Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2005, 04:38 AM   #1

We saw on the news that it was 54 degrees BELOW 0 Monday in Embarrass Minnesota!
I hope no one was out in an RV at those temperatures. We have been in ours with some early morning temps at 18 degrees, but -54 is impossible for me (in south Texas) to even begin to guess what that feels like. BRRRRRRR How does someone keep their house at even 55 degrees when it is -54 outside? That would be a 110 degree difference the heater is trying to maitain! WOW
Stay warm all
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2005, 04:38 AM   #2

We saw on the news that it was 54 degrees BELOW 0 Monday in Embarrass Minnesota!
I hope no one was out in an RV at those temperatures. We have been in ours with some early morning temps at 18 degrees, but -54 is impossible for me (in south Texas) to even begin to guess what that feels like. BRRRRRRR How does someone keep their house at even 55 degrees when it is -54 outside? That would be a 110 degree difference the heater is trying to maitain! WOW
Stay warm all
Old 01-18-2005, 04:47 AM   #3

Hey Two Bit, it's simple, you stay in bed with the electric blanket full on! We don't get quite that low, but we've had minus 40 and the furnace kept us toaty warm in the house, uses up fuel like a 45 foot motorhome going 80 mph however! One consolation, NO BUGS!

I cannot see any RV habitable in that temp range. And do enjoy South Texas, wish we were there. We'll be heading South right after our grandaughter's birthday.

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:50 AM   #4

At -54? **** freezes over and the NHL begin their season!

I want to try it one night, sleeping out in the camper et -20/-25 just to try it out. My gang did it at -44? on the Saguenay River two years ago. Only difference is that it is a fifteen second run to the house for me, whilst they were Booning in the true sense of the word.

On a positive note. Anything colder than -40?, the human body does not know the difference. That's comforting.....Jim

https://coldjosh.nstemp.com/index.html
2Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:59 PM   #5

We are at zero right now with wind chill at -25.To cold for me,everything starts to go wrong at these temps.Work trucks wont start ,frozen water lines.I talked myself into a day off tomorrow

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:31 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Two bit,
You were wondering what -54 feels like. Well that's easy to answer. It doesn't feel like anything as were frozen solid at that point. The homes up here are built for that kind of temp and the furnace keeps us roasty toasty, but I still wish that I could be were you are.
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:40 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
And people ask me why I moved out of Minnesota!!

Glenn
Old 01-19-2005, 03:39 AM   #8

You must have a high heating bill. Our house uses about 500-600 gallons of propane per year. That is with propane heat, water heater, clothes dryer,and cooking.
On another note, our gasoline has gone from $1.61 two days ago to $1.78 a gallon today ????
Old 01-19-2005, 08:18 AM   #9

Hey.....A buck seventy-eight a gallon? Here in eastern Canada we'd be glad to pay that. We're paying 86.4/liter around Québec City. Bob, how's that figure out in dollars and cents?

Some years ago we were building oil rigs and we compared out heating bills with the A/C bills with guys from around Houston/Galveston area, and we found it was cheaper to keep warm here than to keep cool down there.

Did you see that ice hotel on Good Morning America? That is very near here.

Old 01-19-2005, 08:31 AM   #10

Wait a minute..Let me re-phrase that question.

What would 86.4¢ per liter Cdn be in price per gallon U.S.? Tere now, that's better. ..Jim

Old 01-19-2005, 02:42 PM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
86.4 cents per liter is approximately equal to $3.95 per US gallon in equivalent CDN dollars.
Two bit,
It costs me approximately $840 (Canadian $$) per year to heat my 1600 sq. ft. home. I'm not sure how that compares to your costs.
Canuck

300HP Cat 3126E, 6Sp Allison
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:58 PM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
My reserve propane tank is a 500 gallon unit (holds 400 gallons).
I have fuel oil heat, propane heat, and electric (dual fuel) heat. It doesn't make sense to live here.

My brother-in-law had to start a charcoal fire under his propane tank to get it to start flowing into his house. He's way up there in the minus 40 area. They lose one every now and then up there when they're not careful with the charcoal fires. It doesn't make sense to live here.

It's so cold we start repeating ourselves. It doesn't make sense to live here.

The mosquitos are wearing long underwear.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 08:08 AM   #13

I make it about $2.39 US per american gallon!

We are paying 72.9 CDN per litre in Ontario, have to wait for them to drop the price though as it will range to 79.9!!!

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 02:40 PM   #14

As an "X" Minnesotan/North Dakotan----I really can't fathom -40 or -54 or whatever. I guess its been too many years-----moved to sunny FL in the mid-70's (by the way that was our temp. today mid-70's). Seeing the price of fuel in Canada-----no wonder so many Canadians think they have died and gone to heaven when they get to Florida. I do my Minnesota camping during the other season---JULY