbers from the FAA.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:47 AM   #10

COE Needs Better Campers
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasL View Post
COE Needs Better Campers
+1
The pipe above grade level may well be a local requirement because we see it at some campgrounds of any type, especially in flood prone areas.

COE campgrounds are very well laid out in all respects and usually the most inexpensive of any that we stay at. They are our first choice of campgrounds anywhere we travel.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:06 PM   #12
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I will concede that there is a possibility that the pipe is 3-4 inches above the sloped concrete to stop rain water from entering. How ever since this is was in the dry side of Washington, I have my doubts.

Odd that most of our travels are in western Oregon and Washington and it does tend to rain--a lot. Seems as most are not so poorly designed.

It was a stretch to get the hose into the pipe without going wading, I generally don't pull on my hip waders to dump the tank.

Do people need to be more careful when dumping? Oh, yeah. Does stuff happen? Yes. I am sure that most have had a problem with the hose shooting out, breaking, poorly attached fittings, etc. Now how many admit it?

At some point some employee, or contractor, must do some general cleaning or at least a drive by inspection, it seems as though the brown lake may be a clue that there is a problem.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:58 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Well I will concede that there is a possibility that the pipe is 3-4 inches above the sloped concrete to stop rain water from entering. How ever since this is was in the dry side of Washington, I have my doubts.

Odd that most of our travels are in western Oregon and Washington and it does tend to rain--a lot. Seems as most are not so poorly designed.

It was a stretch to get the hose into the pipe without going wading, I generally don't pull on my hip waders to dump the tank.

Do people need to be more careful when dumping? Oh, yeah. Does stuff happen? Yes. I am sure that most have had a problem with the hose shooting out, breaking, poorly attached fittings, etc. Now how many admit it?

At some point some employee, or contractor, must do some general cleaning or at least a drive by inspection, it seems as though the brown lake may be a clue that there is a problem.
You have to remember that they probably use the same specifications for RV parks all over the country!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:46 AM   #14

Quote:

I don't dispute the brown lake being a problem. But the potential for the sewer system to overflow with rain water is a much bigger problem.
You have to understand the big picture of putting a sewer system in a remote area, to grasp the potential for the system to overflow with rain water.
With that in mind the brown lake is a minor inconvenience
Lantley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine