Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2022, 08:11 PM   #57

Best coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. ed View Post
I normally drink only 1 cup of coffee a day, in the morning. I've always ground the beans fresh, just before brewing. However, being in a hurry while shopping, I neglected to grab a bag of whole bean, and instead purchased a bag of already ground instead (Walmart brand, because it was cheaper). At home, I opened the bag and noticed it had virtually no coffee odor. I tried brewing 1 cup and afterwards threw the remaining bag of coffee in the garbage.

I was shopping again, and this time purchased whole bean coffee. I opened the bag, and also noticed a lack of coffee odor. Even after grinding, that lucious coffee smell was mostly absent. I made a cup this morning, and it was sort of acceptable, but not up to my expectations. Anyhow, I'm not about to throw the remaining beans away, at almost $10 a bag. If my perception of coffee quality continues, I'll just need to quit coffee drinking entirely until it improves, if ever. I won't drink the instant product since that tastes like poison to me. I do like tea, so maybe I'll eventually go that route, and save $$ to boot.
This is what I have found that gives me the flavor and aroma I'm looking for. Very reasonable per pound cost and free shipping if you purchase $36. I buy the 5 lb bag of whole beans for $11.00 per pound. https://csrcoffee.com/collections/si...13353351577715
whynotam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2022, 08:31 PM   #58

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Obviously different preferences in coffee represented here.

I don’t adulterate my coffee. Prefer dark and black.

I subscribe to www.deathwishcoffee.com

That and Turkish coffee by Avilla in vacuum sealed bags are the only ones I enjoy.

All else is brown water. Especially that one chain that offers burnt brown water.. Yuck.

Not intended to insult or ruffle feathers.

😎
Bobbystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:52 PM   #59

Quote:
I'm now using a Mr. Coffee machine, which has been making acceptable coffee until now, but I sure miss the quality of the brew I was used to.
Look into a thing call ""aero press" it's a one cup press typically used for espresso but I used one all over the world to make one cup of regular (admittedly strong) coffee with a tablespoon of beans. You put a little paper filter in the bottom and your grind should be a bit finer than regular. Even weak stuff works but try to use better beans. Let it steep for a few minutes and press it out. Clean up is easy, press the little puck of used coffee into the trash and rinse. For 15 oz cup, make an "americano" but using a strong press with some water. Amazon can get you a press, filters, and small bags of beans on a budget.

I pulled duty in some pretty crappy places and my aero press was the star of my day.
LostTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:29 PM   #60

Quote:
I normally drink only 1 cup of coffee a day, in the morning. I've always ground the beans fresh, just before brewing. However, being in a hurry while shopping, I neglected to grab a bag of whole bean, and instead purchased a bag of already ground instead (Walmart brand, because it was cheaper). At home, I opened the bag and noticed it had virtually no coffee odor. I tried brewing 1 cup and afterwards threw the remaining bag of coffee in the garbage.

I was shopping again, and this time purchased whole bean coffee. I opened the bag, and also noticed a lack of coffee odor. Even after grinding, that lucious coffee smell was mostly absent. I made a cup this morning, and it was sort of acceptable, but not up to my expectations. Anyhow, I'm not about to throw the remaining beans away, at almost $10 a bag. If my perception of coffee quality continues, I'll just need to quit coffee drinking entirely until it improves, if ever. I won't drink the instant product since that tastes like poison to me. I do like tea, so maybe I'll eventually go that route, and save $$ to boot.
Try McDonald’s Breakfast Blend ground coffee brewed using filtered water. Make it better using a French press, Aeropress, or Chemex pour-over. Excellent results with little effort.
Old 08-11-2022, 11:57 PM   #61

Commentator Denis Leary discusses coffee:
https://youtu.be/-f_dxLiuXuw
Caution:
Denis can be enthusiastic about his coffee, and can sometimes have a 'potty-mouth'.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 12:01 AM   #62

I’m going to jump on the Aeropress bandwagon also. Been using one for 20 years. usually drink 2-3 cups in the morning. Water temperature is critical…195-200F. I also use a French press when I know I’m drinking more but admit the cleanup is a hassle.
Fresh coffee is key. I’ve never run into fresh coffee in a grocery store except for a time or two that I know a local roaster is selling in a local grocery store. Starbucks coffee is usually over roasted and tastes burnt.
Find a local roaster or try some of the subscription roasters. It costs more than Costco but if you miss the flavor, this is the surefire way to get that excitement back. Buy the Baratza Encore grinder for $100. It does great, lasts forever, and they have amazing customer service should anything go wrong.
Like wine, life’s too short to drink crummy coffee.
With just an hour or so on the internet or in your home town, you’ll be enjoying great coffee again.
Have fun!
WSUNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 01:01 AM   #63

I Second Dunkin Donut Brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardbait7 View Post
Try Dunkin Donut beans. I’ve tried many brands and this is my favorite. Like another poster, I often find good locally roasted beans while traveling. My morning is not complete without my mug of Java.
But then again I know nothing about coffee except don't throw it away , just add Whiskey to it
Old 08-12-2022, 01:05 AM   #64

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
I am fussy about my coffee. We brew every morning at home and in the MH and only brew Tim Hortons. Being in the south we have to order cans of it through Amazon and a can comes in about every month for about $18. Regular roast ground coffee. Great aroma when the can is open, and really good taste every morning. Happy camping.
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:23 AM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
When I had my business I started using a Keurig because I was tired of throwing away half a pot of coffee each day only to brew another 'fresh' pot. Years ago my then boss brewed coffee, poured herself a cup and then poured the rest of the pot into a thermos, it preserved the heat and the flavor!

Now I use a Keurig and our coffee of choice is from Angelino's coffee (website) where I buy the dark assortment. We enjoy it though we only go thru only 2 cups a day.
On the Road with 13 Rescued Cats
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:37 AM   #66

Coffee is a love hate deal.
We all have a different opinion. I like a dark roast. Prefer black but these days I need to cut it with 1% milk. No cream ever. All I can taste is grease.

Starbucks? Nope! Some like it and that is fine. Tastes burnt to me.

To each his own. I use a K-rig thing with a refillable pod. That way I’m not adding to the landfill. Only problem I find is it is not hot enough so 30 sec in the microwave and I’m good. AAAAAAH bliss
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:09 AM   #67

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a Canadian coffee we just love and it's not expensive but delicious.
The closest thing to it in the US that I can find is McCafe. It brews very well in our drip coffee maker in the motorhome
mbstrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:24 AM   #68

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agree with baraff (post #14). Second, third, fourth (!) cup never tastes as good as the first cup. Have to have a 24 hr re-set I guess. I ran into the same problem of coffee not smelling like coffee. It seems the problem was using the K cup brewer all the time. The little insert cups keep the oils inside of it and don’t release them to the air. Went back to grinding my own beans and using a drip brewer whenever possible. Want more of that heavenly smell? Try using a percolator brewer. As to fresh coffee smell from the beans or grind, switch brands. You might just be getting nose blind with you favorite.

The only other thing is maybe Juan Valdez retired. Remember him from a coffee commercial years back? “Only the finest Columbian beans are picked by Juan Valdez”. I miss him.

Our sense of smell & taste will start to diminish with age. Zinc is prescribed for helping bring it back some. My father had that problem when his life odometer hit 65. Good luck.
Jchemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 09:51 AM   #69

I had something similar happen with a $50 pound of tea. I contacted the company and they offered me either a refund or a replacement. I went for the replacement of a different variety and was thrilled with their service level.

Never hurts to ask…
Old 08-12-2022, 09:57 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
All of the residential coffee makers on the market today will NEVER compare to a commercial BUNN Coffee Maker. Don't get fooled by one of their non-commercial machines. Not the same. It's all about having the proper water temperature when brewing coffee.

I only purchase Peets Coffee Beans usually at Sam's Club.

I drink one cup in the morning so I want it to be the very BEST one that I can make.
Surf Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coffee, quality