Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2019, 03:47 PM   #29
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You can get it for 1/2 the price if you do some Googles. Don't buy it in a grocery store! Also, it comes in different strengths. You probably weren't buy the correct one.
Keurigs! We tried many blends along with buying their overpriced adapter and the coffee still always seemed bland. Then when both of us wanted that quick early morning cup, one of us and me being a gentleman, had to wait. Of course there was that 2nd cup .....
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
We have a Mister Coffee that we have had for 15 years and yes it still makes great coffee. We only use it when we have 30 amps available. I would NEVER fire up our generator just to make coffee especially early in the morning...sadly too many folks will do just that.

We also carry an 8 cup stainless steel coffee pot that works just fine on top of the stove for when we do not have AC.

We use a 1000 watt inverter to make our morning coffee if in a CG.

If in Truck stops or Walmarts, it depends on where we are parked.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:41 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguablanco View Post
I choose option 3, the french press. Efficient, safe and makes excellent coffee. Also the smallest option.
RichH
Years ago I discovered a vacuum insulated French Press and have been using ever since.
Makes great coffee. (Make sure to use coarse ground coffee)
Small footprint.
Easy to use.
Indestructible.
No generator required.
Easy to clean (I just rinse the grounds out on the grass [compost])
Fast, I can make coffee as fast as I can boil water.
Used in a pop-up camper for 15 years.
Continue to use in Class B+/C-

Old 02-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #32

I used Melitta cones for many years, the #2 single cup version for backpacking and bicycle touring, the #6 eight cup for home and car camping.
These days it is a Bunn single station pour over at home and a 4 cup Mr Coffee simple brew for the motorhome. I still use the Melitta #2 for the the very little backpacking and bicycle touring I do these days.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:40 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Even Keurig now makes adapters that let you use regular ground coffee.
They have done that for years !! I just don't know why, It's a mess after you use it !!

Maybe because I only drink one cup a day I buy it a wally World 48 pods for $15 lasts me a month 1/2 !!
No Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Sweat View Post
They have done that for years !! I just don't know why, It's a mess after you use it !!
Maybe you need to try the newer model.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:17 AM   #35

You can get small 2x3 cotton bags withdraw strings on internet for about $15 for 200. I put the coffee in the bag, cinch it closed and toss it into the coffee pot, seeping overnight. Next morning fire it up and it makes awesome black coffee. You can toss the bag after use and black your boots with the stuff afterwards.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:57 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
I ground my coffee fresh daily, but that's just my preference. I use a pour-over cone filter into an insulated carafe. The difference is how the grounds are evenly saturated. How I heat the water depends on where we are camped. Some times I use my Camp Chef Pro cooktop outside, sometimes I use the cooktop in the RV, I have even boiled water on a open fire. I do the same thing every morning at the S&B.

I love coffee from a French press, but I find them to be too messy to clean up, especially while camping in the RV. Using a pour-over filter is much easier and makes coffee of equal quality.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:02 PM   #37

Oh NO! The dreaded coffee thread!

My name is Tom, and I am a latteoholic. I use an espresso machine - an old Krups pump machine in the motorhome. I have a Saeco superautomatic at home but I've been informed there's no room in on the motorhome counters for that beast so it stays home. If all my machines were taken from me I'd make lattes in an old spoon heated with a Bic lighter. Yeah, it's that bad.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
My wife loves the Keurig. I would not use it because of the waste. No, not wasted coffee. Wasted resources. The plastic cups, the foil caps, complicated expensive machine, large cardboard box with very little coffee in it. The wasted coffee when some goes unused is trivial compared to the waste in every Keurig cup.
!
Our younger daughter is a coffee "snob" and proud of it. Anyway she had a Keurig until some friends turned her on to a Nespresso (?), a similar style coffee maker. They ship the pods to you with the coffee you order, as you use them the pods are stored in the machine somewhere. You take them out when the space fills up and put them into a postage paid shipping container to be sent back with your next order. The pods are recycled!

Of course this is pretty pricey, but you can get some great coffee...well she likes it. She also has a French press which she uses when she's slow to reorder the other coffee .
Old 02-23-2019, 01:55 PM   #39

I’m a full fledged coffee geek— roasted my own for several years and have a cabinet full of various brewing methods at the house. I say geek and not snob because if happy with what you’re doing I’m cool with it and don’t judge.

But I know what I like and am somewhat particular about it.

No perc pots. No pods. No French press (unless some one else volunteers to clean the dang thing). Green coffee is good for a year; roasted is good for a month; ground is good for a minute.

With plenty of electricity, I use my small bonativa drip pot in the camper or technivorm at home. I do keep a quality electric burr grinder in the camper. My Victron panel reports my coffee pot takes well over 1600W to brew which is about right.

With less electricity, I use a hand grinder and a pour over cone.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:44 AM   #40
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Over the years I've tried all sorts of things including a spendy double-wall french press, a pressure pot and full sized dripper but finally settled on a low tech, reliable solution that takes almost no storage space.

A collapsible silicon pour over that takes #4 disposable filters.

Clean up is simple because you pull the used filter and throw it away and swish out the filter. No more trying to wash out a french press and all the parts. This one is large enough to make 2 large mugs and an insulated car cup sized backup for wandering the loop roads on the AM dog walk. The whole thing folds down into it's own carrier that is hockey puck thick and UNBREAKABLE.

In my camper I store the dripper and filters in the same quart size ziplock so they are always together - easy first thing in the morning...

pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	coffe_1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	236177

Name:	coffee_2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	236178

Name:	coffe_3.jpg
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	236179

You can buy these for under 20 bucks at any camping store or on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-.../dp/B01NGZ2MOY

I also store coffee in a cast off illy can. Not fan of their coffee but the cans rock.

Name:	illy.jpg
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	236180

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:40 PM   #41

Thor Owners Club
We carry a stovetop percolator, a one cup pour-over system and a single serve Keurig. I love coffee. .
neeliec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:44 PM   #42

Alpine Owners Club
Coffee

I am mystified. Electricity is scarce if not plugged in. I can boil water on propane stove easy. I need to buy propane about every 3 months. Use Chemex, M.elitta filter over cup or pot, Boda press...all easy and quick with no battery drain.
George Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote