Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
How about this oldie?
Wow,,, Don what year is that lantern ??? Never seen one with the tank on top.....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2015, 09:19 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi ALL,
I still have my 2 lanterns and the cook stove I started camping with in 1972 and they work like new.They have a Coleman store in Foley.AL that I go in when we are down there just to look around.They do carry some parts for the old stuff.Safe Travels all.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:24 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
ArmandV - check this place for lantern and stove parts:

OldColemanParts.com :: Search results
Domo arigato gozaimasu! I just contacted them to see if they carry parts for J. C. Higgins brand of campstoves. We'll see what they say.

ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:28 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In checking over my stove I inherited from my grandfather, I found that it is not a J. C. Higgins but a Sears Ted Williams Model 776.74150.

This one is identical to it:

[/URL][/IMG]
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:37 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't collect old ones, but I have been using them for 45 years. I have both "real" Coleman stoves and lanterns. I also regularly use a single burner MSR stove designed for backpackers but that I use more often to heat my coffee water.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:49 PM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Watched a recent episode of American pickers where they came across and bought one of the first models of Coleman lanterns...
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:45 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow, such memories! I used to be afraid of the lantern thinking it was going to blow up every time my dad lit it up. It was a real right of passage to be old enough and BRAVE enough to light it myself. Our gas stove died a couple years ago and even replacing the leather and generator didn't work, so we bought a propane one, still Coleman. I still have the old white gas lantern and I also have a Coleman camp kitchen that I like to set up when we are out. It save me from having to run in and out of the Coach when I am cooking outside, specially for small clean ups.
AZGypsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:13 PM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My old Scout troop 325 in Los Angeles retired all of our old Coleman pump lanterns and stoves right around 1976, (the Bicentennial !). Only adults were allowed to fuel and light the pump models. After a few fireball incidents, it was determined that it was time to upgrade to portable propane.

All the new propane stoves and lanterns were usable by all scouts in the troop who had earned their cooking and camping merit badges. It was a right of passage!

An even bigger right of passage in the scout troop was using the Coleman stovetop oven, on a Coleman stove to successfully bake breakfast biscuits for your entire patrol, but that's another story!
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:57 PM   #37

I got tired of having the rubber seals in the pumps go bad. It always seemed to happen at the worst possible time. I finally got a kit to convert the stove to propane. There isn't any way to convert the lantern, so I just pitched it.

I also still have my ols Svea stove. It is an all brass, white gas, single burner, backpacking stove that was made in Sweden. Interestingly, they work without a pump. They are a little tricky to light, but once lit, the heat from the stove vaporizes enough gas to force it out of the nozzle. I still use it for canoe camping. http://www.amazon.com/Optimus-Svea-Stove/dp/B002IAGZC2 .

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:54 PM   #38

I still have a Bernzomatic 2 burner propane stove from the 60's when my dad bought it with green stamps.

Tags
gas